Burl Burlingame Signing Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burl Burlingame Signing Off?

Burl Burlingame, whose "Honolulu Newspaper War"/"Check6Honolulu" site served as a "low road" (his words!) media-skewering companion to Ian Lind's site, is planning to stop his Gannett bashing next week.
    Feb. 1 is a good time to sign off, being the 124th birthday of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and all... We're still here -- and they're still there -- and a kind of equilibrium has been reached... I also am not going to fill up the firebox with daily updates on my pets, adorable as they are... Also, the folks in charge at the Star-Bulletin prefer that I do editing rather than writing, and they don't much care for this site either.
    I liked his site. Unapologetically biased, gruff yet insightful, and especially during the Michelle Malkin spat, it provided great background for some stuff that fell far under the radar. That said, I'm surprised his bosses merely didn't care for the site all this time... especially given the recent firings and overall skittishness of the media when it comes to blogs and independent publishing. I'm glad his site was around for as long as it was!

Thanks, Burl. It's been a hell of a ride.

I still think we need more "watching the watchers" in this town, biased or not, qualified or not. With a new opening in the world of local media curmudgeons, I'd like to again reiterate my offer to set up anyone who wants to try their hand at blogging. Hey, if you critique the media here on HawaiiThreads.com, why not give it a shot independently?

Re: Burl Burlingame Signing Off?

Ian Lind remarked yesterday:
    If this particular web project has really been set down, I've got to say that I'll be among those who really will miss Burl's biting observations and deft use of the language.
    And Burl post-dates an entry that makes it official:
    In today's print edition of ther Honolulu Star-Bulletin, there is a small but satisfying change. We have returned to the proper volume number that reflects the paper's history as the oldest daily in Hawaii. Today, the paper's birthday, we're Vol. 124, No.1. And the online edition is into Vol. 10 already! And so my work here is done. Time to fade away. Aloha, everybody.
    A hui hou, Burl! End of an e-era. The volume change is a great send-off gift to everyone.

Comment

Working...
    X