R.I.P. Duke Bainum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Duke Bainum

Just hours after Ian Lind announced that he was going to work for Duke, there's this breaking news:

Council member Duke Bainum dies

Honolulu City Council member Duke Bainum has died.
    An e-mail from Bainum's staff this morning said, "We are deeply saddened to announce that Councilmember Duke Bainum passed away last night at approximately 11 p.m. from complications due to an aneurysm.
    "He was 56 years old and is survived by his wife Jennifer, and two sons, Z and Kona."
    The e-mail asked that media and well-wishers respect the family's privacy and that information on a memorial service will be coming.
    Council Chairman Todd Apo, who confirmed Bainum's passing earlier this morning, said,
    "We are stunned and feel for his family."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: R.I.P. Duke Bainum

Wow - that's a shocker.

Much aloha to his family.

Comment

Wow, this is a shocker.

Let me just say that no matter what anyone may have thought of Dr. Bainum as a politician, he was a very generous person with his time and resources. Had the pleasure of meeting him 10 years ago at a fundraiser/silent auction at Queen's. My sympathy and condolences to his family and many friends.

Needless to say, this will have tremendous repercussions, both on the City Council and probably, on the mayor's race. With the Mufster leaning towards a run for Washington Place next year, it appears quite likely that he won't serve out his term as mayor. With Bainum's passing, me thinks that Managing Director Kirk Caldwell is now the clear favorite to succeed Hannemann in a 2010 runoff.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The Advertiser has already gone to discussion of a special election within 60 days (as happened in the case of Barbara Marshall) - and wouldn't it be perverse if Ann Kobayashi ran for and returned to her former seat? Gawd . . .

Comment

I woke up to the news on Twitter.com.

Rest in Peace Duke.

Condolences to the Bainum Ohana.

Lynn Vasquez-Dela Cerna and Ohana
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Damn, damn, damn.

Sincere condolences to Duke's family.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              no matter what anyone may have thought of Dr. Bainum as a politician, he was a very generous person with his time and resources. Had the pleasure of meeting him 10 years ago at a fundraiser/silent auction at Queen's. My sympathy and condolences to his family and many friends.

Needless to say, this will have tremendous repercussions, both on the City Council and probably, on the mayor's race. With the Mufster leaning towards a run for Washington Place next year, it appears quite likely that he won't serve out his term as mayor. With Bainum's passing, me thinks that Managing Director Kirk Caldwell is now the clear favorite to succeed Hannemann in a 2010 runoff.
              Agreed! While I didn’t vote for Duke Bainum, it is sad to see someone so young and with a young family check out so suddenly. My understanding is he gave free flu shots to residents in the community. My condolences to the Bainums.

As for Mufi, I think he’s making a monumental mistake. And though I predicted he would choose the Governor’s race over the U.S. House, I did agree with Frankie that Congress would have been a more logical choice, if he felt called to higher office. Finally, as to the Mayor’s race, Caldwell is a shoo-in unless Ann and Panos decide to tag-team him for Rail debate II.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                The Advertiser has already gone to discussion of a special election within 60 days (as happened in the case of Barbara Marshall) - and wouldn't it be perverse if Ann Kobayashi ran for and returned to her former seat? Gawd . . .
                A few weeks ago, I did run into Ann and talked to her for about 15 minutes. At the time, she said her plan was to run for mayor next year should Mufi resign. If she still has her heart set on being the mayor, then IMO, she should take a pass on running for her old council seat again. I mean, why should Ann spend her time, energy, and $$$$ running for a council seat that she will have to walk away from in only a year, if she wants to throw her hat into the ring in a 2010 run-off for mayor? If she really wants to make a serious bid to become the CEO of Honolulu Inc., she needs to focus on that goal from here on out, rather than be distracted by a lesser campaign.

Besides, Ann was the one chiding Mufi for not committing himself to serving a full term as mayor in the last election. How would it look for her to campaign for and win back her old council seat, and then the following year, resign from the council with 2 years remaining on her term? It would make her look a hypocrite and her opponents would jump on it.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I realize how much I (we) have lost with Duke's passing. The tragedy and the saddness surrounding this occurrence is more than words can say.

I just came back from a cruise and had to be slapped in the face with this upon my return. Sheesh!

Why does this always seem to happen to the good guys?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                    [...] and wouldn't it be perverse if Ann Kobayashi ran for and returned to her former seat? Gawd . . .
                    Kobayashi says she'll run for Bainum's council seat

Comment

Originally posted by Bobinator View Post
                      Why does this always seem to happen to the good guys?
                      Billy Joel said it: "Only the good die young."

On another note, Frankie mentioned:
                      "With the Mufster leaning towards a run for Washington Place next year, it appears quite likely that he won't serve out his term as mayor."

My, wouldn't THAT be fortuitous! Maybe we can get lucky enough and he'll pull an Ed Case on us! (Quit to run, then lose!)

That was my other bumper sticker from years ago:

It's as easy as ABC!
                      Anybody But Case!

I don't think I need to explain the scarlet letters....

It's always sad to lose leaders that are good, leaders that are honest, leaders who think of their constituents first.
                      Sometimes it seems like god is picking out the good ones to bring home.

R.I.P.? Duke's likely making sure the heavenly host all get their daily manna and have nice soft clouds for homes.
                      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                      ~ ~
                      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        As for Mufi, I think he’s making a monumental mistake. And though I predicted he would choose the Governor’s race over the U.S. House, I did agree with Frankie that Congress would have been a more logical choice, if he felt called to higher office.
                        Sure looks like Mufi has his eyes set on the governor's office. And I think I know why.

At this point, Mufi probably thinks he stands a better chance of winning a statewide election (governor's race) rather than a 1st Congressional District election. After the recent spate of tax increases, Mufi's popularity has nosedived rather dramatically with Honolulu voters. So the mayor appears to be staking his future electoral success with the neighbor island vote. Shrewd guy.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                        Finally, as to the Mayor’s race, Caldwell is a shoo-in unless Ann and Panos decide to tag-team him for Rail debate II.
                        As Ann announced her bid for Bainum's former council seat, she has ruled out any run for mayor in 2010 should she win the upcoming special election.

Comment

Working...
                        X