KGMB news disaster (8/4/08)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KGMB news disaster (8/4/08)

if you're watching the channel 9 news at 10, you'll know what i'm talking about: it was a complete disaster; well, at least for the first 5 minutes. as soon as they were on the air, you knew something was up. kim looked around like "what's going on?" lots of paper visible on the desk. reading from the paper vs teleprompter.

two stories: both failed; no video! kim was smart and said, we'll be back after this commercial break.

auwe! under the circumstances, they dealt with it pretty well!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: KGMB news disaster (8/4/08)

Fo' real!! what happened? us mainland folks wants to know, li'dat!

Comment

sorry! in retrospect, i should've just shrugged my shoulders and not posted it. nothing dramatic; just a real rough start when two stories that were supposed to go to video ended up with the camera still on kim and keahi and silence....

like i said, after they decided to go to a commercial break, everything was fine and they handled it well.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Does KGMB still play Classical Gas when there is technical difficulties and the screen freezes? What musical numbers does the other 3 local stations play when that happens?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
          Does KGMB still play Classical Gas when there is technical difficulties and the screen freezes? What musical numbers does the other 3 local stations play when that happens?
          =======================
          ooohh, Classical gas.....that's way back maybe 30 years ago eh?
          I don't think any station does anything like that any more.
          Here is some vintage audio from a collector on the west coast.

http://members.aol.com/dnrhand/gas.mp3

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
            =======================
            I don't think any station does anything like that any more.
            Here is some vintage audio from a collector on the west coast.

http://members.aol.com/dnrhand/gas.mp3
            Who's doing the voiceover announcement? Was it Bob Sevey?

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
              =======================
              [...]
              Love that song! It hit the charts when I was pregnant with youngest spawn. She just turned 40!

Comment

=================
                Definitely not Sevey. Maybe a KGMB radio voice of that period.

Comment

Wild guess, the late George Kennedy. The local radio, tv and commercial spokersperson, not the well known actor of the same name.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                    nothing dramatic; just a real rough start when two stories that were supposed to go to video ended up with the camera still on kim and keahi and silence.
                    Was the top story late-breaking? If so, I would imagine that the first tape was still being edited (and thus unavailable) when Kim threw to it. But if the second story wasn’t ready either, it’s more likely none of the tapes were cued yet. Whatever the scenario, it would have been much worse if KGMB had one of those automated “Ignite” systems like KHON.

Now you’ve got me curious. Too bad I don’t have TiVo.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

yeah, too bad i didn't have it recorded so i could send you a digital copy. of course, it was just funny because the moment they were on the air, you knew something was wrong.

you know, if a person had the video footage, a compilation of local news meltdowns would be very funny! i can see it on YouTube now!

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      Was the top story late-breaking? If so, I would imagine that the first tape was still being edited (and thus unavailable) when Kim threw to it. But if the second story wasn’t ready either, it’s more likely none of the tapes were cued yet. Whatever the scenario, it would have been much worse if KGMB had one of those automated “Ignite” systems like KHON.

Now you’ve got me curious. Too bad I don’t have TiVo.

Comment

Working...
                      X