Any Martial Artists in da house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Martial Artists in da house?

I'm a long time practitioner of Shito-ryu (Japanese) w/ some BJJ & Arnis training. I know that this isn't a MA forum (I'm already a regular on one) but I want to know if there are any others like me (w/ a passion for fighting arts) lurking or active here.

Re: Any Martial Artists in da house?

Kendo here

Comment

Ooooh, Kendo! Star Wars! Lightsabers! Cool stuff.

I'm longtime Kajukenbo practitioner.
      Last edited by MonkeyMan; April 19, 2007, 04:12 AM. Reason: Added Kajukenbo Wikipedia link
      Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Hah, don't worry, I did not join a kendo dojo due to delusions of Jedi or samurai, but I do enjoy Star Wars and samurai flicks

I'm reading up on Kajukenbo, it's very interesting! I had never heard about it until today.

Someday I'd like to try Yabusame :P

Comment

This my school...

http://www.kajukenbo.org/schools/sch...Kenpo%20Karate

I actually had a hand in teachin Sigung Ray when he first started. After a while, I faded, he kept going. (I didn't even know he was Sigung until just now!) Guess it's been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
            Ooooh, Kendo! Star Wars! Lightsabers! Cool stuff.

I'm longtime Kajukenbo practitioner.
            Your wiki entry is wrong.

"John Leoning, who earned a black belt from Emperado, brought Kajukenbo to the mainland in 1958."
            http://www.kajukenbo.org/history/

I was his student more than 30 years ago. RIP Sifu.

To the OP. In my youth I studied both Kajukenbo and Ninjitsu. Ninjitsu under Frank Dux, a controversial figure but a solid martial artist.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Dux
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I'm assuming you wouldn't include t'ai chi, but I could be wrong. I treat it as meditation, though it has shared roots with many defensive martial arts.

Comment

sinjin...

Back in the early '80's, I lived in Van Nuys (Ca) & looking for a dojo. I wandered into Dux's school & had a lengthy conversation w/ him. He made sure I saw his "trophy" (actually a 15" gold-colored bowl mounted on a wooden base) from the "Kumite" (ala Bloodsport - the movie hadn't yet been made).

The thing I remember most about him was that although he was talking to me, he kept looking @ his reflection in the mirror behind me. (true story)

Comment

I've known Tai Chi practitioners who had the utmost of calm deameanors about them, but when provoked could effortlessly rip your head off... and then bow serenely.

Oh, and Sinjin, I didn't write that wikipedia entry. Take it up with Wikipedia. I guess you could create an account with them and go edit the thing yourself.

Comment

hmmmn...oO(wonder when this thread is going to disintergrate into a "you know you are trained in a McDojo when...")

pax

Comment

I've watched about 30 years of kung fu movies, does that count? =p
                      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                        Your wiki entry is wrong.

"John Leoning, who earned a black belt from Emperado, brought Kajukenbo to the mainland in 1958."
                        http://www.kajukenbo.org/history/

I was his student more than 30 years ago. RIP Sifu.

To the OP. In my youth I studied both Kajukenbo and Ninjitsu. Ninjitsu under Frank Dux, a controversial figure but a solid martial artist.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Dux
                        Man as a kid I loved that movie. Got any stories about Frank Dux?

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
                          Oh, and Sinjin, I didn't write that wikipedia entry. Take it up with Wikipedia. I guess you could create an account with them and go edit the thing yourself.
                          I was only setting the record right, Nothing against you personally MM. Thanks for the advice.
                          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                            Man as a kid I loved that movie. Got any stories about Frank Dux?
                            He was quite the character. He was still a young man when I met him. His training style was sparring oriented and physically demanding and damaging. What I remember most is the continual string of "guests" he'd bring around the dojo. Nines and tens as a rule. Ultimately his distractions from teaching due to his acting ambitions drove me from his school.
                            Last edited by sinjin; April 24, 2007, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              I'm assuming you wouldn't include t'ai chi, but I could be wrong. I treat it as meditation, though it has shared roots with many defensive martial arts.

+1
                              Been practicing for 5 years. Love it. Keeps me centered mentally, and physically, as is the point.

Dabbled with Judo for a little while too.
                              flickr

An email from God:
                              To: People of Earth
                              Date: 9/04/2007
                              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

Working...
                              X