• bcr1652
    replied
    Re: KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "shared services agreement"

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Here posted from KGMB's own website:

Media Council to Challenge Raycom Deal
    Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com
    September 04, 2009 02:51 PM
    The Media Council is planning to challenge the Raycom deal involving KGMB, KHNL and KFVE to the FCC.

Raycom Media retains ownership of KHNL/K5, while KGMB will still be owned by MCG Capital Corporation.
    I though MCG will own KFVE. While KHNL and KGMB will be owned by Raycom.

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
    Laid-off on-air talent can always turn to PR firms or become spokespeople for big companies. Technical staff have fewer options...
    In a good economy, that would be true. In this one?

Leave a comment:

• Creative-1
    replied

Laid-off on-air talent can always turn to PR firms or become spokespeople for big companies. Technical staff have fewer options...

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Here posted from KGMB's own website:

Media Council to Challenge Raycom Deal
    Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com
    September 04, 2009 02:51 PM
    The Media Council is planning to challenge the Raycom deal involving KGMB, KHNL and KFVE to the FCC.

The group has retained the Institute for Public Representation, based at Georgetown Law, to prove its stance that the agreement is "nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to avoid regulatory scrutiny by the FCC and that Raycom will exercise control over all three stations in defiance of the FCC ownership rules."

Raycom made the announcement of the shared services deal August 18. Under the agreement, the three stations will merge news, as well as other operations.
    Raycom Media retains ownership of KHNL/K5, while KGMB will still be owned by MCG Capital Corporation.

"Stations are granted licenses to serve the public interest in the communities they serve. This arrangement will reduce diversity of opinion, create canned newscasts, increase advertising rates, strangle independent programming, and raise barriers to any who wish to enter the market," said Chris Conybeare, president of MCH.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied
    KGMB - KHNL - KFVE "stolen services agreement"

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    There was a time that the Star Bulletin and the Advertiser "shared services" with Gannett. The editorial staffs were separate, but the printing and advertising were combined. The KGMB/KHNL situation looks more like a "takeover" than a merger of shared services. With Rick Blangiardi protecting his people, only John Fink's KHNL/KFVE staff is being let go. No matter that Blangiardi ran his station into near bankruptcy, the one with the louder crying gets fed first. How sad.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    The Advertiser eliminated the Star-Bulletin (for a while, anyway), now power is being consolidated within the TV stations.

Power. Remember that? Power corrupts?
    "Gee, now that we have the power, let's get rid of the popular newscasters and promote the lesser-known... and save on salaries!"

WOW! Now we get to vote with our channel-selectors!

KHON - Here we come!

Leave a comment:

• bcr1652
    replied

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
    What I'm wondering is whether this kicks off a game of musical chairs at the remaining two stations with all this talent becoming "available" or whether there's an exodus to the Mainland by the newly departed.
    Hmmm if those laid off want to work at other TV stations in this market (i.e. KITV or KHON), on-air positions are possible, but sorta limited... unless they entirely revamp their anchor line-up and/or add any more newscasts. But I'm not quite sure if these stations have the efficient resources to hire more people with positions that may be possible, on-air at least.

Examples:
    @ KITV
    -10pm co-anchor with Paula Akana
    -Addition of an anchor/reporter on the morning news
    -Weekend co-anchor with Jill Kuramoto
    -Field/general assignment reporter / feature reporter

@ KHON
    -5pm co-anchor with Ron Mizutani
    -Addition of an anchor/reporter on the morning news
    -Weekend co-anchor with Marisa Yamane
    -Weekend weather anchor
    -Field/general assignment reporter / feature reporter
    Last edited by bcr1652; September 4, 2009, 11:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Frankie's Market
    replied

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
    What I'm wondering is whether this kicks off a game of musical chairs at the remaining two stations with all this talent becoming "available" or whether there's an exodus to the Mainland by the newly departed.
    Both will likely happen.

I think Diane will get picked up by one of the other stations.

Dash? Hard to say. He could land another job here.... but maybe not as a news anchor.

OTOH, it could be tough going for Sharie. I do hope that she lands on her feet, somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Linkmeister
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mel
    replied

Mixed reaction to this at PBN poll...

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...?poll_id=10601

Honolulu Advertiser article on Dashefsky Ako and Shima layoffs.

http://tinyurl.com/lmwph6

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Most of the comments by anonymous posters in both papers in response to the merger and latest layoffs have been nasty and mean-spirited. I don't know who modern millie is, but here's an example BELOW:

Aj

modern millie
    Honolulu, HI
    Reply ยป
    |Report Abuse |Judge it! |#138 7 hrs ago
    Judged:
    There was a time that the Star Bulletin and the Advertiser "shared services" with Gannett. The editorial staffs were separate, but the printing and advertising were combined. The KGMB/KHNL situation looks more like a "takeover" than a merger of shared services. With Rick Blangiardi protecting his people, only John Fink's KHNL/KFVE staff is being let go. No matter that Blangiardi ran his station into near bankruptcy, the one with the louder crying gets fed first. How sad.

Leave a comment:

• DXer
    replied

I just find it so classic, that TV stations News Departments will do everything they can to get into a company's business to uncover wrong doings, possible corruptions, etc. Even taking company's to court to "open up the books". However, when it is something within the TV industry. Everything goes into full lockdown, no one from management will speak and it is all a guessing game.

My sources say:
    KHNL Morning show Talent and production staff - Gone.
    KHNL Weather Talent - Gone.
    Plus other Talent listed in previous posts
    Feeling at KHNL; KGMB is taking over.

DXer

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
    Is John Fink living up to his name?
    Think About It.
    I wonder if Blangiardi will have to do editorial commentaries once the merger is complete, isn't that a requirement of all stations under Raycom ownership?

Aj

Leave a comment:

• bcr1652
    replied

Originally posted by zff View Post
    According to that article, so far, it's:

Diane Ako
    Zahid Arab
    Howard Dashefsky
    Leland Kim
    Sharie Shima
    Kristine Uyeno

I'm really sorry to see Diane and Dash go. I liked their morning show more than any of the others. I've always found Zahid Arab oddly entertaining too. Oh well.

Does anyone have a list on the KGMB side?
    Add to KHNL's list: Paul Drewes

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Is John Fink living up to his name?
    Think About It.

Leave a comment:

• genepark
    replied

Originally posted by scsdogg View Post
    Lots of pink slips today @ KHNL...reporters & photogs.
    Oh hey! You're here too!

This was like the first Web site I went to when I first moved to Hawaii. haha

Leave a comment:

Working...
X