Two new TV Stations in Honolulu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two new TV Stations in Honolulu?

Borrowed my friends portable TV, to watch those other games, while we're tailgating at the UH game tomorrow. I put in some new batteries and decided to test the TV out to see what I can catch, here in Kailua.

Found something of interest. Two new UHF Station's, (that have had CP status with the FCC, for awhile now) are finally transmitting. KKAI-TV 50 Kailua & KMGT-TV 56 Waimanalo. Both stations are airing the same trouble slate, with their seperate call letters at the bottom.

I'm assuming the license holder is doing this so that he doesn't lose his license for not having the stations, on-air, by a certain date. If I am not mistaken, the owner of these two stations is the same owner of that wonderful station KALO-TV 38, that brings us such great and informative programming .

I don't expect any type of programming coming to these channels unless someone buys the licenses. Please, no more religious channels.

Aloha,
    DXer

Re: Two new TV Stations in Honolulu?

Some brief snippets on these three stations.

KKAI - Wikipedia - FCC
    KMGT - Wikipedia - FCC
    KALO - Wikipedia - FCC

Comment

Originally posted by DXer View Post
      Found something of interest. Two new UHF Station's, (that have had CP status with the FCC, for awhile now) are finally transmitting. KKAI-TV 50 Kailua & KMGT-TV 56 Waimanalo. Both stations are airing the same trouble slate, with their seperate call letters at the bottom.

DXer
      These numbers that you are mentioning.... are they the channel number that you actually dialed to? Just curious... This sounds like something from "LOST".... trying to catch frequencies...etc.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
        These numbers that you are mentioning.... are they the channel number that you actually dialed to? Just curious... This sounds like something from "LOST".... trying to catch frequencies...etc.
        Yes. UHF starts at channel 14 and goes up to 83. This is different then the cable channels of the same numbers. (That's why many TV and VCR have the cable/tv switch, so they know when you enter channel "20" to go to UHF channel 20 or cable channel 20.)

Comment

NEVER use Wikipedia as a source of information -- for ANYTHING.

Such citations might wind up completely discrediting you. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that anybody can post whatever they want on that site, so EVERYTHING found there must be considered suspect.

For issues such as these, go directly to the FCC Website instead; click on search and use one of the queries; AM, FM or TV. Or, do a call sign search, or ... well, you get the idea.

KMGT has already changed its calls, by the way.
          Last edited by Erika Engle; December 3, 2006, 09:02 AM. Reason: added a word
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

In order to catch these new stations you probably have to be closeby to their transmitter sources (especially if they are low power) and have at least the old fashioned UHF loop antenna or some kind of antenna capable of receiving UHF channels 18 to 83. I understand that Channels 69 to 83 are no longer used for TV. Some were assigned to analog cell phone services.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here's a pretty easily searched source for licensed transmitters:

http://www.fccinfo.com/cmdpro.php?sz=L&wd=1440

Note that it's a ".com" and not ".gov" URL. It's a commercial entity and not a governmental one.

Would be nice if the FCC were to have an easily found and usable feature like this.

Comment

Classic anime and samurai flicks 24/7 would be too much to ask, I suppose?

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                  NEVER use Wikipedia as a source of information -- for ANYTHING.

Such citations might wind up completely discrediting you. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just that anybody can post whatever they want on that site, so EVERYTHING found there must be considered suspect.

For issues such as these, go directly to the FCC Website instead; click on search and use one of the queries; AM, FM or TV. Or, do a call sign search, or ... well, you get the idea.

KMGT has already changed its calls, by the way.
                  Point taken. I wouldn't use Wikipedia as a definitive source... but for topics about which I know nothing, it's a convenient place to start. At a minimum, it'll give me hints on the right search terms to use when doing further research.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                    Point taken. I wouldn't use Wikipedia as a definitive source... but for topics about which I know nothing, it's a convenient place to start. At a minimum, it'll give me hints on the right search terms to use when doing further research.
                    Yeah, that's the way I feel about Wikipedia. I feel like I can trust the external links you sometimes find at the bottom of entries to at least lead me in the right direction.

Wikipedia is fairly trustworthy (I think) for people's biographical data.
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I suppose the level of upkeep on wikipedia is fairly inconsistent on the whole. I find that for certain popular subjects, particularly entertainment, there are a large number of passionate, concerned editors who keep a strict watch on articles, and refuse to let an edit stick unless there is documented proof of the information. In most places that I've seen on wikipedia, information was pretty reliable -- although there were vandalizers, and editors who edited without knowing anything, those edits were usually fixed within hours.

Comment

If you goto www.fcc.gov and type in "TV Query" in the search, you get a searchable database that will allow you to pull all the data/status on every Hawaii station, including; CP (Construction Permit), LIC(License), AP(Application), etc. Did a little bit of investigating on-line yesterday.

KMGT-TV56 has already changed their call letters to KUPU-TV56 and according to the FCC, it shows the ownership as a church.

KKAI-TV50, according to the FCC records, doesn't show a church has it's owner. However if you goto the website www.kkai.tv, there is a webpage for this phantom TV Station in Kailua, that according to the website, plays religious programming. Now that's something straight out of "Lost".

Just what Honolulu needs, two more religious stations.

Aloha,
                        DXer

Comment

Originally posted by DXer View Post
                          If you goto www.fcc.gov and type in "TV Query" in the search, you get a searchable database that will allow you to pull all the data/status on every Hawaii station, including; CP (Construction Permit), LIC(License), AP(Application), etc. Did a little bit of investigating on-line yesterday.
                          Errr, yes. Those were the "FCC" links that I listed in my post, right after the "Wikipedia" ones that Erika commented on.

Comment

I see students in my wife's classes always using Wikipedia as their source for information it has replaced the old Encyclopedia Brittania in some ways.

It is true anyone can write what they want in Wikipedia, I know I have wrote some things for them before and I don't claim to be an authoritist on anything. Same thing goes for www.imdb.com that is another place where there can be misinformation on career resumes despite the fact that it is looked at more closely by the editors.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                            X