Will Ferrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Ferrell

Has the star of this movie EVER done anything on any screen that was actually funny?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Newsroom 2 - why?

I take it from your vague post which doesn't name the actor with the incorrect movie title of Newsroom 2 you must be referring to Will Ferrell in the movie Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues? Of course this is guess on my part.

Comment

Re: Will Ferrell

They did over promote the movie with commercials. But, I thought those were funny.
      Ask Bradski what he thinks?
      Last edited by Walkoff Balk; December 23, 2013, 09:01 PM. Reason: add

Comment

He was tragically funny in Stranger than Fiction. He was mildly charming and funny in Elf. I don't know how funny he was in Everything Must Go, but he was very good in it. In The Campaign, there were several laugh-aloud moments.

But that's all on the big screen.

I suppose by the way you word your question ("...on ANY screen") that you disliked him on SNL. It's true that he was usually over the top, but sometimes that played well, as in the original More Cowbell sketch. There were also some moments of heartbreaking brilliance, as in the earlier cheerleader sketches he did with Cheri Oteri. Oteri was the real strength of those sketches, shining optimism in the shadow of silly sadness, but Farrell held his own. Like many recurring sketches, that one sort of forgot where it came from, but thankfully it's just as easy now to see an older version of that sketch as a more recent.

I'm not really a fan. However, Everything Must Go and Stranger Than Fiction are wonderful, wonderful comic-tragic performances and if you haven't seen them, I'd recommend giving them a try.

Here's kind of a cute scene from Stranger Than Fiction, with Maggie Gyllenhaal and narrated by Emma Thompson.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          ... However, Everything Must Go and Stranger Than Fiction are wonderful, wonderful comic-tragic performances and if you haven't seen them, I'd recommend giving them a try.
          He has a pretty good range, these movies proved it. He is a LOT more than his "characters".
          flickr

An email from God:
          To: People of Earth
          Date: 9/04/2007
          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            He was tragically funny in Stranger than Fiction. I don't know how funny he was in Everything Must Go, but he was very good in it.
            I suppose by the way you word your question ("...on ANY screen") that you disliked him on SNL.
            It's true that he was usually over the top, but sometimes that played well, as in the original More Cowbell sketch.
            Seems he's better when comedy is more the spice than full course. I doubt I'll spend the time on these two movies but maybe I won't throw a fit if they happen to play when I'm around. Thanx for the suggestions.
            He ruined SNL.
            So that's where that came from? I like 'more cowbell!', but I'm doubting he was sincere... He'll never give up the income the comedies make him but maybe he'll do more creative stuff. Not that I'll watch it, I'm not a Hollywood movie watching guy anymore, but revulsion shouldn't be my first reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
              Ask Bradski what he thinks?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5JiH5DUZ_o

It's Bill Brasky.

Comment

Doesn't sound like you're planning to see it anyway, but we had a pretty good conversation about Stranger than Fiction. Ryan and I disagreed about the ending, but we (and a few others) agree that Ferrell is good in it.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I did watch the STF trailer on yt and damn if he was wasn't actually tolerable for those moments. But planning on watching it, not in this lifetime, but life is full of surprises.

Comment

Working...
                  X