Oprah's House in Hana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oprah's House in Hana

Take a look at the interior decorating Oprah had done on her new house in Hana. It is completely devoid of anything from Hawaii--no koa wood, no tropical prints, nothing. Instead, it's totally southern contemporary. Very weird. Why build a "tropical getaway" that looks like an elegant Mississippi farmhouse?
    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
    - Anna Quindlen

Re: Oprah's House in Hana

Well, here's an explaination:

At first, Ellie and her team researched Hawaiian fabrics and antiques, thinking that the rooms should reflect the locale. But that wasn't what Oprah had in mind. "They came with pineapple doodads and big flower things. They had everything but a hula skirt," she recalls. "I said, 'Whoa! If I want to see Hawaii, I'll just walk out my door.'"

The interior decorator went back to her drawing board, and by the next time they all met, Oprah knew Ellie was on the right track—especially when Ellie, a former folk-art curator, suggested they go shopping for the kind of extraordinary antiques that are part of the American heritage.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

"I said, 'Whoa! If I want to see Hawaii, I'll just walk out my door.'"

She considers her house a tropical getaway. It's more like the house is a getaway from the tropics.
      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I actually like it.

I wouldn't want my house covered with pineapple, grass skirt, and palm tree doodads either.

Why does her house have to reflect its locale? Are there pictures of her other Hawai`i properties?
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I think it's important that a building reflect the land for which it sits on. Remember the old Ranch House in Aina Haina and what it became...Rockchilds with the garrish neon lights.

I think pastel rattan furniture would have looked right at home there, but then again I guess Oprah wants to remember those good old plantation days of her ancestors. Hmmm maybe a little less paint and we got The Color Purple all over again.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

"They came with pineapple doodads and big flower things. They had everything but a hula skirt," she recalls.
            Sounds like her interior decorator had absolutely no idea what qualifies as contemporary, let alone traditional, Hawaii decor. How hard could it have been to pick up a copy of Hawaii Home & Remodeling?

Pineapple doodads, big flower things, and a hula skirt? Sheesh. "Hawaiian style" in a Nebraska frat house luau way, maybe.

Comment

I actually like it. Even though it does not have any signs of Hawaiian decorations in it, it has an essence of an Oriental house on the outside. The roof seems like it is based on a pagoda roof and it has lots of doors and a porch that can pass as a lanai.

But what do I know, I do not live in Hawaii but only grew up in the Philippines.

Comment

I just saw online photos of the Hana house today. It's lovely. The exterior fits the land. The interior is so tasteful altho' I'm one for 'when in Rome, decorate as the Romans do"! Hence, my pending little grass shack!

Comment

Stupid Oprah! Doesn't she know she's supposed to decorate her house exactly the same way as everyone else? How dare she break away from the pack and shun the Hawaiian-made-in-China knick-knacks and doo-dads! Selfish bitch, wanting HER house decorated HER way.

In fact, she shouldn't even have a house. She should be really "traditional Hawaiian" with her decor. Just tear it all down and throw up some palm fronds for shelter. And she shouldn't fly to Hawaii next time she comes, either. Traditional Hawaiians didn't have airplanes. The arrogance of that woman! She should have to pay a higher property tax rate than everyone else, too. Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                    Stupid Oprah! Doesn't she know she's supposed to decorate her house exactly the same way as everyone else?[...]
                    Down, girl...down!

Comment

Of course Oprah can design her home any way she likes. And it is a nice house. She could've also made her living room look like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise. Or made her bathroom into a rainforest cave. Or gone with a whole Strawberry Shortcake theme.

What irked me, at least, was the implication was that Hawaiian decor was "Hawaiian-made-in-China knick-knacks and doo-dads." That she asked a professional decorator for an idea of what might reflect Hawaii, and got grass skirts, lava lamps, and dashboard hula dolls. Obviously, she asked someone who also thinks pineapple makes a Hawaiian pizza and that Don Ho represents Hawaiian music.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                        Down, girl...down!
                        Just having fun! I think it's hilarious that someone would be bothered by someone else's decor, whoever or wherever it is. The implication is that everyone who owns a house in Hawaii has to decorate it "Hawaiian style." I guess everyone in the Pacific Northwest has to throw Northwest Coast tribal stuff around their houses. And if you live in Alaska, you have to have simulated blocks of ice instead of windows. Arizonans must incorporate adobe and cactus. And so on.

One of the things that is so appealing about Hawaii is its incorporation of various immigrant styles. Oprah has brought her personal style and added it to her Hawaii home. I think it's nice.
                        Last edited by MadAzza; July 13, 2006, 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Sorry Folks, but this is not a house in HANA....

Oprah also owns land on the slopes of Mt. Haleakala. Oprah bought land from the up-country area of Maui in the Kula, Ulupalakua ranch areas.

Sorry, but the photo is not in Hana............

OGGBOY
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                            Sorry Folks, but this is not a house in HANA....

Oprah also owns land on the slopes of Mt. Haleakala. Oprah bought land from the up-country area of Maui in the Kula, Ulupalakua ranch areas.

Sorry, but the photo is not in Hana............

OGGBOY
                            Thanks for pointing that out, Oggboy...I didn't think she was planning to put any houses on her Hana property, but I wasn't sure.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

To set the record straight, OW's Maui home is in Kula, the structure was built on an exsisting structure, the former Thompson Ranch. She will not be developing any Hana property.

As for decore, I'm sure we all have our own likes and dislikes, to respect our differences is divine.

Mahalo

Comment

Working...
                              X