Dubya Nearly Gets Nailed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubya Nearly Gets Nailed

In a surprise visit to Iraq this morning, President Bush held a news conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki. Click here to witness an Iraqi journalist throw both his shoes at the President’s head — a practice considered a major insult in Arab culture.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Re: Dubya Nearly Gets Nailed

HAHAHAhahahahahaha..ahhhhahahah...hahahaha...haaaa aaaaaaaahahahaha!
    OMG, that was tooooo funny!! Thanks, tunnl!! Hahahahahaha!!! Hahaaaaaa!!!!

Here's some more from that story...

Excerpt-
    "...Iraqi television journalist Muthathar al Zaidi and reports he threw both of his shoes at Bush just after he finished prepared remarks.
    The New York Times notes that the first shoe “narrowly missed” and the second shoe also missed. “This is a farewell kiss, you dog,” Zaidi shouted.
    Apparently, Bush was unfazed by the incident. “I didn’t feel the least bit threatened by it,” he said.
    UpdateMSNBC has video of the incident with correspondent Patty Culhane reporting that Bush was "not injured" but that White House Press Secretary Dana Perino received a black eye in the scuffle of trying to contain Zaidi."
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

George W. should have said, "Nana,nana,boo,boo, you miss me!" And then show.

Comment

Shoes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8va8b...eature=related

I think this says it all.

Jan 20th just can't come quick enough.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Re: Shoes!

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8va8b...eature=related

I think this says it all.

Jan 20th just can't come quick enough.
          As an American, I'm offended.

Now I want to throw shoes at Ahmadinajoud, Moqtada Al-Sadr, and the Illinois Governor. I also want to throw my dirty slippah at ALL the members of OPEC, and Hugo Chavez.

Why don't our journalists do that? Civilized wussies, perhaps?
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

No matter how we feel about our current President, I don't think that was right of anyone to harm him, even if it's a pair of shoes.

Does that give us the right to throw our shoes at any foreign dignitary visiting our nation? What if someone doesn't like Obama in Israel or Pakistan when he goes over there?

Sorry, but I cannot be amused by this.

Comment

As an American, I applaud the guy.

I think alot of people would love to, at LEAST, throw a shoe at him.

He's a disgrace to this country.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                As an American, I applaud the guy.

I think alot of people would love to, at LEAST, throw a shoe at him.

He's a disgrace to this country.
                Amen, Ed.

And it sounds like he is sayin SHOE-GOD-ZIRRA? Was he asking to be shoed?
                flickr

An email from God:
                To: People of Earth
                Date: 9/04/2007
                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Sorry you're not amused, Random. I think that this display from that Iraqui reporter was absolutely fitting. Sayonara, GWB!! Or however you say goodbye in arabic...

(is it bad that I'd like to throw a shoe or two at Linda Lingle?)

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    [...]
                    I'm with ya on that, Random. I'm not a GWB fan at all, but I find the Iraqi journalist's public show of contempt to be horribly inappropriate. AFAIC, it's attempted physical abuse.
                    Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                    [...]
                    (is it bad that I'd like to throw a shoe or two at Linda Lingle?)
                    The desire and the actual deed are 2 different things. A well written letter might be much more effective and with no legal side effects!

Comment

No matter how we feel about our current President, I don't think that was right of anyone to harm him, even if it's a pair of shoes.

Does that give us the right to throw our shoes at any foreign dignitary visiting our nation? What if someone doesn't like Obama in Israel or Pakistan when he goes over there?

As an American, I'm offended.

Now I want to throw shoes at Ahmadinajoud, Moqtada Al-Sadr, and the Illinois Governor. I also want to throw my dirty slippah at ALL the members of OPEC, and Hugo Chavez.

Why don't our journalists do that? Civilized wussies, perhaps?
                      What you don't understand R is that we did do the Iranian equivalent of throwing our shoes at Ahmadinejad last year. When the President of Iran spoke at Columbia University he was introduced with what he considered to be very rude remarks, which were not in keeping with the rules of etiquette in Iran. The people of Iran (both pro US and anti US) were very offended by the lack of hospitality shown by the president of the university. I don't condone or support the actions of the reporter in Iraq, but you have to put it into context of how we Americans act towards other countries and their Presidents we don't agree with.

My point is that some Americans have exhibited equally rude and offensive behavior toward Presidents of other countries as this Iraqi journalist. Only we just don't get it. We think the world should behave in accordance with our rules of etiquette. We tend to be egocentric. We don't understand exactly how offensive throwing your shoes is in the Middle East. It was a very symbolic gesture, not intended to be interpreted as a physical assault.

We do the same thing here only in a different way, but we just don't understand why anyone would be offended by some of the things we do.....because they are not offensive to us, therefore no one else should be offended.

If you really want to offend the King of Tonga (or any Tongan) show him the bottom of your bare foot.....it is the equivalent of throwing your shoes at him.

The Iraqi reporter made his point in the Middle East and it is turning out to be supported in many circles. Here in the US, the shoe went right over our heads. The world does not revolve around us!
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        The Iraqi reporter made his point in the Middle East and it is turning out to be supported in many circles. Here in the US, the shoe went right over our heads. The world does not revolve around us!
                        Reporters should be reporting the news, not making it. That job is left to editors.

Perhaps, I'll remember this moment when our next President is being shoe'd by a frustrated reporter in the future, foreign or domestic.

Comment

Good Job George!, you can dodge too....
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
                            Good Job George!, you can dodge too....
                            Bob and weave, bob and weave - a skill known to most politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              It was a very symbolic gesture, not intended to be interpreted as a physical assault...
                              Here in the US, the shoe went right over our heads. The world does not revolve around us!
                              Yes. Exactly.

Furthermore, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that this poor journalist, (yes, Random, even though he works for the news, he is still a man with feelings, opinions, and family) has been affected, likely aversely, by the iron hand of the USA. And I feel for him, and I am proud of his decision to make a demonstration when he had the opportunity. He didn't blow anything up, which seems to be popular in Iraq lately, he made his voice heard without ieds or wmds. He didn't suicide bomb anyone.

Shoes?! Well, I wish that was the worst that the good ol' US of A had done to any other country.

Comment

Working...
                              X