Salem & Cox Station Swap completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salem & Cox Station Swap completed

The 3 station swap between Salem Hawaii and Cox Radio was completed this week. The results are that Salem now owns Oldies 107.9 FM and Cox is the owners of stations that Salem had at 650 and 940 AM.

The results have yielded program format changes as follows:

107.9 FM KGMZ - Oldies 50s 60s & 70s (no change)

650 AM - Now KRTR AM - Easy Listening Favorites

940 AM - Call letters pending; Traditional Hawaiian Music.

870 AM - KAIM: switches format to country music.

1170 AM - KHCM: call letters moved from 940 AM along with "Hawaii's Country Music" format.

The 2 country stations are still with Salem, each broadcasting a separate country music program.

Most station personnel at Oldies 107.9 FM moved to Salem according to Erika's article.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Salem & Cox Station Swap completed

Does this mean Ivan doesn't have to move to the Philippines?
    Last edited by YoungNeil; January 4, 2005, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungNeil

Does this mean Ivan doesn't have to move to the Philippines?
      Yes, that means I don't have to move to the Philippines. Now I can't wait to return to Honolulu. January 10 is the date I return. When I return, I will no doubt listen to KRTR AM 650, and I swear to God I'll appreciate the station. When KUMU AM 1500 switched from Adult Standards to Talk, I was devastated. Now, I'm really happy to hear that Cox put Easy Listening Favorites on AM 650. I'll observe what KRTR AM 650 plays, e.g., instrumentals, adult standards, soft rock, etc. I know when KUMU FM 94.7 was Easy Listening, they played a mix of instrumentals, adult standards, and soft rock. Is KRTR AM 650 like the old KUMU FM 94.7? I'll find out when I return.

Comment

Because KRTR AM 650 is a Cox station, it ought to be streaming live over the Internet like the other Cox stations. Can anyone tell me if/when KRTR AM 650 is streaming so that I can give it a listen before returning to Honolulu? Mahalo nui loa.

Comment

Boy Mel, When it comes to us Country music fans its feast or famine LOL. 1st it was a draught and now not one but two stations to pick from. Amen Salem Radio dudes. I live in Ewa so as I like the Classic stuff. It has a lot of interferance as to the weak signal.But I still put up with it on AM Kaim 870. Where was this kind of music when I was living on the east side for over 30 years. Oh well, I will take it as it comes. Beggars can't be choosers too. LOL. Aloha and Happy New Year to all of you out there on this forum. Even you Kimo55 Not mad no mo brah.

Comment

I think this is the most music we've had on the AM radio dial in recent years.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

FYI, the Hawaiian music station at 940 AM is KKME.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Don't think Cox got the best deal on this bugga... can pick it up in Kailua but not much into town.

Comment

"870 AM - KAIM: switches format to country music."

Classic country music.

My third favorite radio station in town (after the two NPR ones), but I do wish it had a stronger signal.

Comment

KAIM AM's tower is on Molokai. Salem cut the power of that tower from 50,000 to I think 10,000, maybe less watts. Was done to prevent the strong signal from interfering with another Salem station on the mainland at the same frequency. There was a discussion on this at our old message site last year.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

All I can say is that the 1170AM KHCM sucks bigtime on the windward side too. I gotta beleive they gonna lose some listeners over the weak signals issue too. I am lucky that I moved to the west side in June of 2004 and I can still pick up 1170 clear but I would rather listen to country classics. I do get a decent signal from Ewa Beach area but it start to suck when I start to head toward H1. LOL. I guess I can't be choosy as I will take what I can get at this point. It would have been nice though if KHCM or KAIM was switched with 107.9. The sound would have been awesome. BigD

Comment

Working...
                      X