Nbc Hdtv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nbc Hdtv

Any chance the Olympics might be broadcast in HDTV?

The NAB website
    http://www.nab.org/newsroom/issues/d...tvstations.asp
    shows both the NBC and Fox DTV stations on channel 2n/22.

Does NBC even have a DTV station in operation?

Thanks,
    --Michael (Maui)

Re: Nbc Hdtv

As far as watching the Olympics in HDTV in Hawaii, it doesn't look good.
    Currently KHNL is not broadcasting in OTA digital from Honolulu or Maui. KHNL's Hilo repeater KHBC is available in OTA digital on ch. 22, but is only repeating KHNL's analog programming, no HDTV. As of the last FCC comment from KHNL concerning it's DTV stations for Honolulu and Maui KHNL says the end of '04 is the earliest but more likely summer '05.
    The only hopes for Olympic coverage in HDTV in Hawaii is if KHNL allows Oceanic to offer NBC-HD via that service, NBC is delaying the HD programming by 24 hours to not canniblize the SD coverage, so it might make it viable.
    The other choice may be to use a dish to get Canada's StarChoice sat service, although a new satellite for HD is being launched in July and may not ready for service by the August Olympic start.

Comment

Mahalo for the reply.

>>The only hopes for Olympic coverage in HDTV in Hawaii is if KHNL allows Oceanic to offer NBC-HD via that service,<<

Do you know how Oceanic picks up the feeds from the local stations? I always assumed it was via an OTA antenna (like the old days).<g>

>>NBC is delaying the HD programming by 24 hours to not canniblize the SD coverage<<

Interesting...I wouldn't think the number of HD viewers at this point would be large enough to worry about. Mind telling me where you heard this?

>>The other choice may be to use a dish to get Canada's StarChoice sat service, although a new satellite for HD is being launched in July and may not ready for service by the August Olympic start. <<

I don't know anyone in Canada who could subscribe and send me the receiver. I see a couple of HDTV channels on E2, but nothing on F1.
      http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/starchoicef1.html

Do you know what size reflector is required for F1 in Hawaii nei (spot beam is 10 dB down from main beam)?

--Michael

Comment

Do you know how Oceanic picks up the feeds from the local stations? I always assumed it was via an OTA antenna (like the old days).<g>
        All of the major Honolulu stations use direct link to Oceanic for picking up local telecast. In the NBC-HD case though, Oceanic would directly take the feed via satellite and insert KHNL ads at approiate times to give the impression that it's from KHNL.

Interesting...I wouldn't think the number of HD viewers at this point would be large enough to worry about. Mind telling me where you heard this?
        From NBC Olympics.com

For the first time by a U.S. broadcaster at a Summer Olympics, NBC will provide high definition coverage. NBC's separate, unique HDTV coverage on NBC's digital affiliates, presented by Sony Electronics Inc., will provide HDTV coverage on delay of six sports from the only main Olympic venues provided in high definition by the Olympic host broadcaster. Those sports include swimming, diving, gymnastics, track and field, medal rounds of basketball and the men's soccer gold medal final. The HDTV coverage will total 399 hours and is a completely different production from the standard definition broadcast on the network. NBC has 124 HDTV affiliates with the potential to cover 86 percent of the country.
        While not specifically stating it, the belief is that the separate coverage is to make the HD service a "B" feed to again not detract from the SD coverage.

As for StarChoice, no need to know a Canuck directly. Buy from a "grey" market seller like Global Communications and use a broker to set up the account via Credit Card.
        E2R(where StarChoice's HD is located) is the satellite being replaced with a new bird, launch date July 12th. F1 is viewable in Hawaii with at minimum 36" dish, 39"(1m) or 1.2m is recommended, and F2 is an exact duplicate or F1.

Hope this helps,

Charles

Comment

-Excellent- discussion at:
          http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/legal.html

Hmm, "Mike Kohl"...the name seems to ring a bell. Orbitron from the late 80's?

Mahalo nui loa for the great info, Charles. If you hear anything more about Oceanic carrying the NBC HD feed, I'd really appreciate it if you'd post it here.

--Michael

Comment

Working...
          X