X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Waaaaiidamennet...

you say:

b. Juliet: "For thou wilt lie upon the wings of night / Whiter than new snow on a raven's back. / Come, gentle night, come, loving, black-brow'd night" (III.ii)
    I'm accepting two answers here. Simile, because Juliet says "whiter than new snow on a raven's back," and personification, because she says that night has wings and a black brow, which are animate characteristics ascribed to inanimate night.

I say:

b. Zoomorphism - Juliet: "For thou wilt lie upon the wings of night / Whiter than new snow on a raven's back. / Come, gentle night, come, loving, black-brow'd night"
    I say you are incorrect applying personification to the lines given.

Personification is the act of applying human attributes to inanimate objects or abstract ideas.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/personification

American Heritage Dictionary -

1. The act of personifying.
    2. A person or thing typifying a certain quality or idea; an embodiment or exemplification: "He's invisible, a walking personification of the Negative" (Ralph Ellison).
    3. A figure of speech in which inanimate objects or abstractions are endowed with human qualities or are represented as possessing human form, as in Hunger sat shivering on the road or Flowers danced about the lawn. Also called prosopopeia.
    4. Artistic representation of an abstract quality or idea as a person.

Zoomorphism however is the application of animal atributes to abstract ideas or inanimate objects

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Zoomorphism

American Heritage Dictionary -

1. Attribution of animal characteristics or qualities to a god.
    2. Use of animal forms in symbolism, literature, or graphic representation.

There's more of animal than of person in those stanzas.

As for the g. version of the Mercutio/Romeo exchange, I picked Irony 'cause there wasn't something that related closely enough to 'snarkism'. Ya read the whole scene, keeping in mind that these are teenagers crashing a party looking for a good time...then one of em goes all moony. Merc is being a bit snarky to Romeo with the whole 'C'mon bud...get a grip, grab yer nads and DO SOMETHING!' speech.

Socratic-irony is closest but I didn't know how fine you wanted to split the hairs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
      Good LORD, you graduated in 1960??? I NEVER would have guessed.
      No, Silly!!! I graduated in 1962! That's better, isn't it?!!! High school was from 1958-1962 and, iirc, English was a requirement every year. That was still before Shakespeare was born...I think! I remember so very, very little of high school English which is very, very apparent in my posts! I write like I talk.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        No, Silly!!! I graduated in 1962! That's better, isn't it?!!! High school was from 1958-1962 and, iirc, English was a requirement every year. That was still before Shakespeare was born...I think! I remember so very, very little of high school English which is very, very apparent in my posts! I write like I talk.

I STILL would never have guessed. Take it as a great compliment and move on!

I think Shakespeare was born during my time, but he hadn't learned to write yet.

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I think Shakespeare was born during my time, but he hadn't learned to write yet.
          The monkeys existed, the typewriter had just been invented, but no one had yet put the two together.

Comment

I STILL would never have guessed. Take it as a great compliment and move on!

Blaine
            *elegantly sips tea*

Truly thou art of a lower age than thy suggests (of which thy surely declares in jest). I presume thou hath most true ability to offer thine prediction of this trivia contest? Whilst a wench who doth claim kinship amongst sheep leads this competition, I implore mine HT brethren to refrain from declaring premature defeat. A fortnight and one half of this most entertaining and noble competition remain! Crushed by her most wicked hoof, most vile use of Google we shall naught!
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              *elegantly sips tea*

Truly thou art of a lower age than thy suggests (of which thy surely declares in jest). I presume thou hath most true ability to offer thine prediction of this trivia contest? Whilst a wench who doth claim kinship amongst sheep leads this competition, I implore mine HT brethren to refrain from declaring premature defeat. A fortnight and one half of this most entertaining and noble competition remain! Crushed by her most wicked hoof, most vile use of Google we shall naught!

*smacking my mouth full of pizza and sipping on a brewsky*

In the infamous words of Schwartz from A Chrsitmas Story "I triple dog dare you" to beat me. You heard me right - not double dare, not triple dare, but triple dog dare!

*burp*
              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post

In the infamous words of Schwartz from A Chrsitmas Story "I triple dog dare you" to beat me. You heard me right - not double dare, not triple dare, but triple dog dare!

*burp*
                Alas! The most foul, most uncouth wench dares show herself!
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

h. Prince: "If ever you disturb our streets again, / Your lives shall pay the forfeit of the peace." (I.i)

Uhhhhhhhh.....I think my answer fits. It is, after all, 1. a Literary Device and 2. it fits the description.

Iambic pentameter: A poetic meter wherein each line contains ten syllables, as five repetitions of a two-syllable pattern in which the pronunciation emphasis is on the second syllable.

You must ask yourself if the answer is a fit. If so, then you must acquit! Oh, wait, that's a different case....

I stand by my answer! Iambic Pentameter! Do I get the 1/4 point? I reeeeaaaly need it!
                  So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

*burp*
                    How come you so nice to him? He gets a triple dog dare and I'm left sucking on a goat???

Comment

... sipping on a brewsky*

... A Chrsitmas Story
                      Keep sippin', dear, keep sippin. For about three more days - start at lunch, and keep going until, oh...I dunno...say, Midnight, your local time? (Maybe an increase in typos will be the only thing that allows me to take the lead.)

Comment

How come you so nice to him? He gets a triple dog dare and I'm left sucking on a goat???
                        'Cause you kin....

and she ain't gots nuffin else.
                        *snicker*

Comment

Uhhhhhhhh.....I think my answer fits. It is, after all, 1. a Literary Device and 2. it fits the description.

Iambic pentameter: A poetic meter wherein each line contains ten syllables, as five repetitions of a two-syllable pattern in which the pronunciation emphasis is on the second syllable.

You must ask yourself if the answer is a fit. If so, then you must acquit! Oh, wait, that's a different case....

I stand by my answer! Iambic Pentameter! Do I get the 1/4 point? I reeeeaaaly need it!
                          I just realized... they were all iambic pentameter! I put "iambic pentameter" down for question 1f/1g... so if you get that 1/4 point, I better get it too! 'Cause I reallllly realllly need it!

Comment

Originally posted by liberty View Post
                            I just realized... they were all iambic pentameter! I put "iambic pentameter" down for question 1f/1g... so if you get that 1/4 point, I better get it too! 'Cause I reallllly realllly need it!
                            Forget it. She wasn't going to get it for precisely the reason you provide, and neither will you!

I knew when I wrote the questions that someone was going to use that as an answer. The entire play is written in blank verse, which is unrhymed iambic pentameter. You don't get credit for a duh answer!
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              [...]You don't get credit for a duh answer!
                              Ummm...can I get credit for being too old to remember?!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Ummm...can I get credit for being too old to remember?!
                                HEY, YEAH!!! ME, TOO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X