X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The secret to, and why radio will survive

Nothing new here...

the secret to good radio, and the reason radio will
    survive- is community... we crave it... we rely on it...

we may jump to CDs, MP3s, Satellite, 8 tracks, cassettes,
    whatever- but after a time we need to connect to someone
    that shares our current experiences and surroundings.

Having a live person, that is conveying information
    and sharing feelings of current events- is vital to the
    radio experience.

TV didn't kill radio, cassettes didn't, 8 tracks didn't, a lot
    of new technologies have threatened... but radio persists...
    it's free- it's current- it's the friend that's always there.

Good tracking is almost ok- but live really is the best.
    Preproduced shows and sattellite feeds serve a function
    but when all is said and done-

it's that person to person connection that keeps radio
    relevant and alive.

If owners and programmers don't see that- they'll lose
    audience and indeed revenue.

But the stations that keep the person to person
    feeling going will do well-

just my opinion

Re: The secret to, and why radio will survive

You're correct on the live person aspect. How many times have I seen the board lit up in some studios in CC with no one sitting at the console to take those queries.

Those listeners are expecting a voice to answer. When I did live radio in the 80's there was at least one phone call a week from a desperate single mom or an addict who was reaching out for help. One mom and her two children were being kicked out as we spoke from an abuse shelter on Christmas Eve because her stay was one day too long. There was no one else to call! All the clergy at the churches were doing their Christmas Mass, the social services were shut down for the holidays, the cops were the ones forceably taking her out. There was no one else but the radio station she listened to.

Now it was our turn to listen to her. We ended up broadcasting her plight and within minutes callers were donating their homes and goods for this family. The shelter upon hearing the pleas to let her stay rescinded their eviction until after Christmas. But it took the media to help this woman and her children from being kicked out that rainy Christmas Eve night.

When I see studio phone boards lit up and not being manned I wonder which of those calls was a call for help. One can only wonder.

We really need to rethink how radio stations are being utilized. A live body at the controls is radio...anything else is just pre-recorded media and you can get that from an Ipod player!
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 12, 2005, 12:58 PM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

been there. felt that. thanks for reminding me.

Comment

I worked Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day for a number of years. Novemer and December always stayed with me the other 10 months because of the handful of calls I would receive during the holiday period.

Unless you've sat there and listened to someone pour their heart out, you can't truly understand.

Yet another reason I think radio is best medium to reach out to the audience one-on-one. Tailoring stuff for a specific audience ain't nothing new...

*pouring out a little liquor for the true radio folk... you know who you are, even if you ain't got a gig...*

Comment

The secret to, and why radio will survive

I agree!!! all though I have been in Radio for only a number of years I often wonder about what would have happened if I hadnt picked up the phone...

A while back I recieved a call from a girl who was on the verge of taking her life, it was mid december and she had been through alot! I managed to get her spirits up and explained to her that even though I didnt know her I was a open ear while in the studio, I think now days, jocks are more concernd with getting all the commercials on the air, then picking up the request line to hear whats going on with the listeners

Comment

Working...
          X