Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any opinions on Capitol Plaza Condo in Downtown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any opinions on Capitol Plaza Condo in Downtown?

I am considering renting an apartment in this building. Does anyone have any opinions on the building or the location?

The apartment overlooks a firehouse which has me a little worried but it's on a very high floor so it may me OK.

I don't love the area especially at night but it is a good deal so I am considering it. I am also concerned that traffic will be a problem during rush hour. You have to approach the building on Queen Ema St. Anything I might have missed?

Re: Any opinions on Capitol Plaza Condo in Downtown?

It's centrally located. Near to Safeway/Longs. Lots of restaurants. If you got da kala to live dea ~ go foa it.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Yea it's close to safeway/longs, that's the spot. We got some kala but not for long living in hawaii , but hey you only live once right.

Comment

From what I hear, high floors get more noise from down below. Maybe it just seems louder since there's nothing else to mask it.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          From what I hear, high floors get more noise from down below. Maybe it just seems louder since there's nothing else to mask it.
          The type of windows and glass used will affect the degree of noise. So will the proximity of other high rise buildings. Waikiki is a good example. Regardless, nuthin' masks sirens!

Comment

If you're going to bus it... You can get anywhere from there.
            If you have a car... I hope a parking stall is provided.
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

is this the place with the dog-friendly park on premises, and with the pfleuger car dealership on the ground floor? or is this the one that is right next to hawaii telcom?

in any case, menehune man is right. if you're busing it, it's a great place to live. i'd add that if you work downtown, there aren't many properties to beat it in terms of convenience. i have no idea how much you'd be paying for rent and which side of the building you'd be, but those would be factors i'd consider, along with whether you'd like friends to come over much (because they aint gonna be able to get nearby parking unless they don't mind minding a meter).

having the fire station right next door would soothe my mind, not trouble it. i used to live half a block away from a different fire station and every time they went out on a call, loudly blaring their sirens, i praised the lord that i were so close to it that they'd be right there in moments if ever i needed them.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

If you plan on living downtown, you have to accept that there will be some inconveniences - including noise from the fire station. Those are just the city noises that are normal to the area.

I happen to work @ Bishop & Hotel streets so living at Capitol Plaza would be very desirable for me. plus, I would LOVE to live downtown in the middle of the action.

As for not being desirable for night time - think about how often you need to go out walking at night. Or maybe you could get active with the Neighborhood Board or others who are trying to clean up the downtown area.

If you can afford the $2000+ rents in that building, more power to you. If I had the means, I would move there in a "new york minute"
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. You always provide wonderful points of view. I especially like the positive spin cynsaligia puts on it, peace of mind, hadn't thought of it that way I love the positive spirit of many here.

apapuni808 perfect way to put it, I am formally from New York so "In a new your minute" is perfect Also one of my favorite Don Henley songs.

Menehuni Man, two parking spaces are provided so no worries there even for a guest and my wife, who doesn't drive, will enjoy the freedom of the bus. That's a significant part of why I have selected this location.

tuetuesue, the glass seems good but we are open window and AC off types so not much help there. But it is nice to know if you are annoyed by the noise you can shut the windows and get some peace.

GeckoGeek, good point, high floors do tend to enjoy the noise from the entire city instead of the street in front I am hoping there is a break off point when you get high enough. I lived on 32nd floor across the river from Manhattan and heard the party boats on the river every weekend. Not a pleasant experience. Living on the 4th floor in the heart of Manhattan was much better. Something to think about.

Anyway I think I am going to go for it. If anyone reads this thread in the future and is curious about the results feel free to pm me. Maybe I will remember to post some results after we move in.

Mahalo !!!

Comment

Ahhhh..so no forget to invite us to the housewarming party!

Juss joking.

Good luck!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

that area has changed so much in the past few years. I remember when the bus stop there was full of people sitting around in that parking lot that used to be there. Loved the big tree (was there one there?) and the casualness of the area. Now it's rather flashy and 100 degrees different with those two highrise condos.

I think the only area I ever felt iffy walking at night was that little patch of park across the street on Beretania/Pali while walking from Safeway back to our office downtown when I went at night.
                      n'importe

Comment

If you mean the park where the firehouse is located I figure the fire department makes it a little safer. See found another good part of having a firedepartment so close.

House warming sounds like a good idea. Get lots of gifts that way right
                        Last edited by desperado; January 10, 2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by desperado View Post
                          House warming sounds like a good idea. Get lots of gifts that way right
                          Yes, I will bring traditional Polynesian house warming gift.........kava root.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I miss Hawaii...but this French country life may not be so bad, after all.

Not one traffic light, stars at night, and the kids can walk around at midnight in their pyjamas and feel safe, even here in the center of town. The noises at night are people passing....kids out having fun, lovers looking for privacy in the little park next door, the neighbors throwing furniture and dishes at each other in marital spats, dogs chasing cats, cats chasing rats.

We do, however, have a siren that goes off periodically. It's there to call the volunteer fire and rescue...a few minutes after it sounds, you can see and hear (and dodge) cars and scooters racing to the station to get into their gear and go out and save someone...or save a cat stuck in a tree or on a roof.

That siren always makes me thing of the story, "The Lottery".
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

about Capital place.

i was just there last night... I personally dont like the place because its too "busy" theres always people going in and out. people walking their dogs smoking out side in the smoking areas.

Also maintenance fees I herd just went up because they didn't budget properly. I think maintenance fees is at 500 a month now not including your mortgage/rent.

I was haning out on the 21st floor, on the pool side, and when that fire trunk leave, it wails hard core.

Over all nice building, but i feel that theres too much "traffic". Also u gotta think about the people that live there, lots of HPU college students and my friend manages property there and he tells me that lots of Hawaiian telcom contractors rent there.

Btw I work at the building accross the street "the pinnacle", the one RIGHT next door to Hawaiian telcom and that building is 10x much better. its more intimate. No one is in the evelvator with you 80percent of the time. The elevators open to you UNIT vs your floor then walking to your unit. it might not have alot of units, but its feels soo much better and more "home feeling" vs the "condo" feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X