Who's our CNN affiliate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's our CNN affiliate?

I just noticed that KHON started using FOX as their national news provider. If I remembered correctly, KHNL, KITV, and KGMB had footage broadcasted on CNN (most recently, KITV for the earthquake coverage). Is there an official CNN affiliate here, or is the duty carried by the other three stations? (or maybe all four?)

(and if someone already asked this question, I couldn't search because of the 3 character search limit)
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Who's our CNN affiliate?

I'm pretty sure KITV has the strongest link with CNN. But on their "U.S./West" page, it lists all the local stations as "CNN West Affiliates": KFVE, KHNL, KGMB, KHON, and KITV.

Of course, thanks to syndication groups like the Associated Press, you could conceivably see coverage from just about anyone on any other network.

Comment

Generally speaking, only networks with a range of programming (dramas, comedies, soap operas, sporting events, etc.) have a single station affiliate in most markets. Generally speaking, CNN is just news. Period. Therefore, all stations have access to it, since tying it to one local affiliate would make no sense locally, as they already have their programming on the air 24 hours a day here (via Oceanic Cable, etc.)

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

To be more direct...

CNN is owned By Time Warner.

Oceanic is Time Warners affiliate here in Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
          To be more direct...
          CNN is owned By Time Warner.
          Oceanic is Time Warners affiliate here in Hawaii.
          Well, Oceanic Cable is OWNED by Time Warner, but by affiliate, the OP likely meant "what local newscast outlet has an agreement to (a) be the primary source for providing Hawai`i stories to the national network, and/or (b) rebroadcast CNN stories within their own news programming?"

Comment

I did see the newscast of KITV on CNN the other week. CNN did refer to KITV as their local Hawaii affiliate. Now this could have been something not accurate that the CNN anchor said, but not likely. If you were watching earlier, before they received the video source, CNN had a local reporter on air via phone from KITV.

KHON is the local Fox affliliate. So to have them affiliated with Fox News just makes sense. CNN can also go out of their affiliations to receive news stories, at a price of course, which explains the other two stations getting air time on CNN.

Oceanic may be a Time Warner company, but it's a cable service provider and has nothing to do with the local television stations. Being a CNN affiliate doesn't necessarily mean they air CNN programming. It sometimes also means they are CNN's source for news in the area. That's how these news networks are always on the scene of breaking news within minutes no matter where it is.
            Dreaming of the sun from Canada

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGuy View Post
              CNN did refer to KITV as their local Hawaii affiliate. Now this could have been something not accurate that the CNN anchor said, but not likely.
              This is just pure speculation on your part. All five local networks (KHON, KITV, KFVE, KGMB and KHNL) have full, unfettered access to CNN. You wouldn’t be able to put “the Channel 2 News World Report,” for example, together without it. This “local affiliate” stuff is a myth.
              Being a CNN affiliate doesn't necessarily mean they air CNN programming.
              Another interesting, but ultimately baseless theory. Since all five local networks do air CNN programming, there is no way to test it.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Well, several regional affiliates of different networks may use CNN content... and they also probably have access to content through other networks like Reuters. But that's national-to-local sharing.

Local stations share content with each other, too, such as with sporting events. One station may have the preferred or exclusive arrangement with UH, but then allow competitors to use (watermarked) excerpts... likely after some delay.

But I still suspect that KITV is CNN's "preferred provider" for material originating in Hawaii. In other words, if aliens landed in Diamond Head crater, Fox News probably would call KHON first, and CNN would call KITV. And I'm fairly certain this is an arrangement formalized somewhere.

Comment

For radio it's always been KHNR, but they take news bits from independents. You file your SSAN with them under an affiliated station (such as KHNR) and viola you're a CNN news correspondent.

For TV I presume it's similar.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

There was a time, I think before KHON flipped to being a FOX affiliate, that they were the "official" CNN affiliate in Hawaii.

Must have been at least 10 years ago, however.

Comment

Working...
                    X