Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News; when it breaks, we fix it.

What does "late breaking news" mean?
    how does it differ from early breaking news?
    Why do they tell us they report:
    "late-breaking news... when it happens"?

after all; "breaking new" MEANS you are reporting it when it happens.

Re: News; when it breaks, we fix it.

Small kine insider secret.....most "late breaking" stories you hear about simply means someone has been listening to the police scanner during the newscast, has confirmed its validity, and we're trying to make you believe we're the first to report it before the other guys.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
      Small kine insider secret.....most "late breaking" stories you hear about simply means someone has been listening to the police scanner during the newscast, has confirmed its validity, and we're trying to make you believe we're the first to report it before the other guys.

the news in the past decade or so has gotten just too flashy, personality driven, and full of themselves... and standards have slowly been reduced to tabloid level, with journalists, news "anchors" and reporters, etc... using terrible english and on screen graphics/wording to supplement stories now and then are misspelled. all this helps to reduce greatly, the credibility of news stations in many people's mind. so... most don't really care and don't believe what image the stations in their own mind, are trying to project.
      I don't care, personally if i hear right now, or three hours later; of some subhuman cretin who raced on H1 at midnight and lost their lives. What I AM interested in hearing is full disclosure. Not a superficial overview of a story.
      One station's service mark is "get da Hole Story".

Well, I see many news stories on that channel, and even I know more details about many things they are reporting on. and see many ways they coulda made particular stories more complete. Too often I am left hanging during a story with 'but whaddabout this, and whaddabout dat!?"
      easy, obvious queries they should have covered.
      Nope. They don't dig. They know this is the age of diminishing expectations and form over function, flash and filler over fulfillment. And they deliver accordingly.
      ....and that's the rest of the whole story...
      Corporate slogans have replaced actual integrity, results and action.
      Last edited by kimo55; August 16, 2004, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Some do dig....but when a young twenty-something producer forces them to tell their story in 1:30, then, well, obviously things get cut out. To their credit, KITV gets the whole story.....but only if you go to their website at thehawaiichannel.com!!!!!

Comment

Personally I'm waiting to hear about a revolt from the reporters when one of those twenty-something producers (do they go to J-school or film school?) says "go stand on an overpass at 10:00pm to report on the "Beat the School Jam."

Accidents are one thing, but having reporters at the airport or on the freeway for no apparent reason just looks silly.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Accidents are one thing, but having reporters at the airport or on the freeway for no apparent reason just looks silly.
            I've mentioned this before, but the whole "LIVE!" thing is positively idiotic when the "on location" location is the "newsroom" -- i.e. the next room over from the studio, or even the opposite corner of the same set. Just the other night KHNL did a story on the passing of Hiram Fong, and it was bizzare to hear the anchors announce the death, followed immediately by the swooshing "LIVE!" graphic... and then a reporter with a mic standing in front of a bank of KHNL back office desks.

To their credit, KITV gets the whole story...
            Ah, yes, another peculiar practice. A story gets a "full" 90 second segment, and then, "We give you the whole story!" Which means, after the 90 second segment ends, they pass you into another 90 second segment. It's like they're going out of their way to emphasize just how little time they give all stories by pointing out that they're giving one story an extra "block." Why not give us "the whole story" in one !*%$# segment?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              I've mentioned this before, but the whole "LIVE!" thing is positively idiotic when the "on location" location is the "newsroom" -- i.e. the next room over from the studio, or even the opposite corner of the same set. Just the other night KHNL did a story on the passing of Hiram Fong, and it was bizzare to hear the anchors announce the death, followed immediately by the swooshing "LIVE!" graphic... and then a reporter with a mic standing in front of a bank of KHNL back office desks.
              The one that I always like to laugh at is KGMB News doing a live breaking story, be it a huge rainstorm or a traffic backup, and their live feed is coming from Kapiolani Blvd. right in front of the KGMB TV studio building! Real convenient for them this upcoming election season as both Neil Abercrombie and Duke Bainum's campaign headquarters are like right across the street from KGMB. They could practically hard wire those buildings back to the studio!

Oh and I have seen KITV do the same thing with severe rainy weather. There is Kathy Muneno doing her live weathercast right on King Street just outside the KITV studio. I guess they want the effect of the rain falling down.

Ah, yes, another peculiar practice. A story gets a "full" 90 second segment, and then, "We give you the whole story!" Which means, after the 90 second segment ends, they pass you into another 90 second segment.
              And to top that some stations give you part of the story at 6 and then tell you to tune back at 10 to get "the rest of the story". Geez, I often like to get all of my news right now not wait for part 2 at 10!
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Who cares for all these graphics on the screen! I don't!
                Just tell us the news "right away"!

Comment

Most producers I've seen have gone to J-school.

The mainland consultants have been telling newsrooms for years to go "live" because it brings a "greater sense of immediacy".....which judging from the opinions of the shrewd viewers on this board, is NOT the case.

Speaking of consultants, KITV is looking for someone to replace their recently departed promo/image/marketing guru who worked for years as a consultant on the mainland and over the last four years or so managed to take KITV's ratings down to the bottom. Yes, ABC's programming isn't all that, but if memory serves correct, i've seen a lot of folks on this or mel's site say they liked KITV's news, myself included. This person leaves a lasting impression, being the creator of the "Get The Whole Story" brand and killing off "Island Television". I'll bet almost all of you can sing the Island TV jingle, which was sung by Willie K. and as rumor has it, was never compensated for it.

Similar to the mainland folks who in the mid-90s decided to kill KGMB's one of the good things" which was subsequently updated a few years later and now looks to be dead again. Yes, things must evolve, but if it ain't broke......let's go in and a make it even worse!!!! I want my Weather Tracker!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                    Most producers I've seen have gone to J-school.

The mainland consultants have been telling newsrooms for years to go "live" because it brings a "greater sense of immediacy".....which judging from the opinions of the shrewd viewers on this board, is NOT the case.
                    they are not interested in fooling the ones that can not be fooled, just the masses.

Speaking of consultants, KITV is looking for someone to replace their recently departed promo/image/marketing guru who worked for years as a consultant on the mainland and over the last four years or so managed to take KITV's ratings down to the bottom. Yes, ABC's programming isn't all that, but if memory serves correct, i've seen a lot of folks on this or mel's site say they liked KITV's news, myself included. This person leaves a lasting impression, being the creator of the "Get The Whole Story" brand and killing off "Island Television".

good riddance to that mainlander. island television sounds better. More, wellll, island style. Has a better ring to it.

I'll bet almost all of you can sing the Island TV jingle, which was sung by Willie K. and as rumor has it, was never compensated for it.
                    Booo! oh well, 'least he got exposure...
                    Similar to the mainland folks who in the mid-90s decided to kill KGMB's one of the good things" which was subsequently updated a few years later and now looks to be dead again.

bring it back i say. and keep out those mainland consultants!

Comment

who cares about the news! I just watch it for the news babes and Guy Hagi, he rocks.

I can't wait until they do a report on Hawaii's beaches dressed appropriately...um the women of hawaii news, Guy can leave his shirt on

So what reporters do the female viewers like watching?
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        who cares about the news! I just watch it for the news babes and Guy Hagi, he rocks.

I can't wait until they do a report on Hawaii's beaches dressed appropriately...um the women of hawaii news, Guy can leave his shirt on
                        ????????????????

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

you watch for Guy Hagi's rocks?!

Comment

yeah... thanks for the scoop on that one Kimo
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Some of the points people brought up is the reason why I don't watch the news for news.

Some stations (especially News 8) use a lot of graphics when going from one news piece to another. And for those stations that has the news tickers (I believe KITV's morning show has one, as with KHON2's morning news), either you put more than 10 headlines on it, or don't show it at all. If you want me to read the news, then I'd go on the web and look for it.
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                              X