Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OC 16 looking better........

Originally posted by tvguy
    Countdown just recently began airing.....
    The hardest part for all involved is being able to put out a weekly show, with all the work involved. I give props to Countdown because it looks to be a very edit-intensive show.

That is where they can save themselves some time, money and work; reduce all those quick cuts and throwaway edits....
    I swear, I try to give the show a chance but it seems to be working against my valiant attempt to watch it.
    Too many quick zoom ins to the point of blurry, overly pixelated, out of focus... and that is the frame they hold on! if they slow it down a little it would be easier on the eye.
    Tried to watch tonite's;
    10 best drive ins.
    (which on Oahu, basically takes care of them all.)

OK, so they start with "Diners" in Kalihi.
    All we got to see was a fast wiggly shaky zoom in shot of the menu from a customer's pov.
    Then a fast zoom shot onto a styrofoam plate of chicken with its lid closing.
    and all the shots look as if they were either shot through the lens coated with chicken grease, or Tiny Tadani's throwaway Sears Hi8 camcorder he ran over last month.
    Then they cut to the studio interviews with that clique of local radio "personailities" with their sunglasses on and cheap plastic trucker hats on bassackwards.
    riffing goofily like high school kids.
    For too long.
    And they keep coming back to the same people. and they seem to repeat their riffs. And after a while, it seemed to be designed as nothing more than a venue to display the wackiness of these goofy local radio hosts. Seemed to be 80% kooky jokes about THEIR history with the general genre of drive ins, and very little about the actual drive in supposedly featured in that part of the show.

First thing ya do, when yer talking about a place;
    get an establishing shot in there and get da hell out. Front and side. "Here's what it looks like, and its environs."
    OK? ok! good.
    Then get some behind da counter, behind the scenes shots. POV that most people don't get.
    But no, they don't do that.
    I don't even know what it looks like. Has it changed since last I was in that area?!
    I forgot what da hell it looks like. Show me! If I drive down da street, will I recognize it?! NO! cuz they didn't even show it!
    further we wanna know, but we don't get;
    Why is this place special? What do they have or prep that other plate lunch places don't have? secret recipe, weekday deals, special combo?
    I didn't see any interview with the owner or a manager.
    Oh; Some female dj said "i used to work there" and then acted as if she was very embarrassed to admit that.
    I know it ain't supposed to be 10 commercials for these places, (at least I sure hope to hell the owners weren't given that promise or impression of receiving commercial level exposure...)
    but sheeyit; let's have a little visuals and concrete info on the place!
    I changed channels after I got tired of the studio halfjokefest. I didn't tune in to see non-standup comedians swinging at jokes and missing. It all seemed much too strained and forced.
    So, i channel surf for a while and come back to Countdown. No, it hasn't shown any other diner or drive in. It wasn't when i popped back in, at least. The kids, however are still doin' the vampy and campy thing, and I do give them credit for their perseverance and fortitude under conditions, which I dearly hope, they are just slightly embarrassed to find themselves in.
    It was at that moment the full impact of the realization hit me: this basically was fully designed, intended and formulated to be a weekly televised venue to display radio host and DJ egos and their respective "schtitik".
    Much more than it is to celebrate to any large (or even medium) degree, what makes our Hawaii special, and especially to document those things that we may enjoy on a daily basis and take for granted, but will regret it when they are gone. But does countdown document this for the future, even if the future is say, 6 months down the road, and heaven forbid; our favorite diner just got levelled to make way for anodda 7-11?
    No! It's a DJ jokefest. Minus the jokes.
    Ok, Does countdown document the places to allow us to be reminded of what is in an area of town we usta go to, but now we hardly see... but it would be great to visit that place cuz I saw it on Countdown?!

No! ..has gotta be the answer. Cuz I nevah wen SEE um on Countdown. But I did see some people with sunglasses actin' goofy talking about living next to the drive in! Does that count?!
    Only to three.
    Last edited by kimo55; June 10, 2005, 11:05 PM. Reason: for Editing: wot; you expek perfection firss try?!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      I caught that too, Link. I'd be really interested to know if that promo was edited by a woman. As if "a night full of warm and fuzzy stuff just for ladies!" wasn't condescending enough.
      what gender wrote it and /or produced it, too.
      Not that there's anything WRONG with either gender.... aaah forget it.

hey;
      I wanna see
      "a night full of ruff and tumble just for the men".
      and I WON'T feel condescended... at.. to... for...

Comment

the Baraquios' show...

ooookay...
        Can't do it.
        Too much of a chick film tv show.
        Ok, fair enuff; not geared toward men. at all.
        least i hope not.
        cept maybe that girlyman on the roadrunner repair commercial.
        ("I luuuv ta shop fer wimmenz shoozz!")

Ok. so i wanna see same kine thing for da guys.
        But not 5 dudes hanging all over designer sofas in a decorator set.
        Nope.
        Some waimanalo back yard
        draped over picnic tables and worn out rattan papasan chairs and oda stuffs li'dat.

big bucket fulla ice holding a few cases of primo. (we gotta bring back primo, first)
        da braddahs talking story about whatevahs.
        buddies pop in whenevahs. leave aftah a beer or two.
        yea. dass da ticket.

Comment

Working...
        X