Re: Hawaii bound

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Wow, flattered. She's purdy.
    <3 EriKa
    ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
      Only as important as bigots choose to make them.

Just like any other place in this world.
      Ethnic heritage is not an area of interest to bigots alone.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina View Post
        They sell horses based on breed. They used to sell people based on breed. Now you want to prevent me from buying property based on breed. I love America!
        I would deny you property in Hawaii? I would discourage non-residents from owning as I see this as a basic problem for residents.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by ErikaMarie View Post
          OK, well I'll introduce myself. I'm Native American (Cherokee)
          Hey, we're everywhere!

Hi, ErikaMarie! Cherokee on my mom's side (but I take after my dad's, the Vikings). Mom's people were from Florida, too. And Georgia, and Oklahoma. But she grew up in Florida, mostly.

Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
            Hey, we're everywhere!

Hi, ErikaMarie! Cherokee on my mom's side (but I take after my dad's, the Vikings). Mom's people were from Florida, too. And Georgia, and Oklahoma. But she grew up in Florida, mostly.

Welcome!

Yeah, it seems these days everyone's grandmother was a Cherokee princess.

Thanx for the welcome.
            <3 EriKa
            ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              You had me until this point, MW - can you clarify a little for me?

Now that I've thought about and read the replies, I've changed my thinking. My first reaction was because it reminded me of the by-laws in early Palm Springs developments that prevented houses from being resold to African-Americans.

But I agree that I should not tie up limited property in Hawaii if I do not intend to reside there. Hopefully, I can visit friends in Pahoa and the North Shore who will accept me as someone who respects the land and culture, and I will not be relegated to places like Waikiki and Kailua-Kona where it is assumed that I am a rude, clueless tourist because of my ethnicity.

Comment

As I read the early stages of this thread. I felt like I could relate to your situation. My girlfriend (eventual wife) are planning on moving to Hawaii, the BI to be specific. We both grew up in the North East.

We dont like the pace of life, the climate, or the cold personalities. It is rare for anyone to say hello or make eye contact with anyone that they do not know. People don't hold doors or let you in to traffic. It the little things that tell you how unfriendly people are.

We both moved to the south for college. It is a little better. Southern Hospitality does exist. The people of the bible belt however can be intolerant. Politicaly and Socialy speaking we don't really fit in here. Not that people are mean about it. We try not to press our opinions on others and those that we know grant us the same respect. Still we know that this is not where we are meant to be.

We looked into the Virgin Islands for a time. We like a lot of things about them, but there is a similar conservatism to the VI that is found in the South. Not in the tourist areas but in the residential areas. Also friends of ours have told us that the government there is a mess. I know I know it is every where in the US, but VI's independant government is supposedly quite corrupt.

We feel that we are being called to hawaii. Like you said earlier it is of course not a utopia. No where is.... Living in hawaii we know will be quite different from visiting. The things that we really want in hawaii is the weather, nature, ocean, and hopefully there will be enough aloha to extend to us.

I am a real estate investor.... I hope that didnt put anyone off. I dont want to move to HI because of real estate. I love real estate and I love the hopefully realistic image i have of life on the islands. It is not a get rich quick scheme. I have been interested in real estate since high school. My girlf wants to be a special ed. teacher.

As far as the whole race issue on here goes. I will admit that I grew up in a place with two asian families and that was about it for diversity. I love learning about other cultures other cultures though. I suppose german and spanish won't help me much there, but o well.... I wish race didn't matter... At the same time i think it is important for people to be diverse and hold on to their culture. We all just need to be open to eachother. I do have cherokee in my family, but like your bf i look 110% white.... with blond hair and blue eyes. I hope that kindness on our part can overcome any discrimination that may occur against us. It would of course be eye opening to be the recipient of such actions. As much as I hate racism I am sure if anyone deserves it would be people that look like I. We have done much harm to many groups of people.

Is there anywhere in hawaii to get Yerba Mate? I know random question... but I am absolutely hooked on this amazing beverage. If you have never heard of it you may want to google it.

You may be able to tell by this excessively long post, but I enjoy writting. I know I have neither brought much to the table nor asked many questions. I just wanted you to know that there is someone who can relate.

Another Hawaii bound soul trapped on the East Coast....
                Seth

Comment

Originally posted by sand86 View Post
                  Is there anywhere in hawaii to get Yerba Mate? I know random question... but I am absolutely hooked on this amazing beverage. If you have never heard of it you may want to google it.

Seth
                  When I was in Argentina it seemed the whole country was addicted to that stuff. Addiction to stimulants(meth/ice) is huge in Hawaii. You'll be fine.

Comment

Your not comparing my Yerba to hard synthetic stimulants are you... lol....I wish I could move today. I've been surfing the net reading about Hilo, which is where we are hoping to move to. I know it rains all the time.... I have read Affordable Paradise.... and I am getting So you want to live in Hawaii... are there any other books that you suggest. I'm sorry Erika im not meaning to hijack your thread. SinJin i am indeed hopped up on Yerba right now. Maybe I am addicted, but atleast it is a healthy addiction.

thanks all and much love

Comment

Originally posted by sand86 View Post
                      Your not comparing my Yerba to hard synthetic stimulants are you... lol....I wish I could move today. I've been surfing the net reading about Hilo, which is where we are hoping to move to. I know it rains all the time.... I have read Affordable Paradise.... and I am getting So you want to live in Hawaii... are there any other books that you suggest. I'm sorry Erika im not meaning to hijack your thread. SinJin i am indeed hopped up on Yerba right now. Maybe I am addicted, but atleast it is a healthy addiction.

thanks all and much love
                      Just yanking your chain.

Hilo is really nice despite the frequent rain.

Comment

yeah i know you were.... Rain is fine as long as its warm. Does anyone know of any other forums like this one. I am just trying to gather as much information as I can. Since I can't move right now I enjoy learning as much as I can... hopefully that will help the eventual move go smoother. I heard somewhere that chickens eat Coqui frogs if this is true and I move to the BI I may just need to have a small flock of chickens....lol Is there any truth in this though?

Comment

Great place to visit, but...

HT's own Erika Engle has a story in this morning's Star Bulletin about a poll that showed that people on CONUS would prefer to live in seven states more than they would in Hawai'i. People living outside the US, however, ranked Hawai'i as their #3 most desirable place to live in the US.

Hawai'i ranks highest for its people, climate, culture, environment and architecture (?) but 48th of all the states in terms of affordability, amenities and infrastructure (danged traffic).

"We have this fantastic brand name," Smyth said, but Hawaii's tourism image is different from what we would sell to someone who wants to move here, open a business here or go to school here.

Also, visitors to a state spend money in different ways than locals and don't get a true resident's view of that state, he said.
                          In other words, "visit Hawai'i, spend your money and then go home."

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Great place to visit, but...

Originally posted by Miulang View Post

In other words, "visit Hawai'i, spend your money and then go home."

Miulang

What does a poll have anything to do w/ me & whether or not I would be happy living in Hawaii?
                            <3 EriKa
                            ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Re: Great place to visit, but...

Originally posted by ErikaMarie View Post
                              What does a poll have anything to do w/ me & whether or not I would be happy living in Hawaii?
                              It just means that maybe people who want to move to Hawai'i aren't doing it just because it would be a neat experience...most are actually doing their homework and after weighing the pros and cons of such a move, are deciding that moving to Hawai'i wouldn't be as swell as just spending 2 weeks there on vacation.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It's a good thing not everyone wants to live in hawaii. There isnt room for everyone. That goes for every state... Well Alaska could hold quite a few..but thats not the point.

Polls tell you what the MAJORITY wants. I nor Erika are the majority we are just two individuals. Sorry about speaking for you.... but I think you willl agree to this.

You just have to find one that fits you. I feel like hawaii fits me and so I am going to move there and hopefully i am right... but if I am not no big deal.

I know you are just trying to tell people that it is important to do research and I totaly agree. Thankyou for warning me. From all of the research I have done I really believe this is where I will be most happy not that I am unhappy anywhere else.

I think somepeople are unhappy and think moving to somewhere nice like hawaii will change that. That probably doesnt work out for many people, but thats not why I want to go there.

Comment

Working...
                                X