Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Living on Oahu Claustrophobic?

Originally posted by lavagal
    I'm from NJ, so always close to water. I would go crazy if I lived in Wyoming or Nebraska. When I was in the USAF and stationed at Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert, I appreciated it for what it was, and for a big part of the year, the expansive lake beds weren't actually dry. But I hated how remote it was. I needed the ocean. I put in for worldwide after being there a year. I got orders to Hawaii. I suspect had I asked for Hawaii, I would have ended up at Oh My God Nebraska, I cannot remember the real name of that base, but that's what we called it.
    I look out over the ocean, and if I'm not looking at the neighbor islands, I'm seeing an expansive sea, and I feel such peace. It is perfect.
    Aye, I have the same issue with water. That would probably override any "claustrophobic" feelings I'll ever have again. So I believe that you need to look at this in terms of what you like versus what you feel uncomfortable about, and see which one conquers the other

Comment

This probably sounds weird, but I actually get "rock fever" here sometimes. It probably partially goes back to what MH said (sleeping, working, doing dishes) 'cause I don't get out and hike and such nearly enough here, but in the non-summer months the mountain passes are often covered in snow... and we are surrounded by mountains. Mountains to the west, between us and the ocean, mountains to the east, between us and desert. Mountains to the south between us and California, and mountains to the north above BC Canada. Unless you have a 4WD and/or snow chains you aren't leaving the valley here during the winter, when one could most make use of that weather break. And with the holidays going on, plane tickets aren't usually cheap either.

It's interesting to hear about people's varying upbringing and "rock fevers" too, like feeling out of place near the ocean if they were raised inland. I've spent the majority of my life, including childhood, far away from oceans (like 6+ hour drive far away), and these days I feel like I can't get close enough. Felt totally at piece in Hawai'i surrounded by ocean. We'll see if that holds up for a more extended stay...

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
        Aye, I have the same issue with water. That would probably override any "claustrophobic" feelings I'll ever have again. So I believe that you need to look at this in terms of what you like versus what you feel uncomfortable about, and see which one conquers the other
        I totally agree with you...you have to look at it from the point of what you like and feel comfortable with. I have lived in many places and frankly don't get around to going anywhere other than the local areas I need to go to.

People in the DC/Baltimore area are famous for never venturing out past DC to visit Baltimore or the people in Baltimore that have never visited DC... mind you they are only like 45 minutes from each other. Let alone to VA down the street.

I lived in Florida before, few miles from the Ocean and I can't remember going to the beach more than a few times.

So, it all depends on your interest and what you are after. You can be on the mainland close to many other states by driving and yet don't get out of your local area and just as happy and not feel Claustrophobic.

I lived in Guam for several years and loved it there... Island smaller than Oahu...I was just happy with the low crime and slow pace of life on the Island.. and the culture and people... I have no need to drive too far.... been there, done that.

So, it all boils down to what your interest are.
        Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
        Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X