A local news dream team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A local news dream team

User "media veteran" started this speculative thread at our old message board:

Who would be on it? The answers are as varied as there are posters, probably ... it's a dream team, so it doesn't have to include people currently on the news.

The way-too-many anchors would include Bob Sevey, Kirk Matthews, Linda Coble, Leslie Wilcox, Tim Tindall, Bob Jones, Shawn Ching, Kim Gennaula, Jim AND Kanoa Leahey (one at 6, one at 10) Sharie Shima (wx). Reporters: Matt Levi, Tina Shelton, Keoki Kerr, Chris Parsons, Darryl Huff, Ray Lovell, Diane Ako ... wow, not too many current reporters I'd hire, were I in charge.

In sports, Jai Cunningham, John Veneri and with more mentoring, Wailele (sp?) Salas could be really good.

Some reporters I considered are not listed here because they do puffy, uncritical and imbalanced reporting -- or over-critical, imbalanced reporting, they're too prominently featured in their stories, (which are supposed to focus on the news, not how well they can walk and chew gum at the same time), they don't speak well, I can't stand their voices/cadence, etc. Others are left off because being on TV is clearly more important to them than is journalism.

Some anchors were left off merely because I prefer those I listed.

My team would not include Joe Moore, so because Hawaii viewers are so rut-stuck watching him, I guess my team wouldn't get the ratings it would probably deserve. MAN, Joe speaks slowly and for an Aiea grad, he can't read most Hawaiian words to save his life! The use of the word "succeed" instead of "secede" was an embarrassment.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: A local news dream team

Bob Sevey is definitely venerable. I recall watching Walter Cronkite, then segueing to Sevey. Of course, I had to forgo Electric Company so I could watch the news at 6 (my parents didn't let me stay up late back then).

Speaking of which, I still remember that way-cool intro KGMB had to thier news... "One of the goods things about Hawaii..." or something to that effect. Almost as seminal as the Hawaii 5-0 intro... Them were the good old days...

Maybe I'm posting to the wrong thread here??

Comment

KGMB did bring that intro back for a while to some of their newscasts. However with the news actually trying to start on time (especially the 10 pm newscast) fancy intros such as the "one of the good things..." take up too much valuable time, enough that some people could hit the remote and go to a competing newscast.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I would pick Joe Moore and Tanya Boyd as anchors, Robert K for sports, Guy Hagi for weather!!

-vic
        Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Working...
        X