HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

Every day until the end of March, in replies to THIS thread, I'm going to post one, two, or three trivia questions in categories ranging from pop culture to horticulture. If you want to participate, answer the questions in PRIVATE MAIL (click the "private messages" link in the upper-right corner of your screen, under the welcome message) before the NEXT 9:00 p.m. I'll post answers and running scores every day.

This is strictly for fun, but I do have a few nice (little) prizes for the first-, second-, and third-place winners, plus bonus prizes for the loser who submits the most creative answers and the loser who participates most consistently.

Answers are up for debate--if you disagree with my version of the correct answer, we'll open it up for discussion and then I'll rule in the fairest way I can. Remember, it's just for fun! And trust me, the prizes are not worth getting worked up about! They're nice, but they're not THAT nice!

I have run little games like this on bulletin boards, on mailing lists, and on Saimin (r.i.p.), and every time I've done it, someone messes things up and posts his or her answers in PUBLIC. Please, don't do this! Send me your answers in private mail.

So, two quick rules about that: first, if you p/mail me your answers and then change your mind before 9:00 in the evening, I'll accept your most recent submission. Second, if someone posts answers in public, the rules still apply--everyone who submits correct answers in p/mail, even after the public post, will get credit.

Okay. Let the games begin. First questions appear in the next reply.
    Last edited by scrivener; March 3, 2005, 09:04 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

question 1
    category: tubular
    In what television series was there an episode where a main character dates a very muscular man whose best friends are named bull, moose, and ox?

question 2
    category: a circle of life
    What significant historical figure was (probably) born in April on the same date on which he died decades later?

question 3
    category: rest in peace
    By what unexpected hit song was Michael Qseng's "Morning Madness Shuffle" inspired?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 4.

ps: I'm starting with what I think are pretty tough questions. For the first week, expect the questions to range from really easy to really hard. I need to gauge the brain-power in the room!
    Last edited by scrivener; March 3, 2005, 09:09 PM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Day One Answers
      question 1
      category: tubular
      In what television series was there an episode where a main character dates a very muscular man whose best friends are named bull, moose, and ox?

I knew this one was going to be tough. The correct answer is Alice, that Linda-Lavin-starring sitcom based in a diner in Phoenix and based on Martin Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. The character in question was Jolene (who, I believe, was Flo's replacement). Her admirer's best friends were Ox, Bull, Moose, and Aardvark.

Nobody got this one right. Most guesses were of 50s TV shows, interestingly.

question 2
      category: a circle of life
      What significant historical figure was (probably) born in April on the same date on which he died decades later?

William Shakespeare was (probably) born on April 23, 1564, and died on April 23, 1616.

Interesting submitted guess: Jesus.

Nobody got this one right.

question 3
      category: rest in peace
      By what unexpected hit song was Michael Qseng's "Morning Madness Shuffle" inspired?

"Morning Madness Shuffle," which was a sort-of Welcome to Our Cool Show song, featured vocals sung by Michael Qseng, Danielle Tucker, Blanche DuBois, John Berger, and the rest of the regulars. It was directly inspired by a similar song by the Chicago Bears of 1985, who scored a huge hit, thanks to William "The Refrigerator" Perry, called "SuperBowl Shuffle." Nobody got this one right, either.

Okay. The questions were a bit tough. I'll tone it down a little, but will still include the occasional difficult question, just 'cause it's fun. New questions in next post.
      Last edited by scrivener; March 4, 2005, 09:08 PM.
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 2, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 5.

question 1
        category: words
        As specifically as possible, what do the words mimsy, chortle, and galumph have in common? Half a point for an obvious answer, full point for the specific answer I'm really looking for. (Hint: Why these words and not outgrabe as well?)

question 2
        category: cinema
        What film's dramatis personae includes a fish named Figaro?

question 3
        category: computers
        What apparently-doomed-from-the-start computer was so ill-fated it actually ran an operating system called "SOS?"

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 5.
        Last edited by scrivener; March 4, 2005, 09:03 PM.
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 2.
          question 1
          category: words
          As specifically as possible, what do the words mimsy, chortle, and galumph have in common? Half a point for an obvious answer, full point for the specific answer I'm really looking for.

These are all words that have found their way into the English language (even gaining inclusion in the Oxford English Dictionary) after being invented by Lewis Carrol and appearing in his poem, "Jabberwocky." Lesser dictionaries will give "probably a combination of ..." in their etymologies, but smarter dictionaries will say, "Coined by Lewis Carrol."

question 2
          category: cinema
          What film's dramatis personae includes a fish named Figaro?

Pinocchio

question 3
          category: computers
          What apparently-doomed-from-the-start computer was so ill-fated it actually ran an operating system called "SOS?"

Many people blame Steve Jobs for the short, unappreciated life of the Apple /// home computer, but I ask what anyone could expect from a machine whose very operating system is a cry for help.

Thanks for the many submissions; sadly, nobody got correct answers. Keep trying! New questions in the next post.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I immediately recognized Jabberwocky, but your "hint" threw me off. I was trying to imagine some other source for them, since I knew "outgrabe" was from that poem.

The local alternative student weekly in Tucson when I was at the U of A was called "The Frumious Bandersnatch."
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 3, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 6.

question 1
              category: Hawaii
              What do the building that hosts the Merrie Monarch Festival and the primary arts & sciences classroom building at the University of Hawaii at Hilo have in common? (besides both being in Hilo!)

question 2
              category: science
              What's missing from this list?
              • helium
              • neon
              • argon
              • xenon
              • radon

question 3
              category: politics
              What university has graduated more future U.S. Presidents than any other?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 6.
              Last edited by scrivener; March 5, 2005, 08:39 PM.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                I immediately recognized Jabberwocky, but your "hint" threw me off. I was trying to imagine some other source for them, since I knew "outgrabe" was from that poem.
                Sorry about that. I provided that as contrast, since "outgrabe" is not one of the words in the poem that made it as a word in real life.

It has got to be the most quotable poem ever, as evidenced by the "Frumious Bandersnatch." I often express joy by saying, "Oh, frabjous day, callooh callay!"
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Mad Magazine did a wonderful parody of it back in the 60s; I don't think it's online, unfortunately. It replaced many of the nonsense words with consumer products:

"Twas Brillo, and the something something
                  Did Procter/Gamble in the something..."

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 3, followed by the current standings.
                    question 1
                    category: Hawaii
                    What do the building that hosts the Merrie Monarch Festival and the primary arts & sciences classroom building at the University of Hawaii at Hilo have in common? (besides both being in Hilo!)

They are both named after Edith Kanakaole. The Merrie Monarch is held in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium (a really cool not-quite-indoors-not-quite-outdoors venue) and most UH-Hilo arts & science classes are held in Edith Kanakaole Hall. Congratulations to Helen and EastCoastTropics for getting this one right.

question 2
                    category: science
                    What's missing from this list?
                    • helium
                    • neon
                    • argon
                    • xenon
                    • radon

Congratulations to Helen, Glen Miyashiro, and EastCoastTropics for correctly identifying KRYPTON as the missing noble gas.

question 3
                    category: politics
                    What university has graduated more future U.S. Presidents than any other?

John Adam, John Quincy Adams, Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, and John Kennedy earned undergraduate degrees from Harvard. Congratulations to Helen and EastCoastTropics.

Our Current Standings:
                    3: Helen, EastCoastTropics
                    1: Glen Miyashiro

Keep trying, everyone else. There's still a lot of game left. New questions in the next post.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 4, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 7.
                      Today, an all-Hawaii list of questions.

question 1
                      category: neighborhoods
                      What Oahu town do you live in if your house is in Robinson Heights?

question 2
                      category: music
                      In 1985, the late Stevie Ray Vaughn performed in concert at Aloha Stadium. Who were the other two musical acts on the bill?

question 3
                      category: architecture
                      A Best Buy is going up in the space that once housed Tony Honda Pearlridge, which occupied a building that was once the old Primo Brewery. What was historically significant about this structure?

Don't be shy! Send in your guesses!
                      Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 7.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Remembered it:

"Twas Brillo, and the Ivory Soap
                        Did Procter/Gamble in the Glade..."

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 4.
                          question 1
                          category: neighborhoods
                          What Oahu town do you live in if your house is in Robinson Heights?

That would be historic Waipahu. Congratulations to EastCoastTropics and Surfingfarmboy for their correct responses. Surfingfarmboy adds, "I've been lost in Robinson Heights many times looking for the Wal-Mart!" It's nice to see that his poor sense of direction has paid off at least in this very small way! This was a fun question--expect a few more like it before the end of the month.

question 2
                          In 1985, the late Stevie Ray Vaughn performed in concert at Aloha Stadium. Who were the other two musical acts on the bill?

Props to Surfingfarmboy for correctly remembering that Stevie Ray Vaughn shared the bill with Bryan Adams and the Police. Why don't they have shows like this anymore? Says EastCoastTropics: "Who's Stevie Ray Vaughn?" I hereby sentence him to downloading from iTunes "Pride and Joy," one of the greatest electric-blues-rock songs ever.

question 3
                          category: architecture
                          A Best Buy is going up in the space that once housed Tony Honda Pearlridge, which occupied a building that was once the old Primo Brewery. What was historically significant about this structure?

How quickly we forget! When it was erected, the building that housed the Primo Brewery was the biggest building in Hawaii. Kinda interesting when you think about it--I don't think it was taller than two stories. Nobody remembered this bit of trivia. However, these not-so-historically-significant items were suggested (I didn't check the facts, so if they were just wild guesses, let us know, huh?): EastCoastTropics says it was built by the Schlitz Brewing Company. Surfingfarmboy says the brewery was made of bricks shipped to Hawaii from the mainland...and was designed by New York architects.

Current Standings:
                          4: EastCoastTropics
                          3: Helen
                          2: Surfingfarmboy

Remember, there are (small, but nice) prizes for consistent participation and for creative or humorous answers, so keep trying, everyone! New questions in the next post.
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 5, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 8.

question 1
                            Eminem's rap group has six members, so why is it called the D12?

question 2
                            category: folklore
                            According to superstition, where is it considered very bad luck to open a can with bottom-end up?

question 3
                            category: art
                            Who painted the painting attached to this post?

These might be a little tough, but don't be shy! Send in your guesses!
                            Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 8.
                            Attached Files
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 5!
                              question 1
                              Eminem's rap group has six members, so why is it called the D12?

The D is for Detroit (also for Dirty), and the 12 is for the six rappers plus their alter-egos. You know how Eminem has that Slim Shady alter-ego? The others in the group have them, too.

Congratulations to EastCoastTropics for knowing that one! What, ECT? You down wit' da Dee-One-Two? East Side Tropics in da mix, yeeeeeeeeeah boyeeee!

I don't know what Helen's answer means, but it's great! "D6 is already used up by the Klingons." Hey, for all I know that might be right. Em looks like he might be a closeted Trekker, what?

question 2
                              category: folklore
                              According to superstition, where is it considered very bad luck to open a can with bottom-end up?

It seems that everyone who answered this read the question wrong. The question was not why it's considered bad luck, but where, and the answer is on a ship or boat. Sailors, who are maybe the most superstitious people in the world, believe that opening a can bottom-end-up confuses the boat and it tries to flip over in order to set things right.

Congratulations to EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, and Helen not for getting the answer right but for cracking me up with their responses.

Helen: "In the kitchen." Hey, at least Helen understood the question! Although I'd think the bad luck would come when one opened a can in the laundry room, really.

EastCoastTropics: "So the bad luck doesn't run out first." I'm guessing ECT was a philosophy major in college.

Surfingfarmboy: "...in the past, when hygiene wasn't as strict as was today, during the canning process, any food that was rotten would usually rise to the surface...it was quite evident when one opened a can, right-side up, with rotten food on top...even so, the food on the bottom of the can was just as rancid, but it wasn't as evident..tragic results often occured from food poisoning (and deaths) that was/were suffered as a result of those who ate this rancid, yet not so obviously rancid food, (like the rancid food that normally floated to the top of an right-side up unopened can), when they consumed food from a can that was opened bottom side up."

Whew. I don't know how true that is, but as you know, many of our superstitions, especially those related to food, had some basis in practical sense. Thanks for the great answers, people!

question 3
                              category: art
                              Who painted the painting attached to this post?

Doggone it! I forgot to change the file-name, and don't think I don't know, Surfingfarmboy, how you got the answer! Yes, SFB nailed it (smugly!), correctly identifying the painting as "Le Mont Sainte-Victoire vu de la carriere Bibemus" by Paul Cezanne. Isn't it a lovely painting? Look at those colors! Picasso admitted once that Cezanne was his "one and only master...the father of us all," and you can see the influence first in those color choices.

Okay. Here are the current scores:
                              5: EastCoastTropics
                              3: Helen, Surfingfarmboy

New questions in the next post!
                              Last edited by scrivener; March 8, 2005, 09:47 PM.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X