Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    What do you mean? There's like residential condos a block away behind First Hawaiian Bank and such.
    Ah, yes. There is. Although I think they are probably closer to Don Quote(sp?).

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    As for parking, guess they could build a multi level structure to increase parking.
    Well, the question is, what exactly is going on. All I can find out is that Walgreens is going to pick up the lease, but what is the lease? Just the land or are they leasing the buildings? That's going to limit what they can do.
    Last edited by GeckoGeek; December 3, 2006, 12:24 AM.

Comment

KFC did a major renovation last year I cannot imagine them selling, but anything is possible.

Didnt Tower Records used to be located across the street where Walmart now sits? If so, when did the original Tower Records open up and when did it move to the present location? Lastly what existed before Tower Records moved there?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
        [...]soooo...a walgreen's on that corner will be something i'd welcome. i'd say that many of the other 29,699 odd of my neighbors who also live in makiki would likely agree.
        I like to kill 2 birds with one stone so take my Rx's to Safeway Makiki and grocery shop while it's being filled. Otherwise, when at home, it's Long's Waianae! I can't imagine Waianae will eventually get a Walgreen but I'll guess Kapolei might.

I doubt I'll have a reason to enter a Walgreens. Have yet to enter Sams Club/Walmart on Keeaumoku!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
          Didnt Tower Records used to be located across the street where Walmart now sits? If so, when did the original Tower Records open up and when did it move to the present location? Lastly what existed before Tower Records moved there?
          That was a long time ago. Not sure on specific year but I think Towers moved across Keeaumoku around 1990?

If I remember right, the video portion of the store moved first then the record section.

I forget what was the previous business at the existing Towers store.

Comment

Towers used to be at a different location?!?!?
            Unless they were b4 their soon to be ex-location I know they have been there since 1982 cuz I rememba the 45 singles on VINYL they used to stock b foa it got kicked to the curb with cassette singles and CD's

Now I am reading that STAR MARKETS is folding and giving WALGREENS their Kaneohe location to them when they go bye bye

Well I am not particular on whos the better one in reference to WALGREENS and LONGS DRUGS.......

Since there is soooooooooooooo many WALGREENS where I am at I go to them...
            The Longs Drugs here is not anything like back home which I kinda miss

Comment

As far as I can remember Tower Records Keeaumoku has been there since at least 1980 or 1981. And yes, this was when they really sold a lot of vinyl records... LPs and 45s. CDs did not arrive in a big way until around 1985.

Odyssey Records occupied the Keeaumoku St. location where Tower is/was in the late 1970s. That was another chain store which also went belly-up. What was there before is unknown to me.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Something I'm wondering about is why did Wallgreen's pick the old Tower site? Why not the car dealership right around the corner? That place is vacant. You could plop down most any size store and still have parking.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  Something I'm wondering about is why did Wallgreen's pick the old Tower site? Why not the car dealership right around the corner? That place is vacant. You could plop down most any size store and still have parking.
                  Maybe the landlord of the Tower's site gave a better deal? Maybe Walgreen's felt the site gives more exposure since it sits right at the intersection? And it is a tad closer to the residential apts by Don Quiote.

Comment

For those of you wondering what Walgreens is about or has to offer, here is a little info:

I have worked for Longs in Hawaii (as a former kamaaina 4 years ago) and I am now an assistant manager for Walgreens. Though I might hate my job (b/c of the awkward hours and other things) at times, especially during the holiday season, I feel that Walgreens is a great company to work for and though they will start relatively slowly in the Hawaii market, they will expand very quickly. The culture within the company expects it. To provide some perspective, Walgreens has opened more than 2,000 stores since 2002; more than 550 in 2005. That's one store opening on average every 17 hours or so. Because of the rapid expansion, Walgreens is one of the top three employers of college graduates in the US (into management). They need people to work in their stores and the jobs they provide are honorable and pay fairly well.

One of the reasons I believe Walgreens will do well in the 808 state is that they are starting out on one of the busiest corners in the state and will show that they are not afraid of Walmart, muchless lowly Longs. On the flipside, when I was working for Longs at the Ala Moana store (busiest in the chain at the time), the store manager was freaking out because Walmart had just purchased the land on Keeamoku where they now reside. He must be pacing in his office these days with all the news of Walgreens coming to his neck of the woods. Another reason to anticipate success for "The Pharmacy America Trusts" is that they will have drive-thru Rx at many of their locations.

The main reason, though for the success of the Walgreens chain is the committment to outstanding customer service that is ingrained into every employee even if it means losing a little money once in a while. While employed with Longs, productivity was the mantra while customer service was a passtime that would only be practiced half-heartedly in between the many tasks at hand.

Walgreens is going to come. Walgreens is going to stay. And, just accept it, Walgreens is going to thrive.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

I read that ALL of the Tower Locations was going to be turned over to the folks at Walgreens when they go buh bye. So whether or not if there is already an exisiting one they sprout left and right like ABC Stores. One on every block I MEAN they seem like they are on every block.

Comment

So is Walgreens like the Mesa/Go airlines of the pharmacy industry? Are they predatory (intend to drive Longs' out of business) or will they be fair neighbors/competitors?
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          So is Walgreens like the Mesa/Go airlines of the pharmacy industry? Are they predatory (intend to drive Longs' out of business) or will they be fair neighbors/competitors?
                          As I said before, Walgreens is very aggressive. They don't care if there are other retail pharmacies in the neighborhood, possibly even on the same block. Places like Longs will always have customers, but they are more of a niche player than Walgreens. For one thing, Walgreens doesn't sell booze (at least the ones I go to don't). One of the Longs Stores here (the only one that carried Hawai'i stuff like Zippy chili) went out of business, though.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            I don't think they are like Mesa/go!. I haven't heard of them violating any rules of conduct. They just like to expand the way ABC stores do around Waikiki. And they employ concepts like 24hr pharmacies and drive-thru pharmacies to win people over.

Comment

I don't know about the drive thru but a 24 hour pharmacy at the old Tower by Kapiolani Blvd might be what is needed for it to survive there since Longs at Ala Moana is not a 24 hour operation and while the Don Quoite and Wal-Mart stores are open 24 hours, their pharmacies are not.

Comment

I still say if Walgreens would take over Food Pantry in Waikiki that would be a major hurdle for them because the tourists would love it being so close to the hotels and having something very familiar to them but it would take out the only major grocery store in Waikiki.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                                X