Ban New Years fireworks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ban New Years fireworks?

Do you think fireworks should be banned for the public's use, and only professional firework displays allowed? Why yes or why not?

By the way, this is my second "poll", and for this one I am opting for posters to identify themselves. In part because I am interested in where the opinions are coming from - here in Hawaii (those who actually live with the experience of New Years fireworks), or mainland/other places where the opinions might be based upon completely different experiences than what happens here with fireworks.

New Year fireworks .... love 'em or ban 'em?
    Yes, only professional displays should be allowed
    50.00%
    No, everyone should be allowed to use fireworks
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

I'm truly in favor of a 'Ban' for private fireworks.

Hate (strong word, I know) the smoke, noise, and possibilities of fires.
    It's terrible for asthmatics and others with breathing problems, animals, small kine kids, and me!

Go for the Fireworks shows. IMO
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Given the effectiveness of the ban on aerials, do you think it will make any difference?

Or will this be about as effective as the war on drugs?

I've got no real problem with legal fireworks. I just want to get rid of the illegal ones.

Comment

A friend of the family used to do a big fireworks display for all the big firework holidays -- New Years, 4th of July, Labor Day, etc. And I'm not talking the kind of stuff you could buy down at the store -- these were heavy duty "professional-type" fireworks. Well, just this past Labor Day said friend lost a hand in a firework accident-- and as if that wasn't bad enough, he had to face a police inquiry over possession of illegal fireworks.

I want to be able to say that only certain types of fireworks should be illegal, because I have fond memories as a child of setting off bottle rockets and firecrackers and the like -- but at the same time, where do you draw the line on what is and isn't a dangerous firework? And at the same time, banning only certain types surely makes it harder to enforce than an outright ban.

So yes, put me down for a very firm maybe
        Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
        Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I'm fine with fireworks and even aerials. The homemade sparkler bombs are what I don't like.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

For me it's a matter of the amount of fireworks one pops. I don't have a problem if someone pops 10 to 20 of them in a safe manner. Popping a strip of 2,000 of them at time kind of loses it's appeal.

And no aerials unless it's done in a professional show.

Comment

I think that those of us who grew up outside the state can't believe the danger & pollution that goes on in the name of "culture".

I think that those of us who grew up here are too close to the problem ("tradition", "family") to recognize the inconsistency.

Interesting that support of fireworks generally goes along age & gender lines (younger males) and that few, if any, community leaders or public figures (politicians or celebrities) are in favor of them.

Looks like this problem goes in the same category as marijuana, cockfighting, and shoplifting. Oh, but wait, those don't wake me up in the middle of the night, scare the crap out of me, or make it hard for me to breathe...
              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Ban. But everyone runs afoul of the law for many things anyway. I am always annoyed at the lack of clean up, all that paper and crap everywhere, lazy idiots.

Comment

We've discussed this topic at length so many times.

It's all in the archives.

Anyways, I say leave it to the professionals. Those who have asthma and other illnesses suffer so much. Especially, the senior citizens who have nobody to take care of them. Children who have asthma like my grandson need to be near their machines.

It's pretty to see the fireworks in the sky. The noise and opala on the streets are terrible. Homemade bombs scare the heck out of me. And the thought of someone getting hurt from it is even worse.

It's a time for change. Burning Kala is not wise at all. Times are hard.

Leave it to the Professionals who can afford to give us a show!

Auntie Lynn

btw: There will be a Fireworks Show at Aloha Tower tonight. And your's truly is working Security. Come see me in my uniform. I look SHARP. Behave. ha ha ha
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; December 31, 2008, 06:34 AM.
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Legal fireworks, sure, but some legal stuff I've seen are borderline like those ground bloom flowers with report. My thinking is anything that pops is supposed to be limited to only a certain amount of powder, hence the anemic firecrackers we've had for years now. Even the classic Duck Brand has lacked the punch and flash they once had in their glory days. I suppose they got around the law as GBF's aren't classified as a "firecracker".

Illegal aerials, don't get me started. Been hearing them around the block almost everynight since Halloween. Been like this for the past decade+. Dogs are now totally neurotic. Noone bothers calling in a complaint anymore cause the cops always give the excuse that they have to catch the person lighting them. Yeah, whatever officer. Go'way den.

Now don't get me wrong. I love all sorts of privately used fireworks so long as they're used responsibly and only when they're supposed to be used. Unfortunately, there are way too many stupidheads nowdays....on both sides of the law.

Btw, I find those particulate respirators made of "paper" work pretty darned good. Can't even smell the smoke at midnight. The one we have is the 3M 8000 and bought a whole box of 30 from Gaspro for $15. Some may argue that it isn't enough, but I no longer get that "tight" chest, the next morning, from breathing all that smoke for hours the previous night. Other users also report getting good results. YMMV.

Comment

I could be wrong here, but I don't remember having much of a problem with the illegal aerials until we had a restrictive law on firecrackers.

Too many people didn't want to be limited to a pack of 500, so they went to the black market. Then they found the black market has other goodies .... it's been downhill a lost cause since.

Comment

Gecko is totally right on this one.

It's the same as the War on Drugs. A ban only benefits the sellers by keeping price high.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

All the tons of illegal aerials just proves the unsatisfactory security of our ports.
                          The stuff isn't made here but does get here.

Small kine comparison:
                          Cigarette smokers can't invade the space of others with their smoke while firecracker smoke disturbs many, in even worse ways?

By reading over some HT'ers responses to this, it seems that laws can't be enforced here in Hawaii... so why try?
                          Did I get that right? Huh?
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I voted that everyone should be allowed to use fireworks because there's no "undecided" option. I'm really undecided.

I hate the trash and noise associated with fireworks, but the state has laws about noise and trash, so if HPD chooses not to enforce them on holidays, the beauty and peace of everyone's neigborhoods will suffer.

The possibility of fires and injury is scary. So called safe fireworks make no difference - I had a firecracker go off in my hands when I was 15, while I was being supervised by my whole family one 4th of July. When I was 27 I got hit in the face with a bottle rocket in Mexico. I'm still not sure if that was one of the ones I was lighting, or one from down the beach. Thankfully I had no serious injuries from either incident, but what if I had to live with one less thumb or eye?! I don't light fireworks anymore!

Still, though, I LOVE to watch fireworks, especially the really big sparkly ones. At home here the neighborhood has been festive with fireworks, and whenever I hear one that sounds like it might be pretty, I run outside to watch.

Sidenote - as a kid we always had to spend part of the day afterward cleaning the yard until every trace of fireworks was picked up. And my old roommate from Hollywood would always spend "fireworks holidays" with the fire extinguisher in one hand and his cellphone to CHP in the other. A bit extreme...

PS - Hey Auntie!! I'll be in the area, and we're stopping by for a hug tonight!! Are you allowed to hug civillians while on duty?
                            Last edited by turtlegirl; December 31, 2008, 08:44 AM.
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Wednesday's Advertiser had this story about 2 people being arrested after trying to sell aerial fireworks.

As far as enforcing the laws it is kind of difficult to do, I think anyone attempting to fire off an aerial is not going to stick around long enough to be caught by the police.

Comment

Working...
                              X