Where Did All The Nice People Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Where Did All The Nice People Go?

A ratings system was tried here. Don't bring anything like that back.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
      Now there is a rating system for posts that should be incorporated on HT. Instead of the standard type "thumbs ups or down", or stars, etc., there should instead be a rating based on how logical a post is. Especially if the post is a rebuttal.
      DHO to DH3 = don't even bother to read.
      seems obvious to me that if one hangs around HT long enough and has decent powers of observation, one can easily ascertain with what posters one has an affinity or repulsion. for example, if a certain person repeatedly presents opinions that i evaluate as starking mad & pathetically daft, would it not be equally witless of me to react with shock if said person pens moronic missives in the future?

as i told someone in a PM yesterday, whether a regular poster on a discussion board reveals his/her true identity is of no matter. that person's character & integrity--or lack thereof--reveal themselves quickly enough. i'd daresay that character & integrity are much more telling about a person than his or her birth name.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Some of the loveliest ladies and gentlemen, I have met in Hawaii. I have been there several times and they have been here. They often use Trafalgar tours (not advertising) to do trips to France. Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria~~~ then back to London.
        A couple and a separate lady have fallen in love with where I live and come at least twice a year.
        That was my fault, I told them that Liverpool was a quaint fishing village in England.
        I still keep in touch with my friends from Havaii, usually on MSN.

I just want to say that most of the respectful and wisest people come from where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          A ratings system was tried here. Don't bring anything like that back.
          A most hefty and hearty "AMEN!" to that. Too easy to abuse. (If you see one of us refer to "chicklets" - that's what it's about.) Cynsaligia is right --- you read enough here, you'll get what people are about.

Comment

Yea, I guess I was just thinking about on the original topic of this thread. Some of HT's worst moments have been when unnecessary name calling starts up. Or "smarty-pants" responses (as Judge Judy would say).
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I still like chicklets
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I still like chicklets
                Stop being not nice, cw.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                  Yea, I guess I was just thinking about on the original topic of this thread. Some of HT's worst moments have been when unnecessary name calling starts up. Or "smarty-pants" responses (as Judge Judy would say).
                  aw, i rather like those flammable moments, and i'm not regretful for instigating and/or splashing more fuel onto the flames. i think HT would be a dry old ladies' tea party without those episodes now an again.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                    aw, i rather like those flammable moments, and i'm not regretful for instigating and/or splashing more fuel onto the flames. i think HT would be a dry old ladies' tea party without those episodes now an again.
                    Hey there's nothing wrong with old ladies or their tea parties...to them when they add some honey to their tea they're pushing the envelope on their sugar-intake limits. At 49 for me, eating a fat-laden roast pork plate with mac salad is pushing it. Oh but I live for the challenge. I'll probably die from it too but hey it was fun!

There was a time in my youth where I would challenge a fiesty mind like yours. I even sent one Commie gal back to China after she blasted my veteran's status at a party. But I'm older, wiser and try to be more humble as my mind turns to mush with each advancing senior year, gotta be a role model to my minor children so my wife tells me to cool da jets!
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey there's nothing wrong with old ladies or their tea parties...to them when they add some honey to their tea they're pushing the envelope on their sugar-intake limits.
                      I'll take a wine party over a tea party but must admit I love Tea at 1024!
                      At 49 for me, eating a fat-laden roast pork plate with mac salad is pushing it.
                      49? You're still a snot-nose kid...nowhere near "pushing it"!
                      Oh but I live for the challenge. I'll probably die from it too but hey it was fun!
                      You can say that at any age.
                      There was a time in my youth where I would challenge a fiesty mind like yours.
                      Cyn has one of the fiestier minds on HT. And I say that with the utmost respect. I love reading her fiesty posts, even in threads that hold no interest for me!
                      I even sent one Commie gal back to China after she blasted my veteran's status at a party. But I'm older, wiser and try to be more humble as my mind turns to mush with each advancing senior year, gotta be a role model to my minor children so my wife tells me to cool da jets!
                      If you consider 49 "with each advancing senior year" then something is really wrong with this picture! Craig...you're in your prime. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Comment

Hey babies, I am 62 and play dominoes with a few ladies in their 80's and a gentleman who is 75. The ladies have their baileys, Jack has scoctch and coke and I have brandy. We all cheat but no money is taken. The few shilling are left in the kity.
                        Just a bit of fun and when it goes icy,I get some shhopping in for them.

Comment

*bumping the thread - but sadly reminded of our dear departed Barry, who left the last post here*

Trolls on the internet may be trolls in real life; article here.

Yeah, I suspect this may often be the case.

Comment

I agree LL. AFAIC, a troll is a troll is a troll. And, karma is karma is karma.

Comment

I heard Colin Cowherd say that the reason why Bill O'Reily and reality shows work is because they have conflict. The better Real Time with Bill Maher episodes are the ones with both conservative and liberal guests on the panel.

Comment

Alas, poor Barry! [We] knew him well....
                                May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                                X