Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logistics - Any Advice??? :)

Aloha all!

I've been in and out of this forum for a year or so - and we are finally finally making our arrangements to get to the lovely island of Hawai'i.

I am making a guess that some of you may have had the same logistics complications that I have:
    1. Pets (an elderly dog, 2 lazy cats, 2 tiny birds)
    2. Housing (see #1)
    3. Transport (see #1)

We are looking for a house to rent that will allow them. I have found a few (we have a budget up to 2K/month). Everyone is cleared for quarantine and is ready to go.

Logistics issue #1: We are flying from the US east coast and we don't normally get to HNL until 2:30 or so in the afternoon. The prospect of clearing quarantine, getting interisland to Hilo, getting a mini-van, and driving to an unknown lo action in the pitch dark of Hawai'i is sub-optimal. We've thought about staying on Oahu for a day to a week, but where to put pets??? Has anyone here flown that kind of schedule with critters, and if so, what was your approach?

Logistics issue #2: Our dog is in a very large crate, and we have 3 more medium sized crates of pets as well. They fill a minivan. And although we are traveling light, we will have full suitcases as well. Any suggestions on how to get from airport to accommodations? Again, anyone with such an issue before?

Logistics issue #3: Any advice on how to find short-term housing for us with pets? I have read other posts about it - Humane society pages, and that sort of thing.....it is a desperate plea. We need a fairly flexible lease so that when we buy a house, we can move into it!

Mahalo for your insights- I very much appreciate them! This is the realization of a dream we have worked towards DAILY since we were married 5 years ago on Kauai. I created my business in such a way that not only would I not need to take a job in Hawai'i, but that I can create at least one for someone else---all for this time right now. We are very excited - we have been working very hard for a long time on this, so insights are SO VERY MUCH appreciated.

(As far as the business goes, I'd be happy to give insight there if you want to PM me with Qs.)

Re: Logistics - Any Advice???

Originally posted by ginabeena View Post

Mahalo for your insights- I very much appreciate them! This is the realization of a dream we have worked towards DAILY since we were married 5 years ago on Kauai. I created my business in such a way that not only would I not need to take a job in Hawai'i, but that I can create at least one for someone else---all for this time right now. We are very excited - we have been working very hard for a long time on this, so insights are SO VERY MUCH appreciated.
    Holy cow! You're traveling around with a small zoo there! Kinda reminds me of the old joke - you know you're free at last when the kids leave home for good
    , the mortgage is paid, and the dog dies! LOL !

Aloha!

Comment

No kidding! We are a "blended" family!

We've found a place to stay! Just a couple of weeks to go!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ginabeena View Post
        No kidding! We are a "blended" family!

We've found a place to stay! Just a couple of weeks to go!!!!!!!!!

Wow! That's great!... are you on Oahu? Are you renting?

Comment

Yes we are while we seek out a house. We are on Kauai for starters. Lucky us!!!!

Comment

How wonderful you found a place ahead of time that allows your cats, dog and bird. I recently moved back to the Big Island (Hawaii Island) with three cats.

It is trickier finding rentals that allow pets. Some allow dogs but not cats and vice versa. But anyway, as you have found out - ohana means nobody gets left behind :-)

We arrived with two hours to spare to pick up our kitties from quarantine and then a friend picked up up at the Hilo airport who we rented from the first couple month, but the neighborhood had gone to pot, or more specifically to crack, and we found a nice place to rent up at Volcano where our cats are in heaven.

If you have any questions about the 5 day or release, I'd call and email them. If you're landing at 2:30 p.m., you should be able to make it to your final destination before dark.

I know you have your tickets already but for others reading this post, if you fly ATA you are allowed one pet per person in the passenger cabin (to Hawaii!), but they have lots of rules - like the pet must be able to fit comfortably under seat in carrier. We have one cat with a heart murmur and were going to do this, but we were short one passenger...my son and I and three cats that is. Anyway our cats I think were far less stressed than we.

Aloha :-)
            Hawaii Eco Travel Budget Guides
            www.CoconutRoads.com
            "Taking you to the Heart of Hawaii"

Comment

Thank you Miss Cindy!

We think we should be OK to Kauai. It is a bit tight on time, but if we miss an interisland, then we do, and we will just deal with it. I am not going to stress over this any more than I already have.

Lucky us, indeed! Our ohana stays intact.

Comment

Working...
              X