How do you say ____ in Hawaiian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you say ____ in Hawaiian?

there's plenty of hawaiian dictionaries, but are there any sites that show you sentences on translation?

i.e.

how do you say... "Can't wait to see you" in hawaiian
    website - http://www.brianhancock.com
    blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Re: How do you say ____ in Hawaiian?

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
    there's plenty of hawaiian dictionaries, but are there any sites that show you sentences on translation?

i.e.

"Take care tita/bruddah...laterz!"

Ohh! try wait. My bad. You said Hawaiian not pidgin.hehehe

....it's early in morning. too much da kine my eyes ~ I betta go wash um. Ewwwwwwl. hahahaha

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

a hui hou means when we see each other again. Even if the translation isn't direct, on an idiomatic level it is close enough and appropriate.

pax

Comment

Which is why there's no real substitute for instruction and immersive study. A book could tell you basic sentence structures ('O vs. He) and where adjectives go, but really, stringing together words on a formula won't really get you to translations that convey the sentiment you're looking for.

You could cobble together the equivalent of "I cannot wait to see you," but might end up with a sentence that really means "I do not have the ability to wait to see you," rather than "I really crave seeing you again," which is the real sentiment.

"A hui hou" is simple enough -- until we meet again. But there may certainly be a way to add a stronger element of desire and longing. You won't get that from a book, neccessarily. And almost certainly not from a website.

Comment

Thanks all... i kinda figured it would be hard to do, but wasn't sure...

Auntie, i totally feel ya on the da kine in the eyes. that happens to me every morning!
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

i.e.

good question. many sites translate words, but words only.
            Liliha library has free basic classes now and then...
            but yea, as mentioned. a hui hou does it, mostly.

Comment

"A hui hou" also implies, as has been said already, that the thing being referred to will happen again. "Can't wait to see you" could mean for the first time, e.g. when penpals finally meet.

Comment

then i think that would be
                "A huin't hou"

if you want to translate
                "Can't wait to see you" in Hawaiian
                find a Hawaiian online dictionary.
                type in these words below... separately and string the resultant translated Hawaiian words together:

I am not interested or in any position to spend another minute in anticipation of your physically getting in my ocular path, therefore, I am outta here.

that should do it.
                Last edited by kimo55; January 13, 2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen
                  "A hui hou" also implies, as has been said already, that the thing being referred to will happen again.
                  Right. "A hui hou" may not work to to sign off a letter to a long-distance love you've never yet met in person the way "can't wait to see you" would. And "a hui hou" is used pretty casually. More like "see ya," in my mind, which again lacks that element of longing or desire.

ʻAʻole hiki iaʻu ke kali i ka ʻike ʻana iāʻoe.

That's one way to do, "I cannot wait to see you." But it may be too literal. "I am unable to wait" may imply "I won't." And ʻike for "see" means to see with one's eyes, not neccessary see as in be together with.

I don't have my copy with me, but my semi-secret weapon in trying to be a bit more poetic in my Hawaiian sentence construction is the gigantic tome, "‘Ōlelo No'eau." The proverbs and sayings in the book may actually be a bit too flowery or abstract to use in everyday conversation, but it can help learn some other, more elegant ways to phrase things.

There's gotta be a love song in Hawaiian with a line that would be perfect.
                  Last edited by pzarquon; January 13, 2007, 06:22 PM.

Comment

"My heart does the tango, each and every time we meet.
                    I love you like a mango ...
                    ... I want you to drop, baby, drop, baby drop ..."

Okay okay ... I know ... it was just the first thing that sprang to mind.
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

one o da worst songs around erika. not before coffee, please!

Comment

It was also a huge hit ... which is perhaps why it sprang to my mind.

Anyways, I've gotta go refill my cup! (of aforementioned coffee, just to be clear)
                        Last edited by Erika Engle; January 14, 2007, 06:46 AM. Reason: afterthought - to add specificity
                        I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post

?A?ole hiki ia?u ke kali i ka ?ike ?ana i??oe.
                          high five on the "hiki" pattern, czar-kwan! Hiki is very much overused and abused, tho, and evident that one is using English thinking in constructing this sentence. The "inability to wait" in this sentence is very much about inability not yearning.

back to the original, is this about the heart overflowing to see someone for the first time or again? or, hurry up and let's meet, before I have to leave the planet?

aloha no ka lo'ihi o ko kaua hui hou 'ana. (kahako over the no, the o in loihi, and the a in kaua). Dear blank its a long time before we see each other again. If no "again", then drop the hou.

pax

Comment

Working...
                          X