Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Relief for Jasmine...

Originally posted by kukui_nut
    Who here besides moi is actually relieved that Jasmine had just been voted off of AI?
    I thought the Top Four results show would have been an ideal exit for her, but you're certainly not the only one relieved Jasmine escaped the finals. As I mentioned above, it was getting ugly, and frankly, while she's nice and a decent singer, she wasn't ready for the Big Leagues... not by a long shot. After the tour, and after she's shoved in our faces at every opportunity at local events and in local commercials, she'll be able to either concentrate on developing her talent, or - what I think is more likely - chalk it up to "wacky adolescence" and head off to college to study medicine.

Charges of racism are nothing new, and hell, probably not entirely unfounded. Clay and Ruben from last year? And there was a lot of focus on ethnicity this year, notably in Jasmine's case (the "Filipino Factor"). Race played a factor, I'm sure, but not a big one. I even think the Hawaii voting thing was overblown. The two largest reasons Jasmine stayed while LaToya left last week were (1.) Jasmine's tears, however sincere, and (2.) Latoya's voters, taking her success for granted.

And sure, American Idol was one heck of a commentary on the pop-culture obsessions of our country, but... I'm pretty sure it's not why the people who hate us hate us. (I don't think Al Qaeda watches, at least.) And as far as exhibits in documenting our decline, one of Fox's other shows, The Swan, is probably a better fit!

Comment

Re: American Idol Continues.....

Although there's surely still strong interest in American Idol among island residents, with Jasmine Trias eliminated last week the show itself is not really a "Hawaii Television" phenomenon anymore. So, let's direct future conversations about American Idol to "The Tube," where conversations about television in general (network and cable) take place.

Comment

Record Idol Viewership Balloons Local Fox Ratings

Good news for KHON TV... American Idol pulled in a record breaking 50 percent prime time rating and a 73 share.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This topic is being reopened to continue discussion (if any) regarding American Idol's local ratings.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KHON's American Idol Ratings Redo

This topic is being reopened to continue discussion (if any) regarding American Idol's local ratings.
            Well, we knew the show did very well... but it turns out, it might not have done as well as everyone thought. The Star-Bulletin has an article on a reportedly unprecedented "reissue" of Nielsen ratings for one week in February because the wife of a KHON employee filled out one of the Nielsen diaries, against Nielsen policy.

Details of what the new ratings will look like are unknown, but [Hawaii market senior vice president for Emmis Communications Corp. Rick] Blangiardi understands the station will lose, at most, two-tenths of a rating point in one or more portions of the broadcast day. Blangiardi did not know as of yesterday when the new book would arrive in the hands of subscribing TV stations and advertising agencies.

Comment

Eh??? Why did KHON have that "mistake"? They seem to come out on top with their newscasts everytime they put out ratings. I personally never watch KHON news unless someother family member has turned it to that channel. Can't say why because some of the other channels are getting too "cutesy" for my tastes when it comes to broadcasting the news. I do believe that people did turn on to AI though...I know I did!
              Retired Senior Member

Comment

Working...
              X