Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Shops in Hawaii

Hi Folks,

I am hoping to visit Hawaii in 2012, as long as I still have a job and the ecomomic situation at the moment does not mess up my plans...

I have really enjoyed collecting Hawaiian Soul/AOR style music from the 70s and 80s for the last few years. Artist such as Macky Feary Band, Lemuria, Kalapana, Society Of Seven to name a few. So apart from seeing the beautiful scenery of the islands itself upon arrival I'd like to know if there are still record shops around on the island to hopefully buy second-hand vinyl records from, or possibly market stalls in certain towns where people sells second-hand things such as vinyl on certain days of the month perhaps!

Any information or help would be much appreciated, as there are a few titles I've searched for over the last year that I have not had any luck in finding so far.
    Albums such as Hal Bradbury's LP 'This Is Love' from the early 80s is the kind of music I'd really like to play on the monthly two-hour radio show I do...

Thank you for your patience.

Malama pono

Mark
    Last edited by Good Vibes; January 27, 2011, 01:56 AM.

Re: Music Shops in Hawaii

Jellys in Aiea behind Cutter Ford. Great place.
    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Good Vibes View Post
      I am hoping to visit Hawaii in 2012,
      I take it you are asking about music shops on the island of Oahu as opposed to on the islands of Hawaii (or Big Island), Mauii or Kauai?

What about Hawaiian music on other media like 45 rpm, cassette or CD's?

Comment

Thanks Moto and Helen for getting back to me, much appreciated...
        I would need to know any info on record shops and markets that sell vinyl all over Hawaii, as of yet I have no fixed travel agenda on places to visit...

I have a short list of albums I am looking for at the moment (though it will surely grow in the future as my knowledge expands) that have eluded me for the last year or more of searching.

HAL BRADBURY (lead singer with the FABOULOUS KRUSH) SOLO ALBUM CALLED 'THIS IS LOVE'. FAN RECORDS FROM 1980 OR 1981 I think.
        This album has a track on it called "Win Or Lose" that is stuck in my head and I need to find this record to put my mind at ease (found it on Youtube)...LOL!

BABADU : BABADU. HANAIIA RECORDS 1980s

MIKE LUNDY : THE RHYTHM OF LIFE. SECOR RECORDS 1980

If anyone might have any of these three records (especially the Hal Bradbury album) gathering dust in their house, or maybe even know of a friend who might have a copy, you could make an old vinyl head really happy if you wished to sell (or even a least to make a CDR copy would be ok, though I prefer vinyl).

Is there anybody on this forum that might know any of these artist by any chance, as it would be really cool to get in touch with them and learn more about their history, and what they are doing these days for example?

Thanks

Mark
        Last edited by Good Vibes; January 28, 2011, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Rainbow Books and Records near the UH on University near the old Varsity theater location. They have plenty of used CDs and old vinyl.

Shirokiya has a selection of used CDs.

Someone already mentioned Jellys' Aiea. They also have a location in Kaka'ako near Fisher Hawaii. Plenty of CDs, vinyl, cassettes, some 8 tracks and even reel to reel.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
          X