Kauai's FM 97 is the best AC station in the state of Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kauai's FM 97 is the best AC station in the state of Hawaii

Kauai's FM 97 (KFMN FM 96.9) is the best AC station in the state of Hawaii because the station plays songs that KSSK, KUMU FM, KRTR, and KAOI FM does not play. KFMN's playlist includes forgotten soft rock classics, e.g., "I'll Never Love This Way Again" by Dionne Warwick, "The Most Beautiful Girl" by Charlie Rich, "He Don't Love You Like I Love You" by Tony Orlando and Dawn, and "Don't Give Up On Us Baby" by David Soul. Clear Channel, Cox, and Visionary will never do a playlist as diverse as KFMN.

Re: Kauai's FM 97 is the best AC station in the state of Hawaii

I don't get it. Aren't those songs oldies? Is not the term AC used for current artists (Diane Krwal, Nora Jones and so on)?

TY Lee
    (learning the ropes)

Comment

Judging from the similar comments to older threads here, IBadget (a.k.a. Ivan) is giving this station props because their playlist includes "Adult Standards" - a genre I needed to have explained to me, and one I'm not surprised most commercial stations have retired.

As mel noted, IBadget runs a discussion group dedicated to Adult Standards. But whether it's the lack of a dedicated Adult Standards station or the unexpected presence of Adult Standards on a local playlist, it's clear we're going to hear about it often here too!

Comment

Ummmmm, the REAL AC stations should be plying Sheryl Crow, 5 For Fighting, Train, Josh Groban, Seal, Maroon 5 and Dido to name a few (check AC chart on Billboard).

The ones mentioned above are Standards and that's probably the reason you don't hear it on the stations mentioned above.

KaLaNi J

Comment

I had to chuckle reading this about Fm97... having worked there years ago- I can tell you why they're still playing that "older stuff"...no can afford new records!

You wanna discuss a tightwad ownership? How 'bout this- they used to refill their five gallon water cooler plastic bottle with a hose from outside!

i kid you not

I got tired of drinkin' that frogwater...

Thanks for the smile though You really took me back.

Nuff

Comment

Originally posted by KaLaNi J.
            Ummmmm, the REAL AC stations should be plying Sheryl Crow, 5 For Fighting, Train, Josh Groban, Seal, Maroon 5 and Dido to name a few (check AC chart on Billboard).

The ones mentioned above are Standards and that's probably the reason you don't hear it on the stations mentioned above.

KaLaNi J

AC radio is built around currents, the 70's-90's "classic" or "Gold" hits are still highly core in the programming, but it's important to keep up with the times... And they do be a changin'... Matchbox 20, Dido and Five 4 Fighting are the next decades "gold" artists and you have highlight them now. In ten years people will be humming along to Unwell like they do classic Phil Collins or Hall and Oates.

Just A few thoughts,
            AC

Comment

Just a note to our newer members. Ivan has a long history of making the same kinds of posts praising one radio station or another for playing the kinds of music and artists he likes. He also like to criticize those stations that stop playing that kind of music and often wishes that other stations would dump their current programming and become "adult standards" outlets. Over the years many of us who have participated in various radio forums have reminded Ivan that the format doesn't work for this market and stations won't support it if it doesn't make money.

A Google search on Ivan yields this result.

Here are all the threads Ivan has started here. Notice the pattern?

You have to give him credit for being such a rampant fan for this kind of music.
              Last edited by mel; July 7, 2004, 08:02 PM. Reason: adding more info
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Yeah right. Kauai doesn't have much, and its few FM stations are absolutely horrible. They make up for it with AM 570, which plays Al Franken's show each afternoon. It's the only thing that makes me go Hmmmm all day. Even Kauai's Oceanic cable refuses to play Deutche Welle TV....that's the best crap on at midnight. The bottom line: we're doomed out here on Kauai.

Comment

Working...
                X