Darn Democrats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Darn Democrats

I believe that the political "naivete" comes in when anyone thinks that an election is NOT about name recognition and popularity. Would any of us vote for a person we knew nothing about or who was generally disliked? Think back to high school or a group we belong to - the persons elected to office were the ones who were most liked, most recognizable or most popular.

You don't like sign waving - I see it as just one of the venues a politician can use to get their name out in front of the public. It's free (except the cost of bottled water for your volunteers), it's fun and most of all, for a politician - it's FREE.

What we can all do to make things right is to not walk away from the process and just give up. That's called apathy.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

When I lived in Arkansas in 1999-2000, I remember people picketing for a lottery. They have been fighting for YEARS to get one- back before I lived there. Well, they finally got approved last November. Go, Arkansas! So, see- it can happen! If one of the most rigid, Bible-beating states can cave, Hawaii can definitely swing it. Do some research on Arkansas and see how they managed to get the vote passed and what methods they used. I'm sure they'd be happy to share ideas.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        I'm a very proud Democrat and will continue to be because this party comes closest to my own vision of what the world should be like. Their platform puts issues and ideas out there that mirror my own values. The other parties don't. I'm not saying I will support every Democratic candidate, and I don't always support the actions of my party. But, for the most part I think they do a pretty darned good job.
        W00T! And I became a card carrying Democrat because of anapuni.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          W00T! And I became a card carrying Democrat because of anapuni.
          Although I am not a card carrying Democrat, Anapuni makes a lot of sense.
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            Although I am not a card carrying Democrat, Anapuni makes a lot of sense.
            She's one tough wahine and very akamai. I got involved with our Hawaii Democratic Party because of her. I was on the Hawaii Democratic Convention Committee. I became Precinct President for my area. And I ran for office. Currently, I'm on my second term as a Neighborhood Board Member.

I'm a Proud Democrat too.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I've found that their are both good and bad democrats and republicans. What is dangerous is when one party has so much control put into the hands of just a few party leaders that constituent issues get ignored simply because a few party bosses told your lawmaker not to listen.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                I've found that their are both good and bad democrats and republicans. What is dangerous is when one party has so much control put into the hands of just a few party leaders that constituent issues get ignored simply because a few party bosses told your lawmaker not to listen.
                One party rule can be bad, I agree. But for there to be a healthy 2 party system, the minority party (GOP) has to offer a viable message to the public rather than just being the party that says "NO!" to everything the majority party proposes.

And yes. It would also help if the Republicans maintained a stronger public image instead of making national headlines for things like extramarital affairs (John Ensign, Mark Sanford) and sudden resignations (Sarah Palin).
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Or selling Obama's seat.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/...nor/index.html

Or Edwards cheating on his wife.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5441195&page=1

The problem exists on both sides. Let's be fair.

Comment

Point taken, Alohakine. Scandals exist on both sides.

BUT,...... the Democrats are the ones in majority power now. So it is up to the Republicans to *impress* the voting public that they offer an attractive alternative. As I said, being the party of NO, but offering up no sensible solutions will not get them back into favor with voters. Neither is responding to scandals within their own party with cries of "Look at the Democrats!" Particularly when the GOP party is the one that trumpets family values. Instead of pointing fingers at everybody else, the Republicans in leadership positions need to get their own house in order first and to clean up their own act. Anything else is just whistling Dixie.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      the GOP party is the one that trumpets family values. Instead of pointing fingers at everybody else, the Republicans in leadership positions need to get their own house in order first and to clean up their own act.
                      In a nutshell, Frankie's Market here sums up the issue for many of us.

Yes, there are plenty of stupid/foolish/ignorant/reckless/choose-your-adjective politicians in both major parties, as well as all the lesser ones, BUT it's the Republican Party that most strongly insists on demanding Americans live by their particular value system, yet continues to violate those same values.

Comment

Darn Stagnant Politics

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        One party rule can be bad, I agree. But for there to be a healthy 2 party system, the minority party (GOP) has to offer a viable message to the public rather than just being the party that says "NO!" to everything the majority party proposes.

And yes. It would also help if the Republicans maintained a stronger public image instead of making national headlines for things like extramarital affairs (John Ensign, Mark Sanford) and sudden resignations (Sarah Palin).
                        Well said.

One party rule is a virtual dictatorship, even if it pretends to be democratic (with a small 'd'). A healthy 2-party system (like our Federal Government) shows exchanges of power regularly. Hawai`i is predominantly Democratic and largely so ruled, and has been for a long time. If the GOP wants footing in Hawai`i, they will have to earn it; people here are reticent to change.

If you look at American History in the long term, we were infrequently locked into a stagnant 2-party system. In decades past there were viable challengers to the ruling parties, and parties often merged, disappeared, appeared or split. I would like to see a strong, supported 3rd party challenge the status quo, but most of the other parties are either one-issue parties, or too 'far-out' for most folks, or just not broad enough for popular appeal.

I think the 2-party system needs refreshing. We get the same-old arguments year after year, the same liberal vs. conservative. It's time for change alright, and I'm not talking about what our current administration has proposed (back to policies of 8 years ago), but real, new ideas. Even going back a hundred years or more to smaller government (or at least less top-heavy), fewer unnecessary laws, elimination of victimless crimes and getting religious control out of government actions.
                        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                        ~ ~
                        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Let's be fair and truthful...

The problem exists on both sides. Let's be fair.
                          While politics in general always attracts and generates sleaze, there is an overwhelming abundance over the left by the selfproclaimed righteous right during the last 40 years when it comes to the worst of the worst. No contest.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by leo lakio View Post
                            in a nutshell, frankie's market here sums up the issue for many of us.

Yes, there are plenty of stupid/foolish/ignorant/reckless/choose-your-adjective politicians in both major parties, as well as all the lesser ones, but it's the republican party that most strongly insists on demanding americans live by their particular value system, yet continues to violate those same values.

+ 10000000
                            What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

The problem with politics in America is that most people can acknowledge this:
                              Yet still look at the landscape like this:
                              The problem exists on both sides.
                              I say screw both sides. Vote independent! If enough of us do it, we can elect enough “outsiders” to affect real change. Why people don’t understand that the Dems and the GOP are the same party with different rhetoric is beyond me. Ignorance? Denial?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                I say screw both sides. Vote independent! If enough of us do it, we can elect enough “outsiders” to affect real change. Why people don’t understand that the Dems and the GOP are the same party with different rhetoric is beyond me. Ignorance? Denial?
                                The real "outsiders" don't run for high political office anymore; they make change at the human level, where most of us reside. They volunteer and operate grassroots organizations. The less governmental influence seems to equate to the more successful result - think "The Slippah Project"; it's a perfect example of the kind of change I believe will actually matter in our swiftly-crumbling empire. (Please note, I said "high" political office; those who want to be elected to congressional, gubernatorial, or higher national executive office these days are more interested in "power" than "change.") Last independent I supported was John Anderson, back in 1980.

Comment

Working...
                                X