Walmart Bribery Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart Bribery Scandal

It is reported that Walmart engaged in bribery in Mexico. The news says they could be looking at fines in the 9 figure range. Whew. While I am no fan of Walmart for a lot of reasons, I think the law they seem to have their problems with is unrealistic because bribery is just the way business is conducted in a lot of the world. If you don't pay the baksheesh you don't even get in the door. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. I find it very hard to believe oil companies have not greased palms in the Middle East where the practice has been perfected to a fine art; if Walmart is in trouble for bribing Mexican officials, how can US oil companies operating in the Mideast not have broken the same law? Its possible, I suppose, like the sun rising in the west tomorrow morning. Laws should be realistic. All laws. I am kind of a Theodore Roosevelt Democrat (yeah, I know he was a Republican)--being big isn't inherently bad. There are enough real problems with Walmart that could get attention but following business customs in foreign countries is not, should not be one of them.

Re: Walmart Bribery Scandal

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    I think the law they seem to have their problems with is unrealistic because bribery is just the way business is conducted in a lot of the world.
    And Lopeti, it happens all the time in the USA! A long time ago, I was an urban planner. My boss, the Planning Director, was offered a bribe to approve a project contrary to the zoning code. He refused the bribe and called me in to witness his refusal. He didn't report the incident to the City Council because it was a relatively small town and he wanted to keep his job.

I think the law is realistic. These guys should serve some jail time.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
      1)...I think the law they seem to have their problems with is unrealistic because bribery is just the way business is conducted in a lot of the world...It shouldn't be that way, but it is. ...Laws should be realistic. ...
      Originally posted by matapule View Post
      2)...I think the law is realistic. These guys should serve some jail time.
      1) First off a LAW is the law. And if something shouldn't be that way... It shouldn't!

2) Hear, Hear!
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

When in Rome ....
        These forms of kickbacks are par for that course.
        Corruption is normal ....all systems penetrated and turned.
        Advise read the biographies of the last dozen Mexican presidents.
        It makes for entertaining insights.

see LBJ and some of his friends.

Comment

Yep, rules and laws is just for us little folk.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
          X