Hurricane Iwa: November 23, 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Iwa: November 23, 1982

Something super neat I found on YouTube today, two short news spots that were taped on the day of Hurricane Iwa.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Me-GNGMVUis (KITV Newscenter 4 with Tim Tindall and Lynne Waters)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KWn3js6CcoU (Channel 2 News with Joe Moore)

Much gratitude to "robatsea"

Re: Hurricane Iwa: November 23, 1982

Whoa! that is Late in the year for a hurricane! dang, I think the week of Sept. 23 is more likely the most active for the things, historically....in the Atlantic, anyway.
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by oldiebuff View Post
      Something super neat I found on YouTube today, two short news spots that were taped on the day of Hurricane Iwa.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Me-GNGMVUis (KITV Newscenter 4 with Tim Tindall and Lynne Waters)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KWn3js6CcoU (Channel 2 News with Joe Moore)

Much gratitude to "robatsea"
      Thanks for sharing that footage. Boy, 25years ago with Tim Tindall & Lynne Waters, I was 25 at that time, Ouch!!!
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Wow! A blast from the past. I remember that day like it was yesterday...evacuating my kids from school...trying to explain to my panic stricken mom exactly why she couldn't get on a plane at a closed airport and fly far away from the hurricane...and cooking Thanksgiving dinner during rolling blackouts!

Comment

Yes, November is late in the year but the "official" hurricane season ends Nov 30. I remember this as the "Thanksgiving Hurricane."

Comment

I remember eating crackers and water for 2 days after the hurricane and the rolling blackouts that lasted for a few weeks. I don't remember the TV coverage since I did not have a TV at that time.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I remember WEEKS of blackouts. I was in the USAF and was living with a roommate at 500 University Ave.

Gosh sakes, Joe Moore all tanned and blond! Like a surfer guy! Hang Ten, Dude! Are those OP cord shorts below the desk line?!!!
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I remember this day too as if it were yesterday, and I was 11 years old! I remember the announcement on the P.A. system at our school, walking to the "meeting spot" and my sister and Aunty were there. We then began driving to the Elementary School for my other sister, brother and cousin. But, along the way I kept asking my "Can we pick up my friend?"

Our car was overcrowded with kids upon kids, but many of my classmates had to walk home.

We were given hurricane "prepardness" letters, and as soon as we got home, we whipped the house into shape! All of the bicycles were stored under the house, garage and front gates were tied down with rope, all the potted plants were moved to a secure corner, all the windows...ALL OF THE WINDOWS were taped in an "X", water storage, food supplies, everything done like clockwork.

The only thing? We had secured and prepared everything so diligently, that my Mom was shouting for us from outside of the garage to let her in!

My Mom taught us many "old time" songs while she strummed the ukulele, unfortunately my Dad had to remain at work which worried us all.

The next day and the days remaining, we headed to my Nanny and Papa's home in Kahalu'u to help clean up their yard, as well as the rest of the community. I learned so much during that time to say the least.
                Last edited by infinitypro; September 27, 2007, 08:08 PM. Reason: grammar.
                ___
                "Be god to each other."

Comment

I was very young and my memory of this is blurry. Here's what I DO remember. My brother and sisters would do anything to make me freak out or cry for the fun of it. It was like a sick pleasure for them, me being a bebe and them being pre-teens. They told me that during the hurricane the ocean would come all the way up to our door. They said I couldn't go outside for a looong time or else JAWS would get me.

We lived in Ewa Beach, only a few streets away from da beach. I got so worked up and scared over what they said that I threw up. Damn 70's and 80's horror flicks. Damn siblings.
                  I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

I have around 3 hours or so of coverage from the hurricane and actually sat down and watched some of it with Lynne and Emme T. recently.

Aj

Comment

I'd like to have seen some of that video of Iwa. I lived too far out in the boonies. Took too long to get power back to see much.

I've got a couple of VHS tapes from Iniki where I recorded clips from various newscasts. I'll have to see if I can find them and maybe transfer them to DVD.

Comment

I remember it more than Iniki....mostly because I slept through Iniki.
                        I was a starving student at UH during Iwa. I worked in Waikiki at a retail store in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. The store manager and I were the only lolo people to show up for work. I needed the money and figured the hurricane wouldn't be THAT bad! We secured the store and then left. I saw a coconut tree fly past me as I drove back to UH. Luckily, I didn't get hurt as my little Honda kept lifting off the ground! So young.....and soooooooo stupid!
                        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Hurricane Iniki...the real 9/11 for many of us. I remember that one very well. I was in the 7th grade. We went to bed the night before watching Dan Cooke on KITV News 4 saying, oh the hurricane is just going to pass to the south of us and watching Joe Moore on the Channel 2 News saying the same thing. Then at a little after 5 a.m., the sirens began....Hurricane Iniki has turned for the north. Wasn't Jurassic Park being filmed on Kaua`i during this?

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                            Thanks for sharing that footage. Boy, 25years ago with Tim Tindall & Lynne Waters, I was 25 at that time, Ouch!!!
                            I beat ya, I was only about 2 at the time.

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JDujfP4ZUQE

Channel 2 News with Joe Moore Special Hurricane Coverage intro the night of Hurricane Iwa.

Comment

Working...
                              X