Paula Akana/Catherine Cruz question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paula Akana/Catherine Cruz question

When did she Paula start working for KITV by chance, swore I saw her on an old news bumper from 1984 and I did not know she was working with them that far back.

I swear I also saw Catherine Cruz from that era as well.

KalihiBoy

Re: Paula Akana/Catherine Cruz question

According to the KITV wesite TheHawaiiChannel.com: Paula Akana has been a fixture on Hawaii television news for nearly two decades. She has gone on the road to report on everything from crime to natural disasters to moments of joy.

She started her career in 1983 as an intern and then reporter with KITV, going full-time after graduating from the University of Hawaii in 1984.

Of course it should say "for over two decades," but I don't think they've updated the website since 2002.

If that's true then Catherine's bio makes sense when it says; "During the last 17 years with the station she has worked as a beat reporter covering city hall, business, consumer, and health issues." That would put her there during that time frame.

Comment

My favorite, but poignant Catherine Cruz story was her reporting of the death of Advertiser photographer Carl Viti. It was a Sunday, I believe. He was hit while riding his bike in Mililani. As I recall, the driver took off after a quick assessment. It was just the most heartbreaking event among the local journalism community and for his family. I believe justice was not served.

Anyway, I like that Hawaii's TV stations respect the knowledge and talent of senior women reporters such as these.
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I believe both of them attended Kamehameha too.

Comment

Paula graduated from Kamehameha. Catherine was born & raised on Guam.

Comment

The footage I see of Catherine looks to be about 1982 with Tim Tindall.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
            X