New Looks: KGMB & KHON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Looks: KGMB & KHON

When did KGMB switch to its new branding? It might have been a while ago, but I only tuned in by accident tonight. The whole "silver and blue" theme with the absurdly '80s-style typestyle and bold, somewhat obnoxious ribbons.

It's too dark, and a little harsh. Like the nightly news from inside the Death Star.

Sister Emmis station KHON changed its graphics and sound package not too long ago. Red and blue, narrow sans-serifs... I know that their music, opening animation, and ribbons are common to dozens of Emmis stations across the country. So I imagine the new KGMB look is also an "out of the box" job.

A real pity. No personality. KGMB's lethargic "one of the good things" intros might have been thorougly out of place, but it was distinctive. And there was just something fittingly pompous about KHON's old fanfare/anthem (two redesigns back, before the 3-D conch shell and slack key guitar). Dan-dan-da-daaa, Dan-dadadan-da-daaa! I can still hear it in my head, years later.

Re: New Looks: KGMB & KHON

From Ilind.net

This comment/question came in several days ago from a reader:

What's the news on KGMB going back to the old-style logo and emphasis on news. Are they working from the old Bob Sevey playbook when KGMB was THE station to watch for news? Are they making a play for the inheritor of the Sevey flame KHON? I figured that with Emmis, they would keep KHON as number one and make marginal KGMB. Not the case? What's the scoop?

And they could still use the "One of the good things about Hawaii" music, perhaps in a human-feature series (a la "Emme's Island Moments").

Comment

Very interesting change for KGMB... but I wish they'd keep the "One of the Good Things..." Jingle for the beginning of the newscast.

By the way, are they ever going to get a daily (weekday) "man" anchor??? Ever since Jim Mendoza stepped out of the scene as anchor, is there an open position???

Comment

Rumor on the street is that they're trying to woo former KGMBer and current ESPN anchor Neil Everett back to town......Stay tuned........

Comment

I still wish KHON would work on their friggin lousy audio. It's loud then soft then loud then louder!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I can't believe you all noticed the studio and graphics changes at KGMB.... but didn't notice that KGMB axed their signature sailboat next to the "9" !!!!! Now that was a piece of history that sailboat logo! It no longer makes KGMB unique and "local", it just makes them look like everyone else. Rumor from folks working behind the scenes is that everyone including talent are complaining about the new graphics. You know, the stuff you see on their lettering & fonts. They say its too boxy or 80-ish and if you look close there are the same tones of red white and blue as KHON has! Not only that if you look closely and flip over to FoxNews you'll see the same banner type things on the screen on KGMB.
            First their mainland manager said no Aloha shirts and suggested darker colors, now they're all wearing darker colors and they are disappearing in their dark news set! Is their manager putting KGMB in "news purgatory" or what?
            Say what you mean and mean what you say....

Comment

KGMB's new "9" logo and their graphics package looks horrible. Didn't they have this same logo right before Bob Sevey retired? At that time, I think KGMB used to be called "Newsroom 9". KGMB/Emmis probably hired the same Baltimore firm that designed the controversial "spectrum" & "wave" logos for UH last year.

I really liked the signature sailboat logo. It was rather unique!
              Last edited by lancer808; September 17, 2004, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Finally, somebody tries to get it right......Look for a new and hopefully more "local" look from KITV this week as Merrie Monarch begins.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                  Look for a new and hopefully more "local" look....

I miss the old days, (70's, maybe) where most if no all newscasters wore aloha wear. programming and the pace was a little slower, and much less flash. In other words, damn the mainland corporations for buying up our local media. and altering it to an almost unrecognizable degree.

Comment

I have never understood (mainland ownership or not) why Aloha attire wasn't suitable for the news anchors. If it's good enough for every office in town except the judiciary...
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Yeah, and CEOs of big companies...

Comment

I don't get it... even if Emmis corporate is suggesting changes, Rick Blangiardi has been in Hawaii (off and on) for decades and should know what local audiences want. Granted, the new KGMB logo is actually the OLD KGMB logo, so it plays a little bit to nostalgia -- but in the end, the KGMB sailboat logo was more unique to Hawaii and stood the station apart from everyone else.

And I still snicker at the "Hawaii's Severe Weather Station." It's gotta be an April Fool's joke! I mean, seriously! On the KGMB web site, right underneath that silly slogan, is the 5-day weather forecast: Today, 80. Friday, 78. Saturday, 78. Etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X