Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oceanic Time Warner

Originally posted by timkona
    I don't even know if the cable has a lot of music channels. But Dish has at least 50 or more. Makes chores easier when the music is good.
    Oceanic's Digital Cable has 44 music choice channels.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
      Oceanic's Digital Cable has 44 music choice channels.
      DISH Network carries the entire lineup of over 60 Sirius music channels. Which IMHO are subtantially better than Music Choice.

Comment

did I put my foot in my mouth again? *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart
          did I put my foot in my mouth again? *sigh*
          Not as far as I'm concerned! You rightfully stated your opinion. A couple of others disagreed with part of it...one even 'respectfully'!

As I see it, your foot is still firmly on the floor...or in bed...wherever you are at this time of the morning!

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
            It will be interesting if Hawn TelCom gets their service going to see if it will make any difference in Oceanic's pricing.
            It would be nice for Oceanic to get more competition in the cable television space, but Hawaiian Telcom has a heap of other issues to straighten out before they can be a serious challenge.

Meanwhile, Time Warner overall is really pushing its digital phone service, going after Hawaiian Telcom's bread and butter. Given the frustration level folks have had with Hawaiian Telcom, I'm pretty sure more customers will be going over to Oceanic than the other way around.

We're Oceanic customers, but as little as possible. Basic cable (no digital), and internet access via HiTel. A lot of our neighbors have Dish Network, though, so I've always been curious...

Comment

Based upon the "customer service" frustrations and poor service I had with
              Road Runner, it would take a lot for me to go back. To me, yes Hawaiian
              Tel is having transition issues. But if you went through what I went through
              when I got Road Runner back in 2000, you be a bit more forgiving.

Take for example (and this happened just recently too), I was trying to get
              basic cable service for my parents new house. It was like a maze of frustration
              to deal with Oceanic's customer service.

As for Oceanic's digital phone, yes you get unlimited local and long distance
              for 39.95 a month (if you bundle it with other services). But I don't like the
              thought if the power cuts out, you lose your phone service.Bear in mind it is
              not a carrier grade service, that will work if the power cuts out.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

There are actually 2 WGN's. WGN9 is the WB(soon CW) affiliate for Chicagoland airing Cubs, White Sox and Bulls games. "Superstation" WGN is a syndex free re-run channel that offers no Bulls and select Cubs and White Sox games which is offered to cable and DBS services.

TBS is the same way. TBS is a cable network, WTBS formerly a superstation is now on in Atlanta only. Braves Telecast after next season will cease from TBS.

If Oceanic wanted, they could carry "Superstation" WGN and no worry about syndex issues, but really other than Cubs and White Sox games it's worthless.
                Last edited by Ninja; August 13, 2006, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja
                  There are actually 2 WGN's. WGN9 is the WB(soon CW) affiliate for Chicagoland airing Cubs, White Sox and Bulls games. "Superstation" WGN is a syndex free re-run channel that offers no Bulls and select Cubs and White Sox games which is offered to cable and DBS services.

TBS is the same way. TBS is a cable network, WTBS formerly a superstation is now on in Atlanta only. Braves Telecast after next season will cease from TBS.

If Oceanic wanted, they could carry "Superstation" WGN and no worry about syndex issues, but really other than Cubs and White Sox games it's worthless.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstation_WGN
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBS_%28TV_network%29

I thought this was interesting too,
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstation

I didn't know TBS was dropping the national feed for Braves games after
                  2007. According to Wikipedia, only the WTBS (the local Atlanta TBS
                  station) will show all Braves games.
                  Last edited by Konaguy; August 13, 2006, 06:45 PM.
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    Not as far as I'm concerned! You rightfully stated your opinion. A couple of others disagreed with part of it...one even 'respectfully'!

As I see it, your foot is still firmly on the floor...or in bed...wherever you are at this time of the morning!
                    Thank you!

Comment

With Hawaiian TelCom offering cable services, will Oceanic's prices be adjusted because of the competition?

BTW, Oceanic's rates are going higher every year, especially when you have digital cable. How long will they keep that up with adding more channels and advanced technology? Pretty soon we'll be paying over $50.00 just for Standard Service? And more than $70.00 for digital? When I look at other places on the mainland that offer Time Warner Cable, I noticed that their rates are much cheaper than Oceanic.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652
                        With Hawaiian TelCom offering cable services, will Oceanic's prices be adjusted because of the competition?

BTW, Oceanic's rates are going higher every year, especially when you have digital cable. How long will they keep that up with adding more channels and advanced technology? Pretty soon we'll be paying over $50.00 just for Standard Service? And more than $70.00 for digital? When I look at other places on the mainland that offer Time Warner Cable, I noticed that their rates are much cheaper than Oceanic.
                        I think a lot will depend on what HawTel's cable pricing is going to be. Which they have not disclosed yet. As for the rates being cheaper on the mainland,
                        I think a lot of that is due to increased competition there is on the mainland.
                        I hope the cable companies are forced to do ala carte channel offerings.
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

When I inquired about Dish Network a few years ago, I was told that I had to have my landlord's permission to mount the dish on the roof and also that he had to agree to have the whole building wired. Needless to say - I'm still with Oceanic.

I'd be very interested to know if this situation has changed. Since I'm on the top floor of my building, I would think it would be fairly simple to wire my unit for the Dish.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652
                            And more than $70.00 for digital?
                            Oh, good. Now I know that we're not paying for something extra if that's the regular price.
                            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
                            X