Spoilers: Bulletin vs. Advertiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoilers: Bulletin vs. Advertiser

Mahalos, Advertiser, for protecting the Olympic results on your website's front page.

Auwe, Bulletin, for blowing the deal right up front.

Re: Spoilers: Bulletin vs. Advertiser

I was wondering about this. We get home delivery of the Star-Bulletin, and I if I wasn't already keeping up with the Olympics live on the web, I suppose I'd be a bit bummed to see how some U.S. star did before getting to watch it on TV.

Are the same front-page headline spoilers showing up on newsstands? A subscriber to a 'today's news today' afternoon daily pretty much knows what he's getting, but to have your TV viewing spoiled just by walking down S. King Street, that would definitely suck. Why not at least put it below the fold?

This reminds me of what I saw on KITV's morning news last week. They gave a warning before giving the Olympic results so you could turn down your TV... but the news crawl across the bottom of the screen had been reporting the same information most of the hour!

At one point, the anchor said, "...so you might want to turn down the volume if you don't want to know. Oh, and don't read anything down here (pointing) either!"

Comment

Just speaking for myself, it seems strange that someone would want to remain in the dark about newsworthy events. I would want to know if Bryan Clay won a medal or not as soon as possible, and taking a look at a news rack telling me this would say to me that this newspaper is actually reporting news, and placing it in an appropriate place in the paper. To me it's no different than any other news story. It happened, it's big, and it should be displayed as such. But that's just me, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ra-Di-Oh!
        Mahalos, Advertiser, for protecting the Olympic results on your website's front page.
        ???
        The Advertiser continuously updates the Olympic results on their websites front page! They're about halfway down the front page in the Nation/World section, which they note is continually updated throughout the day.
        I don't recall seeing the results on the Star-Bulletin's website. Is it possible you swapped the names by mistake?
        Every news website that I check throughout the day (and I use the CNN site as my home page) has the results. I wasn't thrilled about that at first, but whatcha gonna do? (shrug)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Heh. I completely missed the "website" in the original comment. Don't mind me!

Being a news junkie, like Dick, I'm not going to complain about knowing something sooner. Especially with something like the Olympics in Athens, when you're dealing with an enormous delay before prime time network broadcasts. I mean, even CNN over the air and various newspaper sites on the web are going to "spill the beans" early. Instead of going nuts trying to avoid "spoilers," I'd just develop a greater appreciation of watching the competition itself (rather than just who wins).

Obviously a delay for a sporting event isn't going to hurt as much as a delay for "real" news... hence the frequent practice of warning local news viewers before putting up NFL game scores. Even so, holding stuff back for the East Coast is one thing, but another half a day for us? Forget it.

Besides... ind in Hawaii, "real" news would probably include how local boy Bryan Clay is doing!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            The Advertiser continuously updates the Olympic results on their websites front page! They're about halfway down the front page in the Nation/World section, which they note is continually updated throughout the day.
            I just now (10:20am) checked the Advertiser's website and found a 20-minute-old update (edited here so as not to be a spoiler!):

" X Advances in Long Jump; Z Out"

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
              I just now (10:20am) checked the Advertiser's website and found a 20-minute-old update (edited here so as not to be a spoiler!):

" X Advances in Long Jump; Z Out"

Yes, but you have to scroll down to mid-page to see that. Curious that you would neglect to post that at the TOP of the page, which you see without scrolling, that the Advertiser has a link to a story:

"SPOILER: U.S. Men's Volleyball results."

Hawaii athelete Clay Stanley is on the men's volleyball team, so one might assume that this news might be more sensitive to local readers. Neither X nor Z grew up here (to my limited knowledge), and at any rate that story is buried down below.

It is one of the Bad Things About Hawaii (sorry KGMB) that we have such a huge time difference. A lot of people, including myself, can't even bear to hear the UH Football score before the delayed KFVE telecast.

I am all for hearing the news, but I think pzarquon makes a faulty analogy there. Sports, drama, reality TV... are very different from hearing actual news. Have you ever heard Dash say, "It's Close-Your-Eyes-Time if you don't want to know how many people died in a car bomb explosion in Tel Aviv"? No, because it's a different kind of news, IMSO.

Comment

I am all for hearing the news, but I think pzarquon makes a faulty analogy there. Sports, drama, reality TV... are very different from hearing actual news.
                Actually, we're saying the same thing. I only added that Clay's results might count as "real" news here, exempt from the for-courtesy-only sports/entertainment embargo.

The "SPOILER" headline tag on the Honolulu Advertiser website is an interesting touch. Never noticed it before.

Comment

Yes, but you have to scroll down to mid-page to see that. Curious that you would neglect to post that at the TOP of the page, which you see without scrolling, that the Advertiser has a link to a story:
                  "SPOILER: U.S. Men's Volleyball results."
                  Not curious at all. Please note that my post earlier was made at 10:22am. The Advertiser website spoiler that you refer to wasn't posted on their Breaking News list until 11:54am. Therefore, I couldn't have mentioned it since it didn't appear until an hour and a half later.
                  Not so "curious" now, right?

Comment

Working...
                  X