Hurricane Iwa: November 23, 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hurricane Iwa: November 23, 1982

In case you haven't seen this -- I forget if I put a link up here or not -- here's a clip of KITV News from 1989:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-XrS8NFi8uA

Comment

P.S. I notice in the KITV clip, Tim Tindall invites us back for the late news at 9:30... I'd forgotten that some of the stations used to do their news at 9:30; does that mean KITV's primetime started at 6:30? Did the other stations do this as well?

It also brings up an interesting question... when did Hawai'i's stations go day-and-date in primetime with the rest of the country? I know in 1981 they were still a week behind; when did enough satellite usage take place to finally bring it up -- and what happened, did a week simply disappear from the airwaves (I assume it was done in summer, when everything was in repeats anyway)... I know we have a lot of kama'aina on the board who may still remember...

Comment

I remember sitting on a chair in my grandparent's house watching the wind blow the water in Kaneohe Bay towards Kahuku. There were actually little waves moving in a direction that ran paralel to the coast... definitely something I had never seen before or since that day...spooky stuff for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Doctah View Post
          It also brings up an interesting question... when did Hawai'i's stations go day-and-date in primetime with the rest of the country? I know in 1981 they were still a week behind; when did enough satellite usage take place to finally bring it up -- and what happened, did a week simply disappear from the airwaves (I assume it was done in summer, when everything was in repeats anyway).
          Roughly between the years 1983 to 1984. I don't know the exact date.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctah View Post
            P.S. I notice in the KITV clip, Tim Tindall invites us back for the late news at 9:30... I'd forgotten that some of the stations used to do their news at 9:30; does that mean KITV's primetime started at 6:30? Did the other stations do this as well?

It also brings up an interesting question... when did Hawai'i's stations go day-and-date in primetime with the rest of the country? I know in 1981 they were still a week behind; when did enough satellite usage take place to finally bring it up -- and what happened, did a week simply disappear from the airwaves (I assume it was done in summer, when everything was in repeats anyway)... I know we have a lot of kama'aina on the board who may still remember...
            Primetime started on all of the local stations at 6:30pm throughout most of the 1970's and into the early 80's. The network news with Cronkite, Chancellor, Reynolds, etc. usually came on around 11pm at night. And this was the case because the 5pm network newscasts in Los Angeles would air, be recorded and then the tapes sent over here via Pan Am air so same day network news could be shown at 11pm even after the 5 hour flight because of the time difference helping things out.

KITV I believe was the last station to do 9:30pm news circa 1984-85 when to answer your other question same day programming began here to coincide with the mainland. I've also seen the 9:30pm news come on, then at 10:00pm the last hour of prime time programming aired, followed by the 11pm network delayed news and a re-broadcast of the 9:30pm news at 11:30pm.

Aj

Comment

Aloha All,
              I was stationed at Hickam AFB during hurricane Iwa. As I remember this hurricane washed a very large contact/magnetic sea mine from WWII in to Hanauma bay and yes it was a real mine. Has anyone seen or know of any video on how the Navy was able to get the mine out of the bay and detonate it out at sea? I do remember news report on it and remember the big explosion of the mine out at sea. It would have just destroyed Hanauma bay if it had gone off in the bay. I clicked on the links to see the old news footage but it took me to a page in YouTube but it did not show the news reports, that I could see. If anyone has a direct link please post it. Mahlo and Aloha.

Comment

Originally posted by EIBBOR26 View Post
                Aloha All,
                I was stationed at Hickam AFB during hurricane Iwa. As I remember this hurricane washed a very large contact/magnetic sea mine from WWII in to Hanauma bay and yes it was a real mine. Has anyone seen or know of any video on how the Navy was able to get the mine out of the bay and detonate it out at sea? I do remember news report on it and remember the big explosion of the mine out at sea. It would have just destroyed Hanauma bay if it had gone off in the bay. I clicked on the links to see the old news footage but it took me to a page in YouTube but it did not show the news reports, that I could see. If anyone has a direct link please post it. Mahlo and Aloha.

Footage was likely taken down for copyright violations as the stations were not asked permission to run those clips. Either the UTube police caught this or someone at one of the local stations halted it. Most of what is posted on UTube is blatant copyright violations and many get their accounts deleted, yet resurface with a new account.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                  Whoa! that is Late in the year for a hurricane! dang, I think the week of Sept. 23 is more likely the most active for the things, historically....in the Atlantic, anyway.
                  Actually that's about right for Hawaii. Iniki hit on September 11th, 1992? Poor Kauai got nailed twice.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I don't know what it is about Kauai's microclimate/geography, but I don't see myself ever living there:
                    Attached Files
                    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

from the looks of the wind pattern my guess is that the bulk of the Big Island pushes it far enough out to sea that Maui is spared completely, then you have the Koolau on Oahu that acts like a wall and then there's cone-shaped Kauai at the end that offers almost no buffer to the winds. The hurricane picks the path of least resistance and a lot of moisture from the channel between Oahu and Kauai and then it's Catagory 5 time!
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X