Reporters and HPD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporters and HPD

We were having drinks with some news friends last night at Chai's and the subject came up about reporters and their relationship with the Honolulu Police Dept.

It seems things could be better. So how could Hawaii reporters improve relations with HPD?

Why is there a hate-hate relationship here, while other departments on the mainland seem to work very well with the police, some even having a spokesman on call 24/7 who can do interviews all the time?

Re: Reporters and HPD

heheheh. I trying to be serious but I keep laughing.

K-den. I try. HPD is overworked, understaffed and get plenty odda things going on. Still, I personally believe we have the Best Police force in the Nation. Our hopes are in the New breed of Police Officers that have been joining over the last few years and the new ones coming in.

As long as certain ones remain in Power (cough, cough) problems such as Media access will continue. Nobody likes the Truth to be known.

In other Public Related News - there is usually a HPD Spokesperson who gives the details of the incidents and whatever else is allowable. During an ongoing investigation it is really hard to be focused when outsiders come to ask questions. Hence, one spokesperson.

The Love - Hate Relationship is not really true. Is it? I see reports with information that are very informative. What more the reporters like? On camera coverage of the Crimes in question?

I no think so.

Nah, just get a couple of Officers and treat um to Karaoke. Make them your Official Contacts.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The Love - Hate Relationship is not really true. Is it? I see reports with information that are very informative. What more the reporters like? On camera coverage of the Crimes in question?
      But I truly wonder what were not seeing
      Some articles are informative... but I hate the phrase so often used by people being questioned "Their is a pending investigation and at this time I'm not allowed to talk about it...etc.."

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        But I truly wonder what were not seeing
        Some articles are informative... but I hate the phrase so often used by people being questioned "Their is a pending investigation and at this time I'm not allowed to talk about it...etc.."
        Duh!! Pending investigation means they are still in the process of "getting evidence and whatever else is needed for said case!" Many times Suspects are still at large...hence, the decision in refraining to release information is of great importance. It is thought out. Not doing so could cause a suspect to escape and not be caught...making the investigation process a longer one.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

My husband friend said it's great having Capt Fujii which is something that really helps the reporters.

Comment

Or you can look at it the other way around. If Capt. Fujii wasn’t there, the media would be f*cked! Essentially I am told the cause of all this strife was the “new rule” that officers cannot conduct interviews with the media unless they hold the rank of Captain or above. I have a feeling Aunty Lynn knows who’s responsible for this rule.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Auntie Lynn who is it? Confess...

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart
                Auntie Lynn who is it? Confess...
                "There is a pending investigation and at this time I'm not allowed to talk about it...etc.."

Betta yet.

I plead the 5th.

Auntie pUpule aka Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; August 16, 2006, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Frank Fujii and I are good friends. The reason why he works well with the media is because he used to do a community police show on KGU back in the 80's when I produced it. Some of today's news reporters also know Frank personally because we all worked with him during that time and most of us know each other as well.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I personally think Capt. Fujii is a great PIO
                    Direct, well spoken, and camera freindly...JMHO

Comment

No one better talk stink about Captain Fujii

My hubby's drinking friend said the Captain was at the Xerox shootings helping the victims families.

He is a man of compassion and honor.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart
                        No one better talk stink about Captain Fujii

My hubby's drinking friend said the Captain was at the Xerox shootings helping the victims families.

He is a man of compassion and honor.
                        Yes, I agree with you. I also had many friends who were there too. One in particular came to my business because he was shaken up so bad. He needed to take a break and become focus again.

I didn't understand what he ment until everything was unfolded in the news.

Our HPD Police Officers are on Duty 24/7. Unfortunately, like everything in life, there's the good and the bad. Lucky for us the good outweigh the bad.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Yes, I agree with you. I also had many friends who were there too. One in particular came to my business because he was shaken up so bad. He needed to take a break and become focus again.

I didn't understand what he ment until everything was unfolded in the news.

Our HPD Police Officers are on Duty 24/7. Unfortunately, like everything in life, there's the good and the bad. Lucky for us the good outweigh the bad.

Auntie Lynn
                          Well said Auntie

Hats off to HPD!

Comment

Working...
                          X