Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Least Favorite National TV Ads

Memorable.. doesn't always work. I remember Anacin ads from when I was a kid, a guy bellowing FAST FAST FAST RELIEF and I have never once bought Anacin because of those obnoxious ads. There is a radio ad for some re fi company with astoundingly irritating female voices singing the company phone number and if I ever want to re fi I will definitely avoid that company. Remembering an obnoxious ad is kind of like remembering a restaurant that gave you food poisoning. Yes, you remember, but avoid. As a group I think insurance companies have fairly amusing ads. But I am not going to change my insurance because of them.

In the last few years lots of advertisers have taken to adding a background track of what I hesitate to call music. Its more like racket. I'm sure there's a technical term for what it is but I don't like it. I do not like any ad that shouts. Thats what the mute button is for. Or, and stations should pay attention to this, the channel change button. We made an interesting discovery. When you push the mute button whats on the screen actually compels attention. You (well, I, anyway) pay attention more with no sound, maybe because we are such visually oriented creatures. Sound very often repels but silence compels.

A friend from England observed about American TV ads that half the ads are for medicines and the other half are for lawyers suing the medicine companies. A bit of an exaggeration but there is some truth there.

Last edited by Kalalau; February 17th, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old June 6th, 2013, 02:27 AM
Ali`i

http://money.msn.com/now/the-10-wors...t-infomercials

I haven't purchased any of those.
Old May 29th, 2015, 04:16 AM
Ali`i

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_New...2911432129576/

Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Old May 29th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Ali`i

I probably said it before, but I forget:

It's those huge hamsters rocking and bopping and driving KIAs.

Wish those ads were K.I.A.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:29 AM
Ali`i

There is an ad running lately, I think it is for a hair regrowth pill, that puts the rush on with something along the line of:
"If your last name is between A-N, call now. If it is between O-Z, you may call after 9am tomorrow".
I envision:
Me: Hello....Ahhhhh gee, I want to really really order your product right now but my last name is "Zoomerboomer".
Customer Service: Sorry, you will need to wait until tomorrow morning to call us. We are not able to take money from Z people right now.

I know many companies think of customers as fools, but do they have to remind it of their low opinion of the public so blatantly?
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:06 AM
Ali`i

The promo commercial for the tv series Superstore where a character licks ice cream from the floor after a kid has eaten it. They showed a vomit joke when some viewers might be eating.
Old January 5th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Ali`i

There is a current TV ad for toilet tissue that uses bear cartoon characters. The latest ad is that the toilet paper is so efficient that you .... get ready for a cringe..... that you could wear your underwear for a second day.

That ad is just so wrong on many levels ...
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:12 AM
Ali`i

The Jack in the Box Crave ads. Noticed two different ones so far but the part that irks me is the woman who yells we have a craving, or something to that effect.
Old April 23rd, 2017, 02:54 AM
Ali`i

Because of the bad example it sets in terms of safety, a least favorite national ad now being shown is one for Nissan. The ad shows a child on a big-wheel-type of tricycle that is peddling madly down the sidewalk, racing the (probably) Mom's car that is driving fast beside them on the road.

What is so dangerous is that the child blasts down the sidewalk, assumingly crossing over the entrances to neighbors' driveways. Great message for the kiddies ..... race around on your tricycle and just hope that nobody is backing out of their driveway at the same time. Children don't understand the difference between an ad and real behavior. And it is equally irksome that they are presenting an adult driver that is an idiot.

Shame on Nissan.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:48 PM
Ali`i

The over exuberant man yelling "LIBRARY BREAK", then the stereotyped (hair in bun, glasses) librarian having a Kit Kat bar shoved up to her face.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 12:47 AM
Kumu

Almost all car ads set bad examples. Speeding, drifting etc.
The ad I hate most is the one where the guy brings home the wrong steaks. His girls and wife stand there sneering at him. What disrespect! If it was me I would them Those steaks are fine, if you donít like them go to the store yourself. In fact, the two girls would probably be put on permanently on food shopping duty.
Old April 15th, 2019, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

The commercial with NBA players Chris Paul and James Harden where a NBA mascot shoots an automatic t-shirt gun. It's too eerie that can remind of the Vegas sniper massacre tragedy.