Oceanic Time Warner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oceanic Time Warner

I was watching Pacific Business News with Howard Dicus tonight.
    Nate Smith of Oceanic was on talking about new services etc.
    It was rather amazing OTW has 200,000 digital cable customers (400,000
    overall)and 200,000 Internet customers.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: Oceanic Time Warner

they basically have no competition except for the "dish" networks here & most of us either can't afford those or our landlords won't allow them. Those numbers don't surprise me at all. It will be interesting if Hawn TelCom gets their service going to see if it will make any difference in Oceanic's pricing.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The state of Hawaii has the highest cable penetration of any state in the nation with over 95% of households having cable.

Comment

Makes sense to me, most of us Hawaii folks love our tvs.

Sports is huge here too.

Not much to do on an island.

Comment

If you live in a condo, there is usually only 1 choice you can have for a TV provider. In my building that is only Oceanic/Time Warner, unless you want to go with the building's own antenna system which is subject to ghosting on several channels due to Honolulu's urban landscape (too many buildings in the way of over air TV signals).
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by foolish heart
            wow. sound like someone is too accustomed to driving for miles in a straight line and ending up at dizzyland.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

wow. sound like someone is too accustomed to driving for miles in a straight line and ending up at dizzyland.
              Or it could also sound like someone who doesn't occupy most of their spare time going bar hopping and listening to music loud enough to cause premature deafness. Only 24 hours in a day, right?

If the only choices for watching TV in Hawaii are either through a "ghosty" antenna setup or OTW's clear reception and extensive channel selections, then those numbers shouldn't be surprising at all.

Comment

DISH Network is great. Landlords cannot prevent you from putting a dish on a home or on the balcony of your condo, if it don't stick out.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

[...] Not much to do on an island.
                  Interesting observation! And, I respectfully disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                    DISH Network is great.
                    Hey, Tim? You ever listen to the music channels available on your Dish system? I program a bunch of 'em, including the Hawaiian one (ch. 981, I think.)

Comment

In regards to HawTel IPTV application to the DCCA-CATV division

http://www.hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/cat...waiian_telcom/

AT&T's IPTV problems
                      http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=101056
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Not much to do?

http://starbulletin.com/calendars/weekend.html

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/current/en/tgifcal

http://honoluluweekly.com/calendar/

Comment

Mel is right, you dont have much of a choice w/o cable when I first moved here I lived by Beretania Foodland, which is not far from all the stations (i.e. KITV/KGMB/KHON), let's say within a mile or so from them. Only station I could receive halfway decent was KHON, while the others were nearly complete snow.
                          If I wanted to watch ANY form of tv I simply had to pay for cable. Back then the basic cable was like 25 bucks or so, now I hear its close to 40 bucks right?

I dont know since I went digital a few years ago and got the entire package with the phone/internet/digital tv, I dont know what I pay for each, but its alot of money like 170 bucks!!! Part of its a tax write-off for me since I need the internet to work on.

On another note despite being 5 hours behind time zone wise, I'd sure love for Oceanic to pick up WGN out of Chicago, I was born and raised in Chicago and sure would love to see the Cubbies (well not this season!), local news and other programming from the superstation I grew up with as a kid.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                            On another note despite being 5 hours behind time zone wise, I'd sure love for Oceanic to pick up WGN out of Chicago, I was born and raised in Chicago and sure would love to see the Cubbies (well not this season!), local news and other programming from the super station I grew up with as a kid.
                            I remember reading Oceanic's FAQ a long time ago (long since removed).
                            Evidently these super stations cost a lot of money in access fees. Also
                            if lets say Wheel of Fortune gets shown on WGN, since I believe KHON
                            owns the rights to show it here, Oceanic would have to black out the
                            WGN televised Wheel of Fortune.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Leo, Yes, Totally !! In fact, by far more than the total minutes we spend looking at TV.

We like The Pulse, Classical Favorites, Roadhouse, Outlaw Country, Kid Tunes, Blues, and a couple others.....but we pretty much listen to ALL of them now and then.

I don't even know if the cable has a lot of music channels. But Dish has at least 50 or more. Makes chores easier when the music is good.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                              X