Norm Chow hired as new UH football coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norm Chow hired as new UH football coach

It's official, according to this Breaking News story. Norm Chow is the choice, but details still have to be worked out and a contract signed.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Norm Chow hired as new UH football coach

The contract has been signed, according to this Breaking News story, which includes this:

(...)
    Norm Chow signed a five-year contract today worth an annual base salary of $550,000 to become the next head football coach for the University of Hawaii.
    Chow could earn bonuses for bowl appearances, bowl victories, coaching honors, national rankings and nationally televised victories.
    Chow is scheduled to appear at a press conference and reception Thursday at 3 p.m. at the Stan Sheriff Center.
    (...)

Comment

It'll be interesting to see if Chow retains any current coaches, or if newcomers will have to accept a similarly 2/3 reduced pay rate.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I don't pay much attention to coaches salaries. Have previous UH coaches received bonuses for bowl appearances, bowl victories, coaching honors, national rankings and nationally televised victories? It kinda seems logical for a lower (not that $550K is the poverty level!) base salary augmented by performance bonuses. Just curious...

Comment

I'm curious to know if Chow was at USC during the events that caused Reggie Bush to lose his Heisman Trophy. Anyone have any info on that?
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

For tutusue - yes, most if not all coaches' contracts at UH include incentives for winning seasons, post-season appearances and performance, etc. Maybe there should also be bonuses for graduation rates!

Also, UH promoting "Chow Time!" How about "Time for Chow Fun!"
            Last edited by Kimo; December 26, 2011, 07:13 AM. Reason: added material

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
              I'm curious to know if Chow was at USC during the events that caused Reggie Bush to lose his Heisman Trophy. Anyone have any info on that?
              I think he was there only during Bush's freshman year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                Also, UH promoting "Chow Time!"
                BTW, the Chow Time t-shirts that have been all the rage this holiday shopping season are not official UH merchandise. They're being sold by butigroove, the same store that made a mint on the Obama shirts 3 years ago.

While butigroove has been busy as beavers filling orders, the Rainbowtique website still has no Norm Chow products. Seems like the UH sports marketing folks have allowed a rival retail outlet to steal the thunder and $$$$ from the Chow hiring.

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
                I think he was there only during Bush's freshman year.
                Chow was at USC while Bush was a sophomore too. So far, Chow has not been implicated with the star player receiving improper benefits.

Interestingly, UH men's basketball coach Gib Arnold was on the USC staff during the time that O.J. Mayo supposedly received improper benefits as well.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  It kinda seems logical for a lower (not that $550K is the poverty level!) base salary augmented by performance bonuses. Just curious...
                  There's the following from today's Breaking News item:

New University of Hawaii football coach Norm Chow will be eligible for a $75,000 bonus if season ticket sales exceed 25,000 and a $25,000 to $40,000 bonus for each victory on national television under terms of his contract.
                  In addition, Chow can receive $25,000 if the Warriors appear in a non-Bowl Championship Series bowl or $100,000 for a BCS bowl.
                  The clauses were examples of the bonus provisions contained in a copy of his contract released to the Star-Advertiser today under the state's open records act.
                  Chow's contract began Jan. 1 and runs through Dec. 31, 2016.
                  (...)

Comment

GO ChowBows!

Comment

Tomey and Lumpkin are out, leaving only Tuioti and Rolo from the Mac era, for now...

Comment

and according to the news reports .............they are bein interviewed "soon". seems like Chow is just cleaning house. you can't really blame him for wanting to bring in his own guys.
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                          and according to the news reports they are bein interviewed "soon". seems like Chow is just cleaning house. you can't really blame him for wanting to bring in his own guys.
                          Jeez, if the new crew is actually better than what's leaving, individually/collectively it'll be quite interesting. Next mission, keep the local talent. We just lost at least one keeper, to Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                            It'll be interesting to see if Chow retains any current coaches
                            Looks like you got your wish, Ron.

WARRIOR FOOTBALL
                            Chow says Tuioti to stay on coaching staff

By Stephen Tsai
                            POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jan 09, 2012

Chow had never worked with Tuioti, but was impressed after telephone conversations.

Chow said Tuioti received strong recommendations.

“He wants to learn,” Chow said. “He works hard.”

Tuioti has been an active recruiter, landing cornerback Mike Edwards, safety John Hardy-Tuliau, and defensive ends Craig Cofer and Tavita Woodard.

Tuioti has been helpful in acclimating newly hired assistant coaches Phil Rauscher and Lewis Powell.

Chow said he has not decided which position Tuioti will coach. Powell will coach the defensive linemen, and Rauscher will coach the tight ends and assist with the offensive linemen.

Chow said he is close to finalizing his coaching staff.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

It wasn't a wish of mine to keep him, unless he was indespensible compared to anyone else for the staff. If he was so much better than any that have been dismissed or could have been acquired, then why does he have to 'learn' or there be any indecision as to what position he'll assume? This puts a crimp in my confidence for improvement over what we had last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X