Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Robert Flowers

Hi,
    Does anyone here know someone who has used this doctor? (He is a plastic surgeon in Honolulu)
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by konajo; September 30, 2004, 04:52 AM.

Re: Dr. Robert Flowers

I used to produce his radio show on KHVH and KGU. He and Susan are really nice people. Susan is the voice behind those commercials you hear and see on radio and TV. They are eclectic (Dr. Flowers is an artist and poet) so their demeanor is unlike your average person.

Both of them are in the spotlight quite a bit, as so some people think critically of them, but I know them more personally and have no problems.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your post. I live on the mainland, so I'm not familiar with his shows. However, I've heard that he's a good surgeon to go to for Asian double eyelid surgery. But, before I make all the arrangements, I wanted to make sure that he is indeed good. Have you heard anything about the work he has done? Thanks again.

Comment

yes I have. As you said he does excellent work with Asian eyes. His techniques are a bit different than most but his results are far better and natural than most others. He always talked about the eyes, I guess because it's the most prominant feature on the face next to the nose (which he also does...rhinoplasty).

He makes a good point that a good plastic surgeon should have a good command of artistry. His artistic discipline was sculpting so that coupled with his medical profession work together well.

When you call him drop him my name: Craig Watanabe, former show producer. I also do the voice over for his intro. By the way Susan is his wife and also a good friend of mine.

Comment

Thank you very much, Craig. It looks like I'll be leaning towards Flowers to do my surgery. I'm still a bit nervous as I have not personally met him. However, he seems to have a really good reputation. Aloha--Jo

Comment

Dr. Flowers' bedside manners are impeccable. One thing though because he is an artist, he will tell you what would look good for you. He has refused work because what the patient wanted and what he felt was correct were different. In order for him to do a good job he has to agree with the operation.

His work is great, that's why he's one of the best in the world. He gives seminars worldwide on his procedures and is highly respected in that field. He also corrects the work that other plastic surgeons have done from patients who were dissatisfied.

Comment

His wife has an impossibly sexy voice. I recorded a bunch of voice-over tracks with her a bunch of years ago, and let me just say that she is a walking testament to Dr. Flowers' masterful handiwork. I can also attest to her being very nice and down to earth.

Comment

"As you said he does excellent work with Asian eyes."

There was an encouraging report on NPR this week which said Asians are beginning to understand that *looking* Asian is an asset, not a liability.

(Sorry about that, Dr. Flowers)

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
                  His wife has an impossibly sexy voice. I recorded a bunch of voice-over tracks with her a bunch of years ago, and let me just say that she is a walking testament to Dr. Flowers' masterful handiwork. I can also attest to her being very nice and down to earth.

Believe it or not Susan has very little plastic surgery done on her. I've known her for almost 20-years now and her beauty is her birthright.

Comment

Hey Craig,

I found out Dr. Flowers is getting up there in age (70 ys old). Have you seen him lately? Is he pretty healthy and still doing good work (as far as you know) at his age???

Thanks soo much for all your info. I really appreciate it!

Comment

he's in great shape being very active. I'm 44 and I think he could out run me. Susan keeps his heart in excellent shape if you know what I mean.

His mind is sharp, his reflex is quick (he plays tennis), his overall health I believe to be in excellent condition. He is a soft spoken man with a passion for his work...as an artist should be.

Comment

Hi Craig,

Okay, I did it. I booked my airline ticket and finally decided to go with Dr. Flowers (going right after the new year). There's a little part of me that is still worried if I made the right decision, but from what I hear he's really good. I think one of the reasons why I'm a little worried is because I have not met him personally. Also because I am going according to other people's (whom I also don't know) impressions of him.

Anyways, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to give me your input about Dr. Flowers. It really helped to hear what you had to say about him.

Comment

I don't think you'll regret your decision. It's perfectly normal for one to feel apprehension when doing any elective surgery on oneself not to mention going on recommendations from total strangers.

Dr. Flowers is eclectic so just be aware of that in your conversations with the man. If you have the opportunity to speak with Susan (his wife) she will put your doubts (if any) to rest. Dr. Flowers will be brutally honest with you regarding techniques that he pioneered versus the cookie-cutter methods done by others. He has lectured at symposiums around the world regarding his work. He is good. He will also tell you if your suggestions on what you'd like to do will work for you.

He has done virtually every race and will look at your features to determine what should stay intact and what could be enhanced. He has even declined to do work because of differences of opinion. As an artist he refuses to turn a good thing into something of lesser desire. He has a passion for his work and for the many years (decades) I've known him and Susan, he still maintains that passion.

Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress!

Comment

Hi Craig,

I was on a plastic surgery board a few minutes ago looking for recommendations for pre-op/post-op healing aids and came across a girl who posted a message about Flowers. She lives in Hawaii and said that she spoke to several people that said to stay AWAY from Flowers. Now, I'm worried again. It worries me because she was looking for a surgeon to do the same type of surgery and she lives in Hawaii. You know what they say, everyone knows everyone in Hawaii... And, to me Hawaii people are very trustworthy (guess it's because my parents are both from Hawaii and we have a large community here who are from Hawaii). Anyways, what are your thoughts on this?? Have you heard or actually seen people who had surgery done by him recently that look good??

Thanks so much for your support

Comment

Any time someone elects to undergo aesthetic surgery, the outcome is always very subjective. It could very well be that the person who groused about her outcome was disappointed with the final result (i.e., her appearance) even though technically the plastic surgeon did his job well. These are the kinds of cases that end up in court and usually get thrown out of court because while the plastic surgeon can pretty accurately predict what you're going to look like post-operation, your body may not react in the same way as others. That's why they have you sign a disclaimer and waiver whenever you undergo any kind of surgery. As long as the doctors tell you about the risks, then you should be prepared for the possible consequences.

A lot of times the patients go in with too high expectations of what the outcome will be, and those are the patients who complain about bad results. If out of 100 satisfied customers you hear from one person who is unhappy, then my guess is that the doctor is an excellent one. And in this case, since Craig knows the doctor and his wife on a professional and personal level, I would trust his judgement.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; December 11, 2004, 07:41 AM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X