HT Annual Picnic - April 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HT Annual Picnic - April 20

An early heads up, so no excuses for not saving the date! The annual HawaiiThreads picnic, which usually happens in April (thanks, 1stwahine!), will take place on Sunday, April 20. Not sure exactly when (probably late morning to "whenevahs"), or exactly where (probably Ala Moana or Kakaako), but the who and where bring a bit of a twist.

I'm helping to organize the Hawaii Geek Meet that day, which aims to bring together all manner of geek and specialized community. And while you can just stay in the HawaiiThreads corner and chow down on Aunty Lynn's kal bi, I'll bet you'll get curious enough to wander over to some nearby tents to see what they're up to, too!

Best case scenario, it'll be a ridiculously diverse gathering of passionate people. Worst case scenario, only HawaiiThreads users show up and it's just as fantastic as it is every year anyway!

Meanwhile, if you're involved with any user group, interest group, in any way specialized group... consider scheduling your own group's next potluck as part of the Hawaii Geek Meet!

Re: HT Annual Picnic - April 20

Gigantic geek gathering on 4-20. Hm.

I'm curious about the "all manner" description of the invited geeks. Are we inviting the anime clubs, the aquarium society, and the cribbage congress?

I'm hoping to make this, but the KawaiiCon is the following weekend and I might still be working on my costume.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

HT Picnics are FuN!! We're excited about the Hawaii Geeks Picnic this year at the same time.

AWESOME!!

PK & Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        I'm hoping to make this, but the KawaiiCon is the following weekend and I might still be working on my costume.
        Last I heard, KawaiiKon is the 18-20th -- I'm supposed to be working it. And I was afraid using that excuse would be way too geeky. Obviously I was mistaken.

Once there's a set time for this I'll see if I can arrange my working schedule around it. I would really love to come to this, and be geeky in the process.
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

It's on the calendar. So more info coming, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Gigantic geek gathering on 4-20. Hm.

I'm curious about the "all manner" description of the invited geeks. Are we inviting the anime clubs, the aquarium society, and the cribbage congress?
            So how do we define "geek" anyway? And who is geekier than who? (or is that whom?) Isn't there a hierarchy involved there?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
              So how do we define "geek" anyway? And who is geekier than who? (or is that whom?) Isn't there a hierarchy involved there?
              Hierarchy of Geekdom (two different versions):

http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html

http://ladiesofhack.com/smf/index.ph...ic=301.msg3067

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                An early heads up, so no excuses for not saving the date! The annual HawaiiThreads picnic, which usually happens in April (thanks, 1stwahine!), will take place on Sunday, April 20.[...]
                The date is officially logged in iCal...work permitting, of course. I'll be the ol' fut on the non-geek side!

Comment

People can be geeky about anything. If your group of friends or... er, niche interest organization don't mind self-identifying as such, you're welcome to be part of the party. Basically, if you're passionate about something that might otherwise seem esoteric, if it involves specialized skills or tools, come on down and show off.

Heck, anime fans might be a great fit, especially if there are some cosplay enthusiasts. The ham radio folks are going to bring some stuff. I'm hoping some model rocketeers will come, too (ahem). Photographers will bring their toys, vloggers and podcasters, too. Hell, if I had connections to woodworkers or glassblowers or engineers...

Worst case scenario, all these groups have their own picnics on the same day in the same park. Best case scenario, people get brave and visit their neighbors, and learn something new in the process.

Comment

PZ, what about the Hawaii LOST fan club? Are you going tell them too?
                    I'd rather be ... LOST

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      Heck, anime fans might be a great fit, especially if there are some cosplay enthusiasts. The ham radio folks are going to bring some stuff. I'm hoping some model rocketeers will come, too (ahem). Photographers will bring their toys, vloggers and podcasters, too. Hell, if I had connections to woodworkers or glassblowers or engineers..
                      I think me bringing over a 4 foot tall, 4 inch wide rocket that in theory could carry a small radio, camera or some other kind of electronic do-hickey while attired as one Mrs. Emma Peel could be streching a bit.

Comment

4/20 got it!

Comment

Hmmmm. What's with all the references to "4:20" here? Does this have other kaona, hidden connotations?
                          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                            Hmmmm. What's with all the references to "4:20" here? Does this have other kaona, hidden connotations?
                            ha - ha Same thought crossed my mind too . Wish I could be there. Sounds fun!

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                              Pie bakers understand - it's all about the blackbirds. (Unless you are a CSN fan.)

Comment

Working...
                              X