KHON Using New Automated System On Newscasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHON Using New Automated System On Newscasts

Just saw the 10pm news tonight as KHON rolled out their new Ignite system to control the newscast. To quote Joe Moore, "our ratings our gonna go up now!" and "we're working the kinks out....and we're gonna need a steamroller to work the kinks out!". During a rather shaky sportscast, Kanoa Leahey jokingly said, "all you can do is laugh" and happily sang while he waite for the next thing to come up while the video from the previous story remained frozen on the air. Their ending story was about a high-tech car, to which Joe quipped, "Be sure it's not called Ignite!"

I'm sure they'll smooth things out. Will be interesting to watch them for awhile though.
    Last edited by tvguy; June 19, 2006, 11:18 PM.

Re: KHON Using New Automated System On Newscasts

Automation is good for syndicated programming, but when you introduce it into a live local show where as a producer you have to literally read the non-verbal and subtle vocal tones of the presenter in order to have split second timing for segues, automation just cannot do it.

Even KSSK with the Prophet requires a manual F9 to get it back to automation once the DJ (I hate using that phrase) completes his/her (Hi Kathy) stop set.

When I used to produce local talk shows on radio, I would watch subtle eye movements towards the clock or wristwatch, hand gestures, or even when the host interrupts a guest speaker to sum it all up, as indicators that the host wants/needs to go to a break.

Computers just can't follow these very human indicators. It's as if the producer is reading the mind of the host. I've trained board operators for over twenty years to read these cues and to develop a rapport with the host in order to have a good show, otherwise you will hear the anticipation and the lack of cohesion between host and producer resulting in a lousy program content. Trying to follow a host's cues is even harder when doing a live remote where all you have is their "over the air" broadcast with no field producer to control segues with the studio board operator.

Fortunately Joe Moore and Kanoa Leahey know how to ride out these problems without making themselves look bad. The automation problems only make people want to check out their newscasts now, kinda like watching an Indy 500 race only for two reasons, 1) to see who wins, and 2) see the crashes.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'm surprised they deployed it on a Monday rather than on the weekend, when things are usually rough around the edges anyway. (Though, of course, at some point their weeknight crew would still have to be put through the paces.) I was wondering weeks ago whether they were making the transition, as I definitely noticed more mis-cues and "wrong camera" flubs than usual.

As I mentioned in other threads here, it sure seems as if the turmoil there is showing up on screen, despite "preserving" the on-air side of the equation. In the long run, the new system may save plenty of money and make for a lean, mean, news machine... but by that point, will their audience still be around?

KGMB's recent win over KHON for the 10 p.m. shows great work is being done by KGMB, to be sure... but probably reflects a stumble on KHON's part, as well.

Comment

in my humble opinion the outdated Nielsen ratings system in Hawaii..where people actually still use a pen and a book to fill out their viewing habits is not telling the true story.

I think if we went to a computerized system we'd get more accurate reports of what people are watching.

I think many people just fill out the entire book with one station because it's easier.... even if they may happen to watch other newscasts.

and look at the past SPJ awards...KGMB would routinely kick KHON's butt because KGMB knows how to tell a good story.... Jim Mendoza among them.

unfortunately, with a recent NEws Director at KGMB who is no longer there, some of the great story telling at KGMB was suppressed, so my friends tell me, and they haven't won a lot of awards like back in the day.

Comment

something messed up tonight

slate and no audio for a long time!

Comment

Working...
          X