Cable vs. Satellite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cable vs. Satellite

If you compare the two then for cable you have to compare it against it's Digital service because that's all that satallite offers.

In both cases one must use a specialized digital box to receive the digital signal. In other words you simply cannot hook up your tv set to a satellite or digital cable coax feed thru and expect to get 120+ channels or any at all.

So if you have ten TV sets you need 10 boxes and that comes at a cost. And this is where the comparison weighs in towards cable. With cable if you want to equip your ten tv sets with digital service you simply get 10 boxes and hook them up to your cable feed thru from the cable company.

With satellite, your LNB must go thru a switchbox that has a limit of up to four offered by DishNetwork or 5 from aftermarket sources that may or may not work with your digital service provider.

Beyond that you must acquire another account to obtain over four or five tv set capability.

I subscribe to DishNetwork and have the 4-room set up unfortunately I need a fifth. However DishNetwork cannot provide me with a 5-way switchbox (not the same as a splitter or video router). I've researched aftermarket 5-way switchboxes and they aren't compatable with DishNetwork's proprietary system.

You simply cannot split an LNB's digital downlinked signal the way you can a digital cable signal and yes I've tried, you lose the integrity of the digital bitstream completely once it passes thru the splitter.

Pricewise if 4-rooms is all that you need then DishNetwork's $29.95/mo for the 4-room setup package with 125 digital channels with local broadcasts is unbeatable, yet.

But if you crave RoadRunner and want Oceanic's proprietary channels such as OC16, then you must subscribe to Oceanic's cable service and pay the higher price.

Quality wise both sound the same and look the same however when I lived in Kaimuki on 18th Avenue, Oceanic's feed had poor grounding. It took me forever to isolate the 60Hz buzz that was eminating thru my home theater system until I unthreaded the coax lead-in from Oceanic and the buzz went away. I checked the ground wire on the splitter and that was fine, my ground was okay, somewhere in Oceanic's hub was a failure in their grounding.

Reliability wise, when it rains you tend to lose your satellite signal, for Oceanic, when the wind blew the overhead cable lines you'd lose the signal. In both cases if one bit in the serial digital bitstream drops you lose the entire signal. The digital box (whether it be satellite or cable) needs to reacquire the digital signal by filling it's buffer with it. Kinda refilling the bucket of water before opening up the water spigot below it to maintain a flow. When you lose your digital signal your bucket empties. You have to wait until the bucket can fill to a minimal level before you can use it again.

With analog, there is no bucket to fill before use. You simply get static on the lines, but at least you can still see the snap of the football (albeit grainy) and the action. With digital your entire audio and video drops and then nothing until the digital box reacquires the signal and that could take several minutes, in the meantime you don't know if the Raiders made their first down or just lost field turf on their 4th down attempt to run the ball.

I've had Cable both digital and analog (prefer analog) and DishNetwork's satellite service and can honestly say I prefer to have Oceanic's analog service for price and reliability. You can still have Road Runner with analog. As a matter of fact, you can subscribe to Road Runner without even having to open an analog or digital cable service. You can still tap off the coax before the cable modem but all you'd get is Oceanic's basic service which is the standard broadcast signals up to 13+14 plus some of their upper irrelevent channels. They install a filter to block out ch's 15 to 60-something. Without that filter you'd receive their Standard package. If you remove that filter without their knowledge that's considered utility theft and carries a hefty penalty of $5,000 per violation (for every tv set in your house) and/or 5-years imprisonment at a federal lock up because utility theft is a federal offense.

So take your pick. My preference is Oceanic's Standard analog package with Road Runner. Unfortunately my choice deep out here in Kea'au is limited to DishNetwork's 4-room $29.95 deal. Even my Verizon phone line isn't conditioned to allow for DSL. As a matter of fact my 56K dial up transfer rate is limited to 40.2 Kbs because of the crappy lines here (we drop telephone and data signals repeatedly out here)
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Cable vs Satellite

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz04a.html
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

GTE Americast was purchased by Craig Wireless. Which incidentally has closed up shop but they retained the frequency
        rights they owned to provide their service.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

We've had Digital Cable for awhile through Oceanic. Our total
          bill for two digital boxes, digital cable, franchise fees,taxes
          is $74.71 per month. I like Digital Cable because there are channels offered on Digital that are not offered on analog that I like. I also like the Video on Demand.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

With DishNetwork I now pay $40 per month for 120+ digital channels for four digital boxes. You don't get video on demand however you do get a free digital recorder and PPV. With the digital recorder you can set up your recording time thru the menu guide service.

Considering the cost difference, I'd rather have a digital recorder and pay less.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              Considering the cost difference, I'd rather have a digital recorder and pay less.
              Does that include local channels ? To be frank I only have around forty channels in my favorites. There is so much
              junk on Oceanic's Digital Cable, luckily you can skip by it.
              To get DVR with Oceanic costs an additional 9.95 a month.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've had Dish Network since '98 and have been Satellite only since 2000. With that said, I also had Oceanic Cable for a few years including Digital Cable and have nothing but great things to say about Oceanic's service.
                Just in my case, I craved live sports programming and at that time channels like TNT were delayed by Oceanic, so I sought out Dish Network's availability in Hawaii. At first a very limited service was available in Hawaii but since 2000 most of Dish's service has been available here and it came to the point that I was paying for 2 services that were near duplicates of each other so I dropped Oceanic mostly due to the extra sports that Dish offers.
                Now I've jumped on the HDTV bandwagon and moved in the last couple of years back to Town from the Windward Side. Unfortunely, the building I now live in hasn't upgraded the wiring necessary for me to get Oceanic's HD tier. So instead, I upgraded all my equipment from Dish and receive HD programming from them( sort of Craig's predicament in reverse ).

BTW: Craig I noticed that you have DishPro receivers, do you also have DishPro LNB's and a DP34. If so, all you need to do is cascade an additional DP34 and you can add up to 4 more receivers. Unless your a DHA sub(lease) then your SOL, Dish won't allow lease subs to have more than 4 receivers on one account.

Comment

I have the DishPro. I recently went to Parts Express www.partsexpress.com or www.parts-express.com for those who have restricted internet access (notice the "sex" in the partsexpress link), and they sell switchboxes for up to 18 receivers compatable with my DishNetwork satellite box (Echostar).

Oh and yes DishNetwork does include all local channels including KHON and KHET.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

Oh and yes DishNetwork does include all local channels including KHON and KHET.
                    Let me rephrase what I said. Does the price you said include the local channels ?
                    Do you need a second dish to catch local channels ?
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Satellite (Dish Network) Customers: What kind of "programming package" do you guys have??? Do any of you have "America's Top 180"??? If so, did it require you to have two satellites on your roof??? Does this package (Top 180) also have a special in price so can have the system hook up to 4 televisions, along with free installation???

Comment

Here's a full rundown of what I have.

Equipment:
                        24" Dish for 119w
                        30" Dish for 110w
                        Dish 811 HD Satellite Receiver
                        Zenith Silver Sensor Antenna for Digital OTA(Primarily KITV-DT and KGMB-DT)

Programming:
                        AT120 Pkg.
                        HBO Pkg(includes HBO-HD)
                        Mulit-Sports Pkg.(FSN's-includes all Mariners games/NBA-TV)
                        HD Pkg.(Disc. HD/HDNet/HDNet Movies/TNT-HD/ESPN-HD)
                        KCBS/WCBS(I have waivers for CBS and NBC-used the NBC feed for the Olympics)

If you only want the AT60/AT120 pkg and Honolulu Local Stations(both are on 119w) one dish is all that is necessary. But for AT180 or PPV(Sports and Movies) you will need 2 dishes. As far as I know the free install/equipment deals only include one dish, but depending on what size dish you need for 110w should only cost $100-$200 for the extra dish/LNB/Multi-switch.
                        I paid for all and installed all the equipment that I have, there was no free install/equipment deals when I added Dish in '98, heck most of the equipment I have either had to buy on the mainland or over the internet and have $hipped here. But as the saying go, there's extra pride in doing things for yourself.

Comment

I have a dual LNB with one dish and have the option of PPV. When we first got onboard we got a pretty impressive package including some of the PPV plus music channels on a single dish. That single dish also includes all the local broadcast channels from KHON to KHNL 13.

Oh yes free installation and free equipment with a 2-year committment.
                          Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 17, 2004, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Interesting, I was on the mainland this summer. My uncle has satellite
                            but to get local channels he had to add a second dish. Thats why I was
                            curious.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Reposted from a different thread (which could be closed, Admin. )

We're looking at alternatives to Oceanic Cable.

Circuit City and Best Buy both offer $29.99/mo deals through Jan. 28 of this year for the first 3 months of 24-month contracts. That includes basic stuff; if you want local channels it goes up $3/month, and HD goes up $10-$12/month. Then you pay $5/month for each additional TV, too.

Who's got dish or direct? How much does the initial satellite receiver cost? It's not indicated in the ads or on the websites that I can find.
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I don't know what service they are getting, but a friend of mine who lives in the Century Center condo near the convention center... they have satellite TV and get about 250 channels. I don't know what it costs, but I'll ask her.

The thing about whether or not you choose cable or satellite. The choice is usually only available for those who live in single family homes. Condo dwellers generally have no choice as to whether or not they can choose satellite or cable. In my building I am pretty much stuck with cable.

This will be interesting to follow to see what others say about the cost and benefits of choosing one over the other.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X