• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foolish heart
    replied
    Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    I don't think this will happen to the KHNL/KGMB/KFVE arrangement, sadly.

Just my gut feeling.

Knowing how companies operate, especially big, successful ones...they usually have their ducks in a row long before they decide to do something as risky as this.

Didn't one of the execs for KHNL just go on the news and state with confidence, that the arrangement will be a reality?

Leave a comment:

• foolish heart
    replied

While I don't agree with some of what Bob Jones said I think he really hit the nail on the head.

"Public service" and "news" is now an oxymoron in my opinion.

When was the last time any of us has read an investigative report or saw one on t.v. that exposed some form of corruption of great significance?

When was the last time any of us saw a reporter grill a person (politician, private business owner, anyone) about an issue of any substance?

In this age of high technology, computers, etc...it is easier than ever to hide corruption and even harder for reporters to find it and expose it to the light. (I'm not talking about just politicians, I'm talking about anyone)

Now is the best time to be doing something wrong, because chances are very, very good the news will never find out about it, let alone report it.
    Last edited by foolish heart; August 26, 2009, 08:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DaleP
    replied

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Midweek's pair of KGMB alumni makes their views known on the merger.

Bob Jones, who bemoans the fact it is ad revenues (not journalistic standards) that sustains TV news departments.

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum..._bad_for_news/

Jade Moon, who's upset at the situation because of a loss of "tradition." (There's that word again. As if tradition ever helped any failing business when it came to meeting the payroll.)

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum...gmb_tradition/

A quick slap of reality to Bob and Jade: The soapbox upon which both of you stand (Midweek magazine) is itself a business enterprise. Midweek does not exist as a public service. And it is not carried on out of some sense of nostalgia. Get real, you two!
    I think Bob got it right. Deregulatory decisions allowed stations to reduce and/or eliminate news programming. As a result of deregulation, financial considerations became more important than serving the public. What many have forgotten is that the broadcast license is not owned by the broadcaster. It is a public trust and the beneficiaries are the viewers and the listeners. Unlike the owner of a newspaper, such as Midweek, the owner of a broadcasting station can have its license terminated for not operating in the public interest. In reality, the argument is not whether this new operating agreement will cut costs or create efficiencies or economies of scale, but rather, is it in the public interest? For a broadcast licensee, that is (or should be) the bottom line.

As far as "tradition", I side with Jade on this one...emotionally as well as from a business person's point of view. Tradition is part of the "good will" in a sale...that certain hard-to-define something extra that adds value to a property. KGMB has a rich history and tradition that, to me, makes it more the most valuable property in this entire "arrangement."

In the 1980's GE took over RCA and promptly put a major competitor out of business when it dismantled RCA and sold off most of its assets. While I don't think Raycom's intent is to take KGMB off the air, much of what it appears to be doing will diminish KGMB's presence. Killing traditions will help to speed up that process.

If you can't beat 'em...take 'em over.

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied

I dunno. They have as much right to voice their opinion as much as we have a right to voice our opinion when the government raise our taxes, even though it is our duty to pay taxes.

Whether that is the right argument or not, I myself don't like the idea of this agreement. It's basically monopolizing the service. Personally, I think the FCC dropped the bomb on this one.

Leave a comment:

• Frankie's Market
    replied

Midweek's pair of KGMB alumni makes their views known on the merger.

Bob Jones, who bemoans the fact it is ad revenues (not journalistic standards) that sustains TV news departments.

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum..._bad_for_news/

Jade Moon, who's upset at the situation because of a loss of "tradition." (There's that word again. As if tradition ever helped any failing business when it came to meeting the payroll.)

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum...gmb_tradition/

A quick slap of reality to Bob and Jade: The soapbox upon which both of you stand (Midweek magazine) is itself a business enterprise. Midweek does not exist as a public service. And it is not carried on out of some sense of nostalgia. Get real, you two!

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Thought this was interesting:

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...FCC_Action.php

Leave a comment:

• Ninja
    replied

Originally posted by sin View Post
    When I heard the news I thought this was the first such arrangement in the nation but since then I have been told that there are others but was not given any specific examples. Does anyone know of a similar arrangement between two television stations that are major affiliates to combine newscasts in another top 100 market? I can't think of any.
    In the Yakima/Tri-Cities market in Washington State the ABC and FOX affiliates newscast are done by co-owned stations in Spokane, the CBS affiliate is run out of Seattle. Only the NBC station does a newscast that originates in the Yakima/Tri-Cities market itself and supplies the Seattle and Spokane stations with video for the other stations newscast.
    Last edited by Ninja; August 25, 2009, 07:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• HaleiwaDiva
    replied

Originally posted by sin View Post
    When I heard the news I thought this was the first such arrangement in the nation but since then I have been told that there are others but was not given any specific examples. Does anyone know of a similar arrangement between two television stations that are major affiliates to combine newscasts in another top 100 market? I can't think of any.
    I mentioned the station KCOY from Central California back on page 1 as an example of a shared services channel. Here is a link to information about them from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCOY-TV

Leave a comment:

• DaleP
    replied

There are over 30 TV duopolies in the United States. The FCC allows common ownership of two stations in a single market as long as there are at least eight other full-power stations owned by different owners after the duoploly is formed. Furthermore, two of the four highest rated stations cannnot be owned by the same company.

Nevertheless, there have been some instances in which a company has been accused of skirting these rules. For instance, Sinclair Broadcast Group controls all of Cunningham Broadcasting's stations with LMA's. However, nearly all of the stock in Cunningham is held in trusts by Sinclair's founders and owners. Some have alleged that this is effectively a "shell" corporation. In three markets, Cunningham and Sinclair own stations ranking in the Top 4 and in the other three, there are too few owners to legally qualify for a duopoly.

As far as 3 stations being controlled by the same entity, I think in Los Angeles NBC Universal owns KNBC, as well as KHWY and KVEA (Owned by NBC-owned Telemundo). KNBC is probably the only one of those in the Top 4.

Leave a comment:

• sin
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ninja
    replied

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    When I lived in Phoenix 25 years ago I was amazed that there were small news bureaus, actual news studios in the surrounding areas, one in Mesa, another in Glendale, these were actual NBC studios where if something happens in that area, they were ready. There also was an agreement for the NBC affiliate in Flagstaff to share services with the Phoenix affiliate even though they were two seperate stations. Flash forward 25 years, the news bureaus in Mesa and Glendale shut down, the news operations in Flagstaff also shut down after 39 years. Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities, you would think it would be better served to have all of these things intact, but the reality of the situation is economics. I, too have thought it would be great to have something set up on the other islands as well. Having someone fly over to cover a outer island breaking story seems to take too long, but now anyone can record things with digital cameras, cell phones, Flip cameras, etc. and bring things in live, which in some ways I suppose is a good thing.

Aj
    Back in the mid 80's KGMB did have a reporter stationed in Hilo...and dubbed it their "Neighbor Island Bureau", but yeah likely it was cheaper to fly someone to the outer islands or use freelancers for video footage than to keep someone on payroll.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied
    Re: Saw this new post on craigslist...

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/tfr/1333931134.html
    Hopefully it's a good opportunity for some to rebound with and not a bogus opportunist.

Please tell me you are joking. You seriously think that ad is real?

They can't even spell "Company" correctly in the title.

producers/crew = producer screw?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

It wouldn't be the most shocking development for that to happen. Trying to squeeze in more local commercial spots is one way to increase lagging ad revenue.
    I remember when the 10 o'clock news didn't start at 10 o'clock. You had to program to 10:05 if you wanted to record a show that was before the news. I left enough time so that I could see if Joe Moore made a comment of the previous program.

Leave a comment:

• genepark
    replied

Well, if you want to talk about traditions in Hawaii, do keep in mind that for many, MANY years in this state, we have had only had three local news stations.
    What I was speaking to when I said "traditional role" is the historical role news operations have played in America and globally. Because I've only lived in Hawaii for three years, I caution myself to comment on any Hawaii traditions. I'm just a guy from another island.

I totally agree that this is reflective of a shrinking economy. But I think all of this is more reflective of the notion that advertising piggybacking on news products can still be a lucrative enterprise.

Of course, I'm speaking more from the print side, where the situation is much more dire or publicized at least.

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Originally posted by DaleP View Post
    The neighbor island bias does exist. A few years ago, a friend of mine from the Mainland was attending a TV convention and found himself talking to a news director from one of the Honolulu TV stations. My friend asked about covering news in Hawaii and inquired about neighbor island coverage. The news director's response was, "Unless a plane goes into the side of Haleakala, there's no news to cover." About one-third of the state's population lives on the neighbor islands. That's a pretty decent-sized market that's often getting ignored.
    When I lived in Phoenix 25 years ago I was amazed that there were small news bureaus, actual news studios in the surrounding areas, one in Mesa, another in Glendale, these were actual NBC studios where if something happens in that area, they were ready. There also was an agreement for the NBC affiliate in Flagstaff to share services with the Phoenix affiliate even though they were two seperate stations. Flash forward 25 years, the news bureaus in Mesa and Glendale shut down, the news operations in Flagstaff also shut down after 39 years. Phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities, you would think it would be better served to have all of these things intact, but the reality of the situation is economics. I, too have thought it would be great to have something set up on the other islands as well. Having someone fly over to cover a outer island breaking story seems to take too long, but now anyone can record things with digital cameras, cell phones, Flip cameras, etc. and bring things in live, which in some ways I suppose is a good thing.

Aj

Leave a comment:

Working...
X