It's hOnOlulu, dammit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's hOnOlulu, dammit!

how about we go cruise the lighk lighk highway?

Comment

A familiar pet peeve is getting hashed out in the Advertiser. An Aug. 31 letter from Warner King:
      Incorrect pronounciation of our state's capital city really chills my kim chee. The word is HO-NOLULU; not HANALULU. Each evening during the local TV news broadcasts there is at least one offense. If I were not so lazy, I would pick up the phone and yell at the talking heads who are the offenders.
      Prompting two more letters in the Aug. 4 edition. Merle Stetser makes the case that "Hanalulu" may very well have been a valid pronunciation, once upon a time. And Jere F. Choo notes that most people pronounce "Hawai'i" incorrectly, let alone Honolulu.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        A familiar pet peeve is getting hashed out in the Advertiser. An Aug. 31 letter from Warner King:Prompting two more letters in the Aug. 4 edition. Merle Stetser makes the case that "Hanalulu" may very well have been a valid pronunciation, once upon a time. And Jere F. Choo notes that most people pronounce "Hawai'i" incorrectly, let alone Honolulu.
        This is a pet peeve of mine as well. Maybe I'm unreasonable, but expect broadcast journalists to make an extra effort to pronounce names and places the right way. You know, to set an example!

In addition to the names of our city and state, another one that makes me cringe is hearing the first word of Ala Moana pronounced similarly to "Alan" instead of "Ah-lah."

Oh well...back to lurking!
        No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

It gets me when folks who you think would make a special effort at correct pronunciation still don't get it right. Like on Hawaiʻi Public Radio -- I don't know who the Maui Land and Pineapple guy is, but he's got a pretty heavy local accent. I cringe whenever I hear him say:

"Suppo't for Da Hawaiian Word of da Day is brot' to you by Maui Land an' Pine. Culta-vatin' aloha for Hawaʻi and its people for da nex' hundred years."

Brah, it's Hawaiʻi, not Hawaʻi!!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Brah, it's Hawai‘i, not Hawa‘i!!
            Surprisingly these Hawaiian Language Instant Immersion CDs I have here specifically list it as an alternative. First word in the vocabulary... "Hawai‘i, the name of the island which also gives its name to the state." Second word... "Hawa‘i, an often used alternative to Hawai‘i."

Comment

I guess it's like the dilemma that dictionary publishers have -- do you uphold the standards of the language and insist on proper spelling and pronunciation, or do you bow to common usage and let the language change however it may?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                I guess it's like the dilemma that dictionary publishers have -- do you uphold the standards of the language and insist on proper spelling and pronunciation, or do you bow to common usage and let the language change however it may?
                It's hard to take the former path with a living language, no matter the frustration it may cause for our inner grammar nazis.

Comment

Does Mispronunciation of Hawaiian Words Irk You?

I hate when I hear the "A" word when the word Honolulu is mentioned by ppl here or mentioned on a news program. There is NO "A" in Honolulu!

Whats YOURS?

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                    We had fun with this in Tucson too. It's Too-sahn. Sah-wa-ro. Hi-la.
                    Being Latino, I have difficulty with people mispronouncing "Vallejo" . . . "Vah-Lay-Ho" is grating.

So, I say "valley-joe" because no one understands me when I correctly pronounce it "vah-yeh-ho" . . .
                    Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

People from other places don't know how to pronounce local place names. What a fucking shock.

How about if every one of you steps back and realizes that you're not freaking perfect, either? That maybe you don't know everything about every culture in every part of the world, and maybe ... just maybe ... you are mispronouncing words yourselves?

I couldn't have said it better myself

Some folks jis' git' twisted 'round the axle for no good reason. Can you say regional dialect?

Comment

Working...
                      X