Favorite Candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Candy

With Halloween soon upon us, this is a good time to discuss that fun treat we know as candy!

What was your favorite candies as a kid and what is it that you crave today? Throw in snacks too if you feel it's not sweet enough to be considered candy ((such as Arare).

A few categories previously discussed here at HT were Candy Bars and Chewing Gum. Of course there are many more worth discussing such as holiday novelties, collectible candies such as PEZ, lolipops, mints and local favorites to name a few.

I'll start with a few childhood local favorites of mine:
    1.) Tomoe Ame - A Japanese candy that's soft and chewy with a clear edible rice paper "wrapper", as if you're eating Seran Wrap. lol The toy that came with it was just secondary, but still cool.
    2. Haw Flakes - A Chinese candy that's shaped in a thin, tan-colored wafer, stacked in cylindrical wrappers. Very unique in flavor. We used to pretend we were taking communion with them. lol Our neighborhood Manapua man kept us well stocked with this very affordable treat.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Favorite Candy

I've always loved candy corn and Kraft carmel squares...hope my future dentist isn't reading this

However, I was lucky when I was growing up... had some rich neighbors that would give out quarters!!! That was always a winner!

Comment

Anything that is coconut and chocolate covered. I found these German bars named Ritter Sport and I love them! And Mounds. Coconut covered by chocolate is hard to find!

And no nuts...I used to love Chic-O-Sticks...a coconut covered sort of butterfinger thing. But I can't chew them now, too much gunk in the teeth.

And...I used to LOVE Charleston Chews!!!
      Ahh...the days of candy...
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

As a kid I loved Neccos and candy cigarettes! And, no, the candy cigarettes never led to the real thing!

Now? Give me a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup and I'll follow you anywhere!

Comment

Growing up it always was Peanut M&M's and even today they're a close second only to Chocolate covered macadamia's!

Guess it's a candy version of my life...
          I'm the nut and my wife's the chocolate covering! Yummm.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Remember popcorn balls? Wrapped in bright colored saran wrap? Also just LOVE caramel apples and Laffy Taffy. You can chew those almost as long as you want to

Comment

Candy corn just brings back all my Halloween memories - when this time of year comes around - I crave candy corn!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Almond Joy
                Cadbury with hazelnuts
                Cadbury fruit and nut
                Chocolate-covered almonds
                Hershey bar with almonds

And, just for variety, plain M&Ms

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                  Coconut covered by chocolate is hard to find!
                  FYI, blueyecicle, the Brooks drug store chain here, in the NE, sells a chocolate covered coconut confection, from Florida, called "Coconut Squares". It's simply a pure coconut square covered in dark chocolate. I'll be glad to send you some. Coconut Squares are one of the few candies I know that are still made, on a large scale basis, by an independent confectioner and not by one of the big companies that have come to dominate the candy market, like Hershery's, Nestle's, and M&M Mars.

Coconut...yeech! I've never developed a liking for it. I don't like the consistancy of it. All coconut palms innately know this about me, and as such, have evidently sought to let me know of their displeasure of not liking their offerings. Last December, while on Molokai, I visited the Kamehameha coconut grove just west of Kaunakakai just off the Kam V highway. That grove is incredible...hundreds of coconut trees growing in a drop-dead gorgeous setting overlooking the Kalohi Channel. It's postcard Hawaii. While visiting there, for the first time in my life, and after all the time I've spent in Hawaii, I got whacked in the head by a falling coconut. It wasn't a direct hit; rather, the coconut glanced off the bill of my trusty John Deere farmer's cap, but if the coconut fell just two inches closer to my head...I would have been feeling some serious pain. I was caught completely off guard. The coconut trees made their message clear.

Enough of the digression from the thread. My favorite candies are:

Dark chocolate covered sponge candy. Quality Candy of Milwaukee used to (may still) produce the absolute best.

Love Hearts. A neat little candy from England that fizzes in one's mouth. Note: One must buy the version imported from the UK to get the fizzing effect; the USA produced versions do not fizz.

Dark chocolate with pecans, otherwise known as "pecan bark". While I'm at it, just about any nut or fruit covered in dark chocolate is good to me, except those dark chocolate sunflower seeds imported from Japan. If one is going to eat chocolate, eat dark chocolate. Speaking of Japan...

...I love grape-flavored Hi-Chews. Those are so delicious.

My favorite adade..excuse me..arare..has to be the sakura variety. I make meals out of sakura when I'm back in Hawaii. Gimme a bag of sakura and a can (or two) of Hawaiian Sun lilikoi nectar, and I've got a meal!

My candy dream: A dark chocolate version of the Good News bar (Hawaii's Favorite) made with ingredients allowing me to eat it.

Comment

Re: Favorite Candy: koo koo about kokonut

Surfingfarmboy, good thing that was a John Deer (tractor) cap! Was it green? Then you drew the luck of the Irish. The Friendly Isle "Coconut gods" were speaking to you.

Gosh, Almond Joy (almonds and coconut covered in milk chocolate) has to be one of my favorite candy bars. I'll take that over Mounds (coconut covered in dark chocolate) any day. I don't get why they divide it into two pieces though. Perhaps the coconut filling doesn't have enough integrity for one long candy bar. Might break apart in shipping.

Oh man.. just when I thought of it, they beat me to it... Almond Joy has a Pina Colada version! I NEED TO TRY THIS.

My grandmother used to LOVE those Red Coconut Balls. Good stuff.

One of the chocolate novelties in the Sees Chocolate gift box has coconut in it.

I'd love to try that German Ritter Sport Blueyecicle mentioned.

I prefer milk chocolate. Pass on the dark stuff.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                      FYI, blueyecicle, the Brooks drug store chain here, in the NE, sells a chocolate covered coconut confection, from Florida, called "Coconut Squares". It's simply a pure coconut square covered in dark chocolate. I'll be glad to send you some. Coconut Squares are one of the few candies I know that are still made, on a large scale basis, by an independent confectioner and not by one of the big companies that have come to dominate the candy market, like Hershery's, Nestle's, and M&M Mars.

Just send me a bill!!!!!!! I can't find it online.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        Surfingfarmboy, good thing that was a John Deer (tractor) cap! Was it green? Then you drew the luck of the Irish. The Friendly Isle "Coconut gods" were speaking to you.
                        Yep..it was green. And yes...I heard the "Coconut Gods of Molokai loud and clearly! I have to say, I've never seen an official John Deere cap in any other color but green! ...we farmers constantly refer to that particular shade of green as none other than "John Deere Green". There is even a country music song, by Joe Diffie, called "John Deere Green". BTW, a few of the HTers in here actually saw the very cap that may have saved me from whatever med center is on Molokai my last visit over..they may not remember me wearing it, but it was there!

I have to say coconut is okay when it is toasted...I can eat Zagnut bars and Chick-O-Stix..not favorites, but I can tolerate them. But to eat a Mounds, or an Almond Joy, or a See's coconut candy...I can't do it. The texture of that type of coconut in my mouth almost (no joking) will lead me to a bout of dry heaves. It's a fruit I simply cannot eat when it's in that form.

The coconut candy from Florida that I mentioned in my previous post in this thread is actually known as "Coconut Patties"..not "Coconut Squares" which I incorrectly reported. (Sorry 'bout that, blueyecicle!)

Comment

There's nothing like a simple Hershey's Chocolate Bar with Almonds. Yum! As a kid, I would dip it in the peanut butter jar.

The wife is a chocoholic, so when I get put in the dog house, Kit Kat Bars, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, M & M's w/ Peanuts, and Twix Bars can work better than flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai;105457
                            I'd love to try that German [B
                            Ritter Sport[/B] Blueyecicle mentioned.

I prefer milk chocolate. Pass on the dark stuff.
                            My brother sent me 2 boxes from Germany qith 12 HUGE bars each. Want 2 of them?? PM me. I can't eat 24 bars. I gave away a bunch and have 12 left!

I bougth my first ones in Waikikki. 4 or 5.00 per candy BAR

SurfingFB THANKS I found it! I am going to order a box!!

Man gotta love a candy thread!

Comment

I dont eat much candy now, but I like:

pictures are worth 1000 words.
                              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                              X