Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to Move to the Big Island (from Socal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to Move to the Big Island (from Socal)

Hey guys! I'm new to this board, so aloha!

I just returned from the Peace Corps after previosuly working in the film industry for five years. In the film industry, I did mostly administrative tasks but also have set experience as well (two tv shows and about 4 different films). I'm 28, single with no baggage.

I just had a preliminary phone interview with the Hilton Waikoloa and overall, it went pretty well. I also found some jobs with Remedy staffing that I would be qualified for!

So, I was just curious as to general advice for moving to the Big Island. I've found a few 1 bed / studios that are cheaper than anything out here (LA proper). I REALLY want to relocate and get out for awhile...

Advice? Suggestions? What's it like out there on the B.I? I've been reading a few posts and it seems that the island of Hawaii is the best bang-for-your-buck, less-touristy spot. What about particular areas to live? I would prefer to be relatively close to the Hilton (if all continues to go well)...

I appreciate your help!

Mahalo

Kurt
    Last edited by fireandh20; January 28, 2007, 10:31 AM.

Re: Looking to Move to the Big Island (from Socal)

Hi Kurt...I can't help you with the Big Island. I live on Oahu and work in the film industry. What area of the country did you spend 5 years in the biz?!

Welcome to Hawaii Threads.

Comment

Hey!

I worked in Los Angeles / Hollywood as a Key PA (twice), 1st AD, and as a PA on a few productions. I then worked in talent management for a few years, but found that babysitting actors who want 6000 / day instead of 5000 / day was not my cup of tea, so to speak.. I decided then to go out and help the world as much as I could, so I packed up and joined the Peace Corps, serving in the Republic of Georgia (the former Soviet Republic) where I taught English to 2nd-8th graders...

My most recent experience was working on the Eukanuba Dog Show for Animal Planet as a Key PA in the Art Department. Fun, yes...stable? Nope..A two day shoot? Not exactly stable...

Where do you work in the industry? Would be awesome to know that I COULD still remain somehow in "the biz", although at this point I only have had the first interview with the Hilton...

AND on that note it pays 14/hour. You think it's enough? 40 hours/week + some weekends and holidays. I have a car payment but that's pretty much it...Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by fireandh20 View Post
        Hey guys! I'm new to this board, so aloha!

I just returned from the Peace Corps after previosuly working in the film industry for five years. In the film industry, I did mostly administrative tasks but also have set experience as well (two tv shows and about 4 different films). I'm 28, single with no baggage.

I just had a preliminary phone interview with the Hilton Waikoloa and overall, it went pretty well. I also found some jobs with Remedy staffing that I would be qualified for!

So, I was just curious as to general advice for moving to the Big Island. I've found a few 1 bed / studios that are cheaper than anything out here (LA proper). I REALLY want to relocate and get out for awhile...

Advice? Suggestions? What's it like out there on the B.I? I've been reading a few posts and it seems that the island of Hawaii is the best bang-for-your-buck, less-touristy spot. What about particular areas to live? I would prefer to be relatively close to the Hilton (if all continues to go well)...

I appreciate your help!

Mahalo

Kurt

The Big Island is amazing. The only really touristy spot is Kailua Kona. It's not crowded like Oahu (also amazing ). If you like hiking, swimming, snorkleing etc, you're in for a good time. South Kona is definitely my favorite area. It also still has alot of "old Hawaii" charm left to it, which is a good thing.

Coming from SoCal, you'll most likely prefer the west side of the leeward of the island (Kona) , much less rain...more like SoCal weather.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

That's what I've heard, but do u think 14/hour is enough for a single guy on the B.I.? I would rent a 1bed / studio, and from what I've seen, the prices are reasonable. I know in L.A. 14/hour is enough to live on if you're single and are renting...I also saw that they have a Costco there...a big plus...

And I would want to live on the leeward side anyway...closer to work (assuming I end up at the Hilton)...BTW I interviewed for an Events Coordinator Admin Assistant position...

Comment

That's what I've heard, but do u think 14/hour is enough for a single guy on the B.I.? I would rent a 1bed / studio, and from what I've seen, the prices are reasonable. I know in L.A. 14/hour is enough to live on if you're single and are renting...I also saw that they have a Costco there...a big plus...

And I would want to live on the leeward side anyway...closer to work (assuming I end up at the Hilton)...BTW I interviewed for an Events Coordinator Admin Assistant position...
            It may be a little tight. The rents are maybe a little lower than LA (I live in LA too) but everything else costs a little more. Milk is $6 a gallon in Hawaii ! Gas is about 30 to 40 cents more a gallon. Car registration is alot more. Sales tax is less. Food overall is more expensive.

Also , it depends on your lifestyle. You may be ok on on $14 an hour, but some overtime will probably help out quite a bit. Alot of people living in Hawaii have 2 and 3 jobs. Some of the BI residents should weigh in on this...

Comment

Hey!

I worked in Los Angeles / Hollywood as a Key PA (twice), 1st AD, and as a PA on a few productions. I then worked in talent management for a few years, but found that babysitting actors who want 6000 / day instead of 5000 / day was not my cup of tea, so to speak..[...]My most recent experience was working on the Eukanuba Dog Show for Animal Planet as a Key PA in the Art Department. Fun, yes...stable? Nope..A two day shoot? Not exactly stable...

Where do you work in the industry? Would be awesome to know that I COULD still remain somehow in "the biz", although at this point I only have had the first interview with the Hilton...[...]
              A 1st AD? Was that on an indie film? I'm a casting director and would be loathe to work on the talent side! I was a script supervisor for years in LA. When I moved to Hawaii I had to branch out into other areas of production so that I could work more. I've been a PA, PM, PC and a producer. I owned a production company at one time...when I had energy to spare! I eventually found myself working around the clock and around the calendar. At one point I retired but after a few years I really missed working with my industry friends. I jumped back in and limited myself to casting commercials only and eventually limited myself to casting local commercials only. I got very, very tired with dealing with the mainland industry's demanding, ego-driven, do-it-yesterday-dammit mentality.

Stability is tougher in Hawaii than in LA...the Big Island, tougher still. Tax incentives are now in place for filming on all the islands but the incentive is higher for outter islands. I doubt you could make a living in the industry on the BI.
              Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
              [...]Sales tax is less.[...]
              Well...yes and no! It's not a sales tax; rather a general excise tax. The rate is lower than California but we get taxed on almost everything...medical care, rent...you name it! No tax on drug prescriptions, tho!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

Well...yes and no! It's not a sales tax; rather a general excise tax. The rate is lower than California but we get taxed on almost everything...medical care, rent...you name it! No tax on drug prescriptions, tho!

I was gonna mention the excise tax, but wasn't really sure on what it exactly included...RENT....damn, that's messed up. Thanx for clearing that up Sue.
                Being only a visitor, I didn't get affected by the excise tax as much as you residents, but I did pay 11% on my rentals on everything, so maybe that's part of it ?

Anway, do you think it can be done on $14 an hour ?

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                  Coming from SoCal, you'll most likely prefer the west side of the leeward of the island (Kona) , much less rain...more like SoCal weather.
                  Why would someone want to leave to go somewhere that person was trying to get away from?

Other than Hotels in Waiakoloa and a few Heiau scattered through out the west side there's not a whole lot going on in Kona. Yes it has somewhat of a nightlife but nothing comparable to anything in Honolulu much less SoCal.

Hilo (East side) has even less of a night life unless you consider hanging out at the Safeway parking lot at midnight drinking beer a wild night out on the town. There are a few clubs but pretty ghetto compared to Honolulu or even Kona to some level.

But if you're looking for a decent town to live in, Hilo's where you want. Yes it rains but not as much as it used to back in the 60's and 70's. The weather is pretty much like Honolulu.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    Hilo (East side) has even less of a night life unless you consider hanging out at the Safeway parking lot at midnight drinking beer a wild night out on the town.
                    Hilo is way too quiet for us Kona people. Hilo only has a Safeway parking lot. Kona people like to hang out at the giant parking lot at WALMART! Because we really know how to live it up on this side of the island!!

Comment

I know I realy envy you guys on the West end. You guys got the best parking lots

Comment

Hmmm...ok....so 14/hour sounds tight. The rents I found though were pretty low...anywhere from 450-800 a month could be doable for a guy with no kids, and only a car payment, yeah? OT probably would be possible, since the job entails working in Event Coordination, which as you know is a round-the-clock venture...I suppose too, I could find a rommmate and split the cost for rent?

Regarding the film industry. I can imagine that jobs are scarce out there for production, and I know the pay is crap (here I was getting about 120 / day for my PA jobs)...The 1st AD thing was on an indie that never made it..a "Deffered Pay" job that as you know means 99 percent of the time you work pro-bono...<sigh>

So, the Islands are beckoning...based on general cost, especially the Big Island..BUT through Remedy Staffing I found a few opportunities that are more in the 30-40k per year range with benefits...one of which was a Television Executive Administrator job in Mapunapuna...very interesting...

The bottom line is I'm pushing really hard to get out there, but don't want to be left high and dry work-wise. I just had an interview with a temp agency whose jobs run in the 15-20 dollar / hour range in Honolulu...Is THAT worht looking into...I'm half-Italian and stubborn, so I will settle for nothing less than an encouragement to come! HOWEVER, bills are real, jobs are real, and so it's time for me to ask you...SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO? I really want to move out there!!!!

Oh and if there ARE production jobs out there (Commecial, film , television)...then I would be eager to work in that field (as that's where the majority of my experience is)...
                        Last edited by fireandh20; January 29, 2007, 10:06 AM.

Comment

What's out in Mapunapuna other than Olelo? As for rent plan for closer to $800 per month. I think you can rent a refrigerator cardboard box for around $450

If you plan on staying in the film industry, the Big Island may not suit you and may have to focus on Oahu.

Comment

Have you actually visited the BI yet ?

I would recommend you at least go there first. Definitely DO NOT just MOVE there blindly....

You should most definitely read "So You want to Live in Hawaii". A revised 2006 edition came out last year and is pretty current.

Also, most people on this board have spoken of the high cost of living in Hawaii, but most say alot of things on the islands make up for it. It IS hawaii fer chrissakes ! It depends what makes you happy. My one friend living on the BI says "You bring yourself with you, wherever you go" , which is a great statement. So, a change of scenery isn't necessarily going to make things better for you, but they just might.
                            I know my move from depressing Long Island to Los Angeles sure did. Nothing better than the feeling of getting to start over. Just know that there are certain things that geography won't change, no matter how beautiful the scenery. Sure makes things a little sweeter tho'.

As for me, I like a little fast pace and city type energy, so I'm not sure a full time residence on the BI would suit me full time, thus, my goal is an eventual part time residence there. Once business is good enough to allow it, I'd ultimately like to spend 4-6 months living in Hawaii, and the rest in LA. It's a long term goal of mine that i'm working towards.

Comment

I will say that I honestly can't go there to see what it's like...I am working as a temp right now and need the $$ so I can save up a little bit more. This is why I have been scouring the net for ideas on what life IS like, so I can make a better decision.

Lifestyle-wise, I'm pretty much open. I do prefer more laid-back surroundings over the fast city life. I'm willing to deal with both, which is why I don't necessarily have an island preference. The only reason I have focused on the B.I is because of the Hilton (should I get the job there), but if I get a job in Honolulu then I will focus my energy on getting THERE. Fortunately the Peace Corps taught me how to scrape by with what little you have. Sure, sacrifices have to be made, but those are trite compared to what sacrafices I made living in a borderline third-world country. (I THINK anyway)

Ready to rock-and-roll and thanks for all your advice. Keep it coming! Should the HILTON work out tho, I would probably focus on living near Waikoloa. That seems to have the best values for living. Any suggestions on areas that are most cost-effective for a $14/hour job? Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
                              X