Plate lunch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plate lunch questions

This was mentioned before, but since we're back on the subject, it's not only what's on the plate, but also the plate itself. You may recall Kanda "Kewalo" Lunch Wagon, formerly located at the Daimond Head entrance to Kewalo Basin. Even in modern times when everyone else served their plate lunches in those sterile (characterless) white plasti-foam clamshells, "Kewalo's" continued to serve their fantastic plate lunches the old school way, using a "Chinette style" (cheap) paper plate, wrapped up to stay hot in butcher paper and rubber band. Gosh, do I miss that. Gosh, do I miss them!

Another more old school style way of serving plate lunches was the paper plate placed into a cardboard box, with a square piece of wax paper placed on top to keep the steam in. Zippy's used that method for years, only in the last, what? 5 years? 10 years? did they cave in and went with plastic shells. At least theirs is black though. Looks much more elegant than than white as far as presentation. Richie's Drive Inn in Kalihi still serves their plates in cardboard box. So does Rainbow Drive Inn.

Here's an example of the "sterile" (characterless) plasti-foam clamshell "plate" everyone uses nowadays, in this example, Kim Chee Fried Rice and Teriyaki Beef from Kristen's Kitchen in Waipahu...

Kristen's Kitchen in Waipahu - Kim Chee Fried Rice & Teriyaki Beef, $6.95

Here was have the more old school style, in this example from Jin Joo Korean Restaurant in Waimalu Shopping Center...

Jin Joo Korean Restaurant in Waimalu Shopping Center – Mundoo/Meat Chun/Chicken, $7.25

Jin Joo Korean Restaurant in Waimalu Shopping Center – Mundoo/Meat Chun/Chicken, $7.25

For me, I much prefer this old school style paper plate and box. IMO, that sterile white plasti-foam clamshell container takes away some of the dish's character, no matter how good the food itself is. Perhaps the paper material of the plate and/or cardboard box absorbs the scent of the food and preserves its flavor better than the plastic plate. The grease that soaks into the paper plate making it soggy just adds to the romance of it. lol

Some of the REALLY old school okazuyas (there's one on Kauai) serves their food in the cardboard box, SANS the plate! For realz! They just put the stuff in the cardboard box, with just a piece of wax paper liner underneath to prevent the oil from soaking through the box and that's it. Classic.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wonderful write-up as always Pomai-san.

Now I'm HUNGRY.

I'm gonna walk to Zippy's.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Fantastic > Are they original photos ?

Comment

Pomai, your photos are always so good. And I’m with you, I prefer the old-style paper plate with waxed paper. Here’s a photo I took of a beef curry plate at Kanda’s just before they closed in 2003. It’s not nearly as good as your photos. You can hardly see the paper plate because of the paper lining. The only thing that’s missing to make it real old-time is a wooden spork instead of the plastic knife and fork.

Kandas.jpg

Here’s a link to a Star-Bulletin article about Kanda’s closing in 2003. You can see better photos of the paper plate/paper lining.

Comment

Great Pickies which make my mouth water,

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the great pictures.

Comment

Great photos and the food is very tempting. Yet I never liked sticky rice in Hawaii. I think we eat Basmati rice (Tatt will put you on the correct route if I have made a mistake.) It's separate and fluffy. I mix mine with some dried veggies before I cook it and also throw in some saffron.

Comment

Some places will offer brown rice instead of white rice but they will charge extra for it.

Comment

You can still get an old-fashioned plate lunch -- on a paper plate, covered in cheap tin foil, all in a cardboard box -- at The Heights in Aiea. Pretty good hamburger steak over there.

..and speaking of Zippy's, did you know you can do substitutions in the Zip Pac? I don't know what all the rules are, but I always order mine "no teri, extra chicken". They'll leave out the crappy teri beef and give me an extra piece of fried chicken, no additional charge.
                    Last edited by zff; July 7, 2009, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Plate lunch prices could reach $20 soon | KHON2Plate lunch prices could reach $20 soon | KHON2

I bought a plate lunch today with a three dollars price hike for the same item.

Comment

LIST: Food combinations only found in Hawaii (khon2.com)

Not only in Hawaii. You can find those combos in Vegas.

Comment

Working...
                        X